Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 11:18 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Male, surviving spouse, middle 70s. Lived in a large city, suburbs, state capital, small rural town, now in an outlier semi-rural community in a metro area. Retired CJ researcher and former city planner living in the high desert.

Tier A
Education System, Health Care Access, Weather (mild climate), Mountains/Hiking (scenic outdoor rec.), adding: reliable communication/internet access*, diversity*, spiritual connection*.

Tier B
Population Size (i.e. smaller), Culture/Art scene, Politics (i.e. rational liberal), Restaurants (& bars), Transportation System, Taxes.

Tier C
Clubs/Nightlife, Sports, Lots of Social Events, Near a Major City, Near an Airport, Driving Experiences, Crime (i.e. trending up or down), Variety of Industry.

Tier D
Near other States, Beaches. (Both are okay to visit)

---------

*---> Spiritual connections.
I have found that one of the most difficult things to find in a new community is a church or some sort of religious/spiritual connection that does not feel totally alien or out of sync with your own needs. You may place more or less importance on that connection according to the different tiers. I would avoid living in a place is overwhelmed by bible thumpers or one "approved" faith.

*---> Diversity.
I find a lack of diversity to be very stifling and boring. I lived over half of my life in a small town that was very non-diverse to the point that certain people were essentially invisible. I made my current choice of location with a (Tier A) requirement of a high measure of diversity.

*---> Reliable communication/internet access*
I live 1,000 miles from family but I'm in contact with them almost daily. The recent pandemic underscored how important it is to be connected even if not in person. I live in a somewhat isolated area where such communication could be important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 11:55 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
64YO retired tech professional, foodie, cigar and wine aficionado, world traveler, sports fan, in great shape and active:

Tier 1

Warm weather, beaches, clean (minimal homeless) and modern, top tier urban amenities (restaurants, nightlife, shopping, sports league presence, entertainment), hub airport with direct flights, walkability.

Tier 2

Healthcare, groomed /stylish / good looking populace, crime, police response/presence, taxes, professional—but not nerdified— and multi cultured presence, greenery

Tier 3

Education/university, public transportation (I can afford a car and Uber).

Tier 4

Mountains (high rises are my mountains), population size, near other states.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-11-2023 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-11-2023, 09:17 PM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
Tier S: Food, as in grocery stores and farmers' markets (Restaurants, while nice, aren't that important). The primary thing I look for when moving is a place where I can walk to the grocery store. It takes precedence over everything else.

Tier 1: Mountains/Hiking, Culture/Art scene, Driving Experience (bad traffic in cities I'm not familiar with highly limits where I'm willing to move in that city. Due to familiarity, Birmingham, Knoxville and Atlanta are exempt, though Atlanta would be I'm never entering/leaving the perimeter depending which side I move to). Variety of Industry (more for people to meet; I don't like heavy white collar/academic cities as people tend to be of the same creepy mindset in those places even in the skinsuits are diverse)

Tier 2: Health Care Access, Taxes, Near a Major City, Near an Airport, Beaches, Restaurants: Things I might use/care about once in a blue moon.

Tier 3: Weather, Transportation System, Education System, Crime (Things I should care about in theory, but don't for my own personal being. Crime I like to be in that nice in between zone where I'm not in a warzone, but don't have to worry if city hall is covering stuff up to protect property values. Similarly, a good school system should be teaching life skills, and not just be a college prep factory/standardized test engines)

Tier 4: Near other States, Population Size: These exist

Tier 5: Clubs/Nightlife, Lots of Social Events, Sports, Politics (People might like these, but they're active detriments to me. Social events are in the detriment only if they inconvenience daily routing, and is the most forgivable.)

Old 04-12-2023, 01:04 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Tier S: Food, as in grocery stores and farmers' markets (Restaurants, while nice, aren't that important). The primary thing I look for when moving is a place where I can walk to the grocery store. It takes precedence over everything else.

Tier 1: Mountains/Hiking, Culture/Art scene, Driving Experience (bad traffic in cities I'm not familiar with highly limits where I'm willing to move in that city. Due to familiarity, Birmingham, Knoxville and Atlanta are exempt, though Atlanta would be I'm never entering/leaving the perimeter depending which side I move to). Variety of Industry (more for people to meet; I don't like heavy white collar/academic cities as people tend to be of the same creepy mindset in those places even in the skinsuits are diverse)

Tier 2: Health Care Access, Taxes, Near a Major City, Near an Airport, Beaches, Restaurants: Things I might use/care about once in a blue moon.

