Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:20 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
I’d guess some small rust belt cities in Ohio or PA, maybe. All large east coast cities that are truly urban of course are now filled with yuppies and minority groups who can be relied on to vote blue. Are there any cities with a distinctly urban character that still retain the working class (socially)conservative spirit of the 20th century? It seems like the cities often said to be the most conservative are the sprawling metros of Texas…not really urban in any traditional sense
Most Rust Belt cities aren't very dense anymore. By definition they have lost significant 30-40-50+ percent of their populations since 1980. Also, most have significant Black populations, i.e., vote Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 09:22 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
While I wouldn't describe any as conservative, but any city in the south will have it's share of conservatives.
Plus most aren't very dense.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:32 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
This was a good response. I am aware that the Cuban population in Miami generally votes republican but when I think of somewhere being “socially conservative” Miami is not the first place that comes to mind. Just out of curiosity, is Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) a more conservative stronghold? Where do most of the Republican voters live in the Miami area? I haven’t explored the area much outside the touristy areas so I’m just curious.
Being from Miami it's almost laughable that one would think it's Socially Conservative. The reason Cubans vote Republican has to do with their foreign policy stance on Cuba dating back to Reagan when he visited Little Havana, drank some Cuban coffee and said "Cuba Si, Castro No".

Old 02-22-2023, 03:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Mt. Carmel is two thirds of a square mile in size and has a Democratic mayor. Clearly a much better answer than OKC
You are confusing large cities with urban character. The party of officials elected to local offices is a weak indicator of political dispositions of a given municipality. NYC had Republican mayors throughout much of the '90s and '00s, but that did not make it a bastion of conservatism at the time. That area of Pennsylvania is quite conservative, and the towns like Mt. Carmel have an urban form. Have you been?

Old 02-24-2023, 04:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Cincinnati’s metro area is relatively red/conservative but the city itself is deep blue so I don’t know how much that counts.
This is the same for Pittsburgh. The city (population 300,000) is deep blue. Surrounding Allegheny County (population well over 1,200,000) leans blue---usually in about a 60/40 or 58/42 sort of split. The surrounding suburban "collar" counties are DEEP red---like think 80/20 split.

Oh, and my vote goes to Oklahoma City, obviously. Tulsa, too, but Oklahoma City answers this question better since it is a much larger city than Tulsa.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:33 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Being from Miami it's almost laughable that one would think it's Socially Conservative. The reason Cubans vote Republican has to do with their foreign policy stance on Cuba dating back to Reagan when he visited Little Havana, drank some Cuban coffee and said "Cuba Si, Castro No".
The Cubans who fled to Florida in 1959 when Castro came to power were the country’s monied elite. They were naturals for the Republican Party, especially after JFK denied air cover for the Bay of Pigs invasion. There’s 20 years of history prior to Reagan.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:15 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
This was a good response. I am aware that the Cuban population in Miami generally votes republican but when I think of somewhere being “socially conservative” Miami is not the first place that comes to mind. Just out of curiosity, is Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) a more conservative stronghold? Where do most of the Republican voters live in the Miami area? I haven’t explored the area much outside the touristy areas so I’m just curious.
Broward is more liberal/democrat than Dade because it doesn't have the large amount of Cubans.

And maybe 10-15 years ago I would agree with you, but being of Cuban heritage and most my family lives in Miami and its suburbs... no. Miami has gone far to the right with its latino community, and not just Cuban, but even Venezuelans and to a lesser extent, Colombians.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:04 AM

678 posts, read 410,346 times
First place that came to mind seeing this question pop up was Springfield, Missouri.

Am I way off?

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 02-25-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.