Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 12:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
I mean those answers just don’t mean anything, because those places are “cities” in name only. And somewhere like phoenix has to be like 2/3
transplants?
What does "transplants" have to do with it. I bet there aren't 100 adults in all of

Las Vegas whose four grandparents were all born there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 04:44 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
The answer has to be some smaller city in the mid-Atlantic or Great Lakes. Williamsport, PA maybe?

Old 02-19-2023, 07:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
While many in the Cuban and other South American immigrants in Miami Dade vote Republican because of they experienced oppression from communist governments or other reasons specific to them, is the area really 'socially conservative'? That might be true for the metro but unlikely for the city proper.
This was a good response. I am aware that the Cuban population in Miami generally votes republican but when I think of somewhere being “socially conservative” Miami is not the first place that comes to mind. Just out of curiosity, is Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) a more conservative stronghold? Where do most of the Republican voters live in the Miami area? I haven’t explored the area much outside the touristy areas so I’m just curious.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 19,964 times
Tulsa will likely be the last red city.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:17 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
While many in the Cuban and other South American immigrants in Miami Dade vote Republican because of they experienced oppression from communist governments or other reasons specific to them, is the area really 'socially conservative'? That might be true for the metro but unlikely for the city proper.
Maybe. A lot of old people live there.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:30 AM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Just out of curiosity, is Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) a more conservative stronghold? Where do most of the Republican voters live in the Miami area? I haven’t explored the area much outside the touristy areas so I’m just curious.
Broward County votes consistently more Democratic than Miami-Dade County, so it is not a conservative stronghold. From my understanding the more Republican areas of Southeast Florida are in northern Palm Beach County, or some of the most ethnically Cuban dominated parts of inland Miami-Dade.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:38 PM

158 posts, read 168,007 times
If by conservative you mean republican interchangeably, recent history NYC had back to back republican mayors really not too long ago. For a big city that's an insane thought now adays. It's has some really red pockets because it's such a big city. If you took out Bronx and Manhattan it would be A LOT more interesting races today.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:17 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Staten Island if you count it.

Tulsa, OK
Fargo, ND
Evansville, IN
Wichita, KS
Mayyybe CO Springs

I'm basing this all on population density of at least 2K, 6-figure population and recent federal/state/local election results.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:05 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Borough Park in Brooklyn is an Orthodox Jewish community known for its conservativism. https://www.wnyc.org/story/orthodox-...-borough-park/

Old 02-21-2023, 05:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not a "city" by any stretch, but Pennsylvania's "coal region" has a number of faded industry boom towns that are actually quite structurally dense, especially by rural standards.

While these quintessential white, working-class towns were fairly Democratic a generation ago, some have become staunchly conservative in today's political landscape.

Mt. Carmel, PA is a prime example. It has a population density of almost 9,000/sqmi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The answer has to be some smaller city in the mid-Atlantic or Great Lakes. Williamsport, PA maybe?
These are great responses. A lot of respondents here are thinking "big city," rather than "distinct urban character" as the OP stated. OKC is not distinctly urban. It is big and sprawling. Miami surely has some urban corridors, but those will not be the most conservative parts of the metro, especially in the "working class, socially conservative" sense as the OP qualifies.

Look at small cities in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Williamsport and Mt. Carmel were good suggestions. The whole US 15 corridor from Williamsport to just before Harrisburg is pretty conservative and has quite a few urban small cities. Selinsgrove, Sunbury, and even Lewisburg (even with Bucknell) are all quite urban in character and conservative. York, PA is another that comes to mind if you're looking for a bit bigger while still relatively conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.