Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times

Advertisements

Highland Park, Michigan. It ceased to exist for awhile, Municipal entities just shut. Detroit FD answered alarms as a courtesy. Power was off to about half the homes, they just ran extension cords next door. Nobody paid their bill. There was very little crime, people just resolved to get through communally. Schools continued on a largely volunteer basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 07:29 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Bronx and Brooklyn do not have these buildings on a mass scale, as do Philly or Detroit, or Chicago.

The Bronx and Brooklyn in the 1970s and 80s did--especially the Bronx.

Today's Bronx and Brooklyn are not bombed out at all--anywhere. Both boroughs are growing with high rents. There are bad areas, but they are expensive. If a large tract or tracts of buildings look "bombed out" or vacant, it's due to price or stubborness/dispute with the owner, 99% of the time, in NYC, anywhere.

Cities I would mention:

Youngstown, OH, Cleveland, OH, Hartford CT (smaller scale), and Memphis, TN (smaller scale and gentrification is slowly changing this)
I was just in the Bronx and a good portion is 'bombed out' and undeveloped. Its healthy and redeveloping but its still recovering from the 80s. If NYC continues its strong growth seen in the past 5 years, then it will probably be gone in about 10 years.

I would also add:
-Camden. NJ
-Springfield, MA
-Irvington, NJ
-Fulton, NY

Old 03-06-2023, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 4,410 times
Ride the Amtrak train coming from the north into Philadelphia, and you will see a part of North Philly that looks like Dresden circa 1945. It's sad.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:41 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I was just in the Bronx and a good portion is 'bombed out' and undeveloped. Its healthy and redeveloping but its still recovering from the 80s. If NYC continues its strong growth seen in the past 5 years, then it will probably be gone in about 10 years.

I would also add:
-Camden. NJ
-Springfield, MA
-Irvington, NJ
-Fulton, NY
The bolded is an odd one. I don't know about "bombed out", but the small city has a more "country"/blue collar/post industrial reputation.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:50 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

I would also add:
-Camden. NJ
-Springfield, MA
-Irvington, NJ
-Fulton, NY
When I think "bombed out," based on the OP description, these are areas I interpret as the meaning:

St Louis, MO:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6500...7i16384!8i8192

Detroit, MI:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4113...7i16384!8i8192

This is one of the worst areas in the Bronx, Highbridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8385...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-06-2023, 10:04 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
There are many articles about the problem...

https://www.wbaltv.com/amp/article/b...tions/39205061

But essentially between bureaucracy and the fact that the city itself doesn't exactly have that much money, adding on to the fact that for every building they knock down, one become abandoned...

SW Baltimore is definitely the worst when it comes to the eyesores.
East Baltimore has bombed our areas too, but Johns Hopkins is building like crazy, and the area around has houses either being rehabbed or torn town to build something new. West Baltimore (sandtown, Harlem Park, Upton..etc) is much worse

Old 03-06-2023, 11:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Yeah they do. So do parts of Harlem. Just drive the Bruckner or the Cross Bronx and the landscape is still littered with hollowed out ghetto projects.

They're not exactly lining the Bronx with high end luxury apts.

Maybe you don't have a car but if you have access to one just drive around and you'll see plenty of burned out projects still in the Bronx. Hell, get on the subway and you can spot them all over.

You don't even need to get off the highway to see them. No idea what you're talking about. I drive by those multiple times a week. And it wasn't the 80's when they disappeared either.

They were everywhere in the 90's.
Could you post a streetview? I'm looking in Google Earth and I don't see anything like what you're talking about, at all.

Obviously there's some areas right by the highways which are zoned industrial/commercial, and not really built up, but that's not blight/burned out. You wouldn't expect new residential highrises there anyway.

Some of the buildings may look pretty worn, but there's basically no rust-belt style vacant lots to speak of in the Bronx. Honestly urban prairie is even hard to find these days in large amounts in Newark. You really have to go all the way down to the Philly MSA (Camden, Chester, worst parts of North/West Philly) to find it in considerable amounts, though even then nothing holds a candle to the urban prairie somewhere like Detroit or North St. Louis.

