Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 01:04 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
The trick is to convert former office buildings into apartments/condos. Another thing my town did right is build parking garages that are free evenings and weekends. It's very helpful for someone from the burbs to know they can park near the stores, restaurants, and activities.
Or we as a nation could build public transpiration and not turn our downtowns in to slaves of cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 01:42 PM

859 posts, read 695,526 times
Washington DC resident here.

I can confirm that our downtown is still a major hotspot.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:42 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
I haven't been to any major Downtowns in quite a while, but from what I'm hearing most Downtowns today exist for two purposes. A place for people to protest and a place for homeless camps.

I think Downtowns have been dying since probably the 1960s. I remember going to many Downtown Areas in the 1970s and being awestruck by how vibrant they were. Wall to wall people everywhere shopping and working. Department stores and storefronts selling everything imaginable. By the 1990s the crowds had thinned way down and the department stores and store fronts were all gone. The only thing left was giant skyscraper office buildings with homeless camped outside them.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:01 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Greenville, SC.

The downtown is the main attraction in the city. It is simply the best downtown I have ever been to. It's been great for at least ten years.

Most of the rest of the city is nothing special, but the downtown draws tourists and locals, and is just a great place to spend time.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:43 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Or we as a nation could build public transpiration and not turn our downtowns in to slaves of cars.
Are you affiliated with the Congress for New Urbanism by any chance?

Old 04-20-2023, 05:46 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Charleston’s downtown has so much that makes it tick over a large, contiguous area, and it’s quickly growing larger.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I haven't been to any major Downtowns in quite a while, but from what I'm hearing most Downtowns today exist for two purposes. A place for people to protest and a place for homeless camps.

I think Downtowns have been dying since probably the 1960s. I remember going to many Downtown Areas in the 1970s and being awestruck by how vibrant they were. Wall to wall people everywhere shopping and working. Department stores and storefronts selling everything imaginable. By the 1990s the crowds had thinned way down and the department stores and store fronts were all gone. The only thing left was giant skyscraper office buildings with homeless camped outside them.
You sound like my uncle who hasn’t been to Manhattan since 1985 and assumes it’s the same or worse as it was back then.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:16 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You sound like my uncle who hasn’t been to Manhattan since 1985 and assumes it’s the same or worse as it was back then.
It hasn't been that long. I have only been retired and out of the cities for the last eight years. I traveled and visited a lot of cities from the late 1970s to the late 1990s and witnessed the decline in Downtowns. Sometimes the best way to see change is when you go back to revisit a place after 20 years. When I did that I saw most of the vibrancy was gone from downtowns. Downtowns that were once filled with department stores and bright lights of movie theaters are just shells of their former selves. Restaurants and bars are about the only business that seem to have survived in downtowns and you can find these anywhere. You don't need to go downtown to find those.

Just search this forum for "Downtown" and the city of your choice. I bet the search results will be 99% negative. For example this thread.

Downtown Denver has gone so down hill - City-Data Forum

Old 04-22-2023, 09:42 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Ithaca is a small city that comes to mind: https://www.downtownithaca.com/

In terms of an even smaller city, Corning NY is a sleeper: https://www.gafferdistrict.com/
https://www.facebook.com/gafferdistrict
https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...rketstreet.htm

Old 04-22-2023, 07:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It hasn't been that long. I have only been retired and out of the cities for the last eight years. I traveled and visited a lot of cities from the late 1970s to the late 1990s and witnessed the decline in Downtowns. Sometimes the best way to see change is when you go back to revisit a place after 20 years. When I did that I saw most of the vibrancy was gone from downtowns. Downtowns that were once filled with department stores and bright lights of movie theaters are just shells of their former selves. Restaurants and bars are about the only business that seem to have survived in downtowns and you can find these anywhere. You don't need to go downtown to find those.

Just search this forum for "Downtown" and the city of your choice. I bet the search results will be 99% negative. For example this thread.

Downtown Denver has gone so down hill - City-Data Forum
My experience is the opposite. Compared to 20+ years ago, most cities' downtowns are more vibrant, have much larger populations, are cleaner. I'm sure there are some exceptions. If given the options to live in Manhattan in 2003 or 2023, I'm picking 2023. I'd say the same for Philadelphia, DC, Boston, Chicago, LA. I don't have enough experience with Denver (the thread you linked) to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.