Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 07:05 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Was a top... was being operative. Syracuse is not thriving, and won't be in our lifetimes.

Ithaca is pricey.

None of what you're pushing meet the criteria.
Not true about Syracuse Athletics or that Downtown Syracuse hasn’t been revitalizing(which it has) or that the city has above average housing costs(which it doesn’t) or that it isn’t in an “blue” state.

Ithaca isn’t THAT pricy. A little above average in overall cost of living, sure, but it is still more affordable than the portion of the Northeast in the Bos-Wash corridor. Just to add for Ithaca, Ithaca College Football, which is a very good D3 program has a rivalry with Cortland State, another D3 school about 20 minutes away, called the Cortaca Jug. In recent years, the game has been played at Met Life Stadium and Yankee Stadium, but when it is played locally, it is known for being a big party. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortaca_Jug

https://www.cortacajug.com/history

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-23-2023 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Thriving is maybe a stretch, but the 2020 census was the first time in several decades where it netted a gain. Same with Rochester (though much smaller) and Buffalo (much larger gain). Even Binghamton gained. Sucks that SUNY Binghamton is so disconnected from the downtown though. Also, looking forward to Syracuse University being more integrated downtown with the moving of the old elevated freeway that separated them.
Exactly and you do have the Connective Corridor bus line, which connects University Hill with Downtown. So, in spite of I-81 going through the middle of the city, transit does connect the two core districts in the city. https://connectivecorridor.syr.edu/

https://www.centro.org/colleges/syracuse-university

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-23-2023 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 02:10 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not true about Syracuse Athletics or that Downtown Syracuse hasn’t been revitalizing(which it has) or that the city has above average housing costs(which it doesn’t) or that it isn’t in an “blue” state.

Ithaca isn’t THAT pricy. A little above average in overall cost of living, sure, but it is still more affordable than the portion of the Northeast in the Bos-Wash corridor. Just to add for Ithaca, Ithaca College Football, which is a very good D3 program has a rivalry with Cortland State, another D3 school about 20 minutes away, called the Cortaca Jug. In recent years, the game has been played at Met Life Stadium and Yankee Stadium, but when it is played locally, it is known for being a big party. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortaca_Jug

https://www.cortacajug.com/history
Syracuse may be revitalizing, but I'd agree with timberline that it isn't thriving, or particularly close to thriving. The criteria for that is somewhat subjective, but there'd need to be greater population and economic gains for 'cuse to be in that 'thriving' category.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Syracuse may be revitalizing, but I'd agree with timberline that it isn't thriving, or particularly close to thriving. The criteria for that is somewhat subjective, but there'd need to be greater population and economic gains for 'cuse to be in that 'thriving' category.
Thriving isn’t even in the OP, but a revitalizing/kept up Downtown is and Syracuse does have that and more housing is on the way. So, that was what I was referring to and it seems like people are overlooking the Micron announcement to build a campus in Clay with 9k employees, along with a total of about 40-50k when including associated jobs/employers over a 20 year period. I think if even half of that becomes true, it is hard to say that the area isn’t thriving. With that said, the city(which is only 25 square miles, btw)/area fits the at the very least, majority of the criteria.

Some more information that illustrates this: https://www.downtownsyracuse.com/do-...downtown-stats

https://www.localsyr.com/news/housin...ng-prices/amp/

https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data/

Old 02-26-2023, 02:53 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Okay....to perhaps help reel this back in, the Northeast US is out of the equation except for possibly a couple of PA towns like West Chester or Lewisburg. Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas are my finalists it seems. Any insights further for those options?

Old 02-26-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Okay....to perhaps help reel this back in, the Northeast US is out of the equation except for possibly a couple of PA towns like West Chester or Lewisburg. Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas are my finalists it seems. Any insights further for those options?
West Chester, I don’t believe fits the Athletic program criteria, but don’t quote me on that. West Chester State is a Division 2 program.

Lewisburg may fit, but given its location in PA, it is in that portion in the middle of the state and is quite small. You might as well consider places like Durham NH, Hamilton NY or Orono/Old Town ME as well.

In terms of Michigan, besides Kalamazoo, East Lansing/Lansing, Ypsilanti and maybe even Ann Arbor(cost of housing may be the only issue); Mount Pleasant home to Central Michigan University also in the Mid American and about an hour north of Lansing/30 minutes west of Midland(Dow Chemical HQ’s are located there) is another community that would/could fit what you are looking for.

Old 02-26-2023, 05:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
West Chester, I don’t believe fits the Athletic program criteria, but don’t quote me on that. West Chester State is a Division 2 program.

Lewisburg may fit, but given its location in PA, it is in that portion in the middle of the state and is quite small. You might as well consider places like Durham NH, Hamilton NY or Orono/Old Town ME as well.

In terms of Michigan, besides Kalamazoo, East Lansing/Lansing, Ypsilanti and maybe even Ann Arbor(cost of housing may be the only issue); Mount Pleasant home to Central Michigan University also in the Mid American and about an hour north of Lansing/30 minutes west of Midland(Dow Chemical HQ’s are located there) is another community that would/could fit what you are looking for.
I've actually been to West Chester, PA; Lewisburg, PA; and Mt. Pleasant, MI. My son lives in West Chester and I considered moving to both Lewisburg and Mt. Pleasant.

West Chester University is a Division II sports program. West Chester is a nice community and is located in a fairly affluent suburban area of Philadelphia. It would also be the most expensive of the three towns. West Chester University is smaller than Central Michigan and larger than Bucknell.

Mt. Pleasant, MI has the largest of the the three universities. It is a nice small town of around 22,000 people in the middle of a rural area.

Lewisburg, PA is the smallest of these towns with the smallest university. It is also the furthest from a large city.

Weatherwise, West Chester has the best climate while Mt. Pleasant has the worst.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:24 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Did you come to the conclusion that the NE is out of the equation based on the posts in this thread or for your own reasons?

Old 02-27-2023, 05:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Iowa City.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:23 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Did you come to the conclusion that the NE is out of the equation based on the posts in this thread or for your own reasons?
My own reasons, rental housing costs most notably although some areas in my mind anyway seem very depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.