Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 01:09 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post

That guy is a lunatic lol, did you see his campaign ad for the Ohio Senate last year?
I did not, but my brother and/or my brother's friend follow him on Twitter for the lols and were telling me about it at some point. In his book he professes a more reasonable brand of Republican ideology...still wouldn't be someone I'd vote for, but at that time he was not so obviously unhinged. As stated previously, the book was a great read. In making the transition he's made, he's merely reflected larger trends in this diseased nation.

Re: your question about Appalachia, it's a fair question, especially given the survival of 'Appalachia' as somewhat of a distinct subculture...but I'd say there's been enough assimilation where it wouldn't be a deal-breaker (in terms of making any given Ohio city ineligible for the coveted 'most average' designation, heh). I could be underestimating the present-day prevalence of 'hillbillies' in JD Vance parlance though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
With all this considered, did you read my previous post?
I eventually got to it, hah

Old 02-20-2023, 01:14 PM

678 posts, read 409,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
So, if you could pick a county, or a few counties, in the US that:
* Has average income and average cost of living

* Not too urban, not too rural either
* Balanced politics

Essentially, a slice that you could pick to represent the country on avg.
My final answer is Des Moines, Iowa.

Demographically it is very close to the national average and on top of that, it lacks the industrialization of the east, the aridness of the west, the Nordic influences of the far north, and has virtually no southern influence whatsoever.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:05 PM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Des Moines has very similar racial demographics to the USA. About 60% white, 12% black, 15% hispanic and 7% Asian. It also has almost exactly the same foreign born population at about 15% foreign born(not bad at all for a city in the Midwest). Has an ok mix of neighborhoods and a fast growing ring of suburbs. Things like crime rates in the city proper are also close to the national average.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Springfield.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
As stated previously, the book was a great read. In making the transition he's made, he's merely reflected larger trends in this diseased nation.
I can tell you for a fact it's not just the US that's diseased, the whole of the western world has gone insane with politcal polarization. It's even worse when you live in a smaller country with a large population, such as the UK, where I live.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Des Moines has very similar racial demographics to the USA. About 60% white, 12% black, 15% hispanic and 7% Asian. It also has almost exactly the same foreign born population at about 15% foreign born(not bad at all for a city in the Midwest). Has an ok mix of neighborhoods and a fast growing ring of suburbs. Things like crime rates in the city proper are also close to the national average.
Good pick. I did not realize Des Moines was quite that diverse. If you take all of Polk County, you'd have a good mix of rural/suburban/urban as well. The county leans a bit Democratic relative to the rest of the country, but it isn't deep blue.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Are you saying this because you agree with what I said, or you just happened to have the same opinion?

Old 02-20-2023, 03:18 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Peoria (IL) used to be used as shorthand for 'Middle America'. Columbus OH used to be a marketing laboratory (and may still be one, for all I know) for various companies who wanted to see how their product would play in America at large, because it was considered the most generic, average city in existence.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/columbu...et-of-the-usa/
Used to be shorthand for Middle America, but these days it's shorthand for how to get yourself killed.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Used to be shorthand for Middle America, but these days it's shorthand for how to get yourself killed.
Really? Demise of Peoria eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.