Last edited by eschaton; 03-06-2023 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-06-2023, 12:46 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Could you post a streetview? I'm looking in Google Earth and I don't see anything like what you're talking about, at all.

Obviously there's some areas right by the highways which are zoned industrial/commercial, and not really built up, but that's not blight/burned out. You wouldn't expect new residential highrises there anyway.

Some of the buildings may look pretty worn, but there's basically no rust-belt style vacant lots to speak of in the Bronx. Honestly urban Prairie is even hard to find these days in large amounts in Newark. You really have to go all the way down to the Philly MSA (Camden, Chester, worst parts of North/West Philly) to find it in considerable amounts, though even then nothing holds a candle to the urban prairie somewhere like Detroit or North St. Louis.
That's what I was sort of referring to, as well.

I don't know of any "bombed out" areas in the Bronx, at all. There are some vacant buildings for sure, but as I mentioned, in New York City, buildings in poorer areas are vacant either due to a building violation that the landlord does not want to resolve, or the landlord does not want to sell, or there is some other type of situation.

The Bronx and Brooklyn do not have areas like St Louis, Cleveland, Baltimore, Detroit, etc--at all. NYC is a very expensive region, and even in the most poor and most crime-ridden areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn, rents are sky high and people are waiting to move in/purchase.

I need to see Google images of these areas a couple of people are referring to upthread, as well, because I don't know of any at all.

Bad neighborhoods, YES, 100%. Bombed out? Maybe a building or two, but not at all in a whole neighborhood due to depopulation or lack of desire to develop it. This was the case in the 1970s/1980s Bronx, but that era is over and the Bronx is pretty robust all over.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:08 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Some of the buildings may look pretty worn, but there's basically no rust-belt style vacant lots to speak of in the Bronx. Honestly urban Prairie is even hard to find these days in large amounts in Newark. You really have to go all the way down to the Philly MSA (Camden, Chester, worst parts of North/West Philly) to find it in considerable amounts, though even then nothing holds a candle to the urban prairie somewhere like Detroit or North St. Louis.
I'm talking large swaths. Also don't forget the Bronx and NYC in general are way more densely built than any other city in the US. You will get "urban prairies" there like this image The Bronx and Interstate 95 - OurKokopelli.com. Those are still littered throughout the Bronx.

However, even more than that, you will get a lot of mid rise and hi rise projects that are "bombed out" buildings still standing or remnants of them. Different built environment than most of those smaller, impoverished cities.

I don't use Google Earth or any of those tools (although I should probably learn how) but they're all over the place.

Here's another one...https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ga...7&searchtype=0

If you take the Deegan South past Yankee Stadium and then head out and over to the Bruckner you will see large swaths of dark, burned out buildings still standing.

That is only one spot. There's more of those directly north/south of the Cross Bronx by Webster Ave, Tremont Ave, Jerome Ave and more.

Hope those directional markers help with your geo search.

I just showed and listed a few examples and there's a lot more.

The Bronx is wayy better than it was before. It's just way more urban looking than basically anywhere else in the US. It's all relative.

Last edited by BigCity76; 03-06-2023 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-06-2023, 01:31 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Yeah they do. So do parts of Harlem. Just drive the Bruckner or the Cross Bronx and the landscape is still littered with hollowed out ghetto projects.

They're not exactly lining the Bronx with high end luxury apts.

Maybe you don't have a car but if you have access to one just drive around and you'll see plenty of burned out projects still in the Bronx. Hell, get on the subway and you can spot them all over.

You don't even need to get off the highway to see them. No idea what you're talking about. I drive by those multiple times a week. And it wasn't the 80's when they disappeared either.

They were everywhere in the 90's.
I haven't seen any of these buildings in Harlem Brooklyn or the Bronx. If they exist it definitely is not a lot. Im on the Bruckner and Cross Bronx all the time.

Bridgeport was another erroneous answer.

Baltimore is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.