Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:07 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,146 times

Advertisements

Don't forget about the lovely prison in Joliet, IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 04:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
My first thought was Des Moines, but then I thought to myself "I bet it's 85% white, non-Hispanic". After seeing it is actually fairly diverse I am going to stick with Des Moines.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:56 AM

678 posts, read 409,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My first thought was Des Moines, but then I thought to myself "I bet it's 85% white, non-Hispanic". After seeing it is actually fairly diverse I am going to stick with Des Moines.
I personally would not stick with Des Moines despite what I’ve previously said. Not only is it a state capital, it’s also too urban and city-like and fast-growing.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:11 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I personally would not stick with Des Moines despite what I’ve previously said. Not only is it a state capital, it’s also too urban and city-like and fast-growing.
Des Moines proper is only 5.3% growth 2010-20 in the city limits, close to the national average, but apparently Polk County is 14.3%, wow. West Des Moines is up 21.4%.

It's a very solid answer as far as demographic breakdown goes (race, education, income) but I agree, it seems odd for the most "average" US county to be centered on a fairly major regional city with a downtown full of skyscrapers.

Taking a slight detour, ignoring demographics entirely, I wonder what kind of county would have the most average or representative natural environment in the US? Instinctively I would name somewhere like Kittitas County, WA, where you have rolling hills, mountains, farmland, and scrubland. It's fairly dry but less so than places farther inland, and gets some snow but not as much as more-inland/higher-elevation places. Of course the demographics of Kittitas County are anything but average- its hub is the college town of Ellensburg.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Des Moines proper is only 5.3% growth 2010-20 in the city limits, close to the national average, but apparently Polk County is 14.3%, wow. West Des Moines is up 21.4%.

It's a very solid answer as far as demographic breakdown goes (race, education, income) but I agree, it seems odd for the most "average" US county to be centered on a fairly major regional city with a downtown full of skyscrapers.

Taking a slight detour, ignoring demographics entirely, I wonder what kind of county would have the most average or representative natural environment in the US? Instinctively I would name somewhere like Kittitas County, WA, where you have rolling hills, mountains, farmland, and scrubland. It's fairly dry but less so than places farther inland, and gets some snow but not as much as more-inland/higher-elevation places. Of course the demographics of Kittitas County are anything but average- its hub is the college town of Ellensburg.
I wouldn’t know the answer to that question, as I haven’t had time to research the other regions of the United States as much since my focus is overwhelmingly on the Midwest. I’d probably agree with your assertion though.

If we were to identify average America by demographics and culture though, instead of mid-sized towns or outlying suburbs, to me these would be the most American counties;

*Will County, IL

*Elkhart County, IN

*St. Clair County, IL

*Butler County, OH

*Stark County, OH

*Black Hawk County, IA

*Delaware County, IN

Old 02-24-2023, 06:41 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t know the answer to that question, as I haven’t had time to research the other regions of the United States as much since my focus is overwhelmingly on the Midwest. I’d probably agree with your assertion though.

If we were to identify average America by demographics and culture though, instead of mid-sized towns or outlying suburbs, to me these would be the most American counties;

*Will County, IL

*Elkhart County, IN

*St. Clair County, IL

*Butler County, OH

*Stark County, OH

*Black Hawk County, IA

*Delaware County, IN
Butler Cty is 91% white and 61% red in the 2020 presidential election...no way re: 'most average'. I suspect that a bunch of the other places in your list here will fall victim to similar demographic skewing. You did, however, manage to find the home county of the aforementioned JD Vance! Kudos...hah

Old 02-24-2023, 06:45 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:

*Will County, IL

*Elkhart County, IN

*St. Clair County, IL

*Butler County, OH

*Stark County, OH

*Black Hawk County, IA

*Delaware County, IN
There could be a case for some of these counties, but I'd definitely take Elkhart, IN off the table. That county has low educational levels and one of the highest proportions of blue collar employment in the nation. Their major industry is recreational vehicle manufacturing, which goes through sharp economic cycles as demand fluctuates. Elkhart also has a large Amish population who have noticeably old fashioned lifestyles very different from most of contemporary America.

Butler, OH seems like a better candidate to me - it has suburbia including both working class and upscale communities, old industrial cities and a significant public university. While predominantly White it does have moderate sized Black, Asian and Hispanic populations. Metro Cincinnati is a pretty balanced place in general.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Butler Cty is 91% white and 61% red in the 2020 presidential election...no way re: 'most average'. I suspect that a bunch of the other places in your list here will fall victim to similar demographic skewing. You did, however, manage to find the home county of the aforementioned JD Vance! Kudos...hah
What do you mean by demographic skewing?

Old 02-24-2023, 06:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Butler County, OH is well under 80% White as of the 2020 census. No argument that it is still mostly conservative.

https://data.dispatch.com/census/tot...hio/050-39017/

Old 02-24-2023, 06:48 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Stark County (home to Canton, OH) is 90% white and went 58% red in 2020. Very similar to Butler Cty. I don't have it in me to look up the non-Ohio counties but consider me skeptical, lol. Des Moines is probably a better answer than any of these, if I can extrapolate from the two OH counties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.