Tier 3: Weather, Transportation System, Education System, Crime (Things I should care about in theory, but don't for my own personal being. Crime I like to be in that nice in between zone where I'm not in a warzone, but don't have to worry if city hall is covering stuff up to protect property values. Similarly, a good school system should be teaching life skills, and not just be a college prep factory/standardized test engines)

Tier 4: Near other States, Population Size: These exist

Tier 5: Clubs/Nightlife, Lots of Social Events, Sports, Politics (People might like these, but they're active detriments to me. Social events are in the detriment only if they inconvenience daily routing, and is the most forgivable.)
I know what you mean by putting "Politics" here, I just chuckled at this. I was interpreting "Politics" on this thread as meaning "the locals and/or the laws agree with my beliefs", so under that definition, putting it in Tier 5 implies "my own political tribe repulses me".

As for Variety of Industry: isn't pretty much every "white-collar" city actually socioeconomically diverse? Like even here in SF, one can easily escape the tech bubble by hanging out in dive bars or immigrant-heavy areas. Maybe the suburbs of Silicon Valley proper (Palo Alto, Mountain View etc.) are what you're describing though.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:58 PM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I know what you mean by putting "Politics" here, I just chuckled at this. I was interpreting "Politics" on this thread as meaning "the locals and/or the laws agree with my beliefs", so under that definition, putting it in Tier 5 implies "my own political tribe repulses me".

As for Variety of Industry: isn't pretty much every "white-collar" city actually socioeconomically diverse? Like even here in SF, one can easily escape the tech bubble by hanging out in dive bars or immigrant-heavy areas. Maybe the suburbs of Silicon Valley proper (Palo Alto, Mountain View etc.) are what you're describing though.
It's more about how easily the white-collar can enclave themselves.

Actually, "my own political tribe repulses me" would if it were the overwhelming majority. It's same if it's a tribe that's my complete opposite. Places where there's mass agreement on political things tend to be pretty bad to me. Though, I admit, it's pretty hard to be "my tribe." My views tend to not like either side and want more innovation instead of going with relying on the "tried and true" both sides tend to entrench themselves into.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:43 PM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
Mid 20's guy, single.

A Tier = Weather, Taxes, Health Care Access, Near a Major City, Crime, Politics
B Tier = Restaurants, Beaches (would be nice but I can settle for TX lakes), Population Size, Sports
C Tier = Near an Airport, Mountains/Hiking, Near other States, Driving Experience, Clubs/Nightlife (past my hay day lol), Lots of Social Events, Culture/Art scene
D Tier = Transportation System, Education System, Variety of Industry (work for myself)

Old 04-12-2023, 09:27 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
A Tier: Low crime/great QOL, meaning the trash gets picked up, roads are paved, sidewalks get fixed, minimal homeless/addicts /ghettoism, people who do crime actually get punished, etc. Good blue or pink collar job market with good wages. I have a BA degree and plan on earning high quality certifications in manufacturing by the end of 2023 so I better be paid like it.

B Tier: A public transit system that runs 7 days a week, bus or train it doesn't matter. An abundance of dental/medical facilities that range from basic care to advanced. I also can't struggle to find rent that's at MAX $1500 for a studio with at least heat/hot water/trash included. If I have to struggle to find that amount of rent with just the basic of utilities included, then you aren't worth my time.

C Tier: Low income tax. Low amount of severe weather in the spring/summer months. Icy winters are irritating and dangerous. I can deal with some cold and even a few inches of snow here and there but not freezing rain. Rather not be wearing cleats in late March. Would like to deal with private landlords dealing with small multifamily units, or if not a place that has a good amount of mid to high-rise apts. An Amtrak station or a small airport would be nice, even a Greyhound station. Uber/Lyft friendly. Own washer/dryer in my apt.

D Tier: Pro sports, bars, nightlife.

I'm single w/o kids approaching 40.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:41 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Cost of living and salaries trump everything. If I can't make a decent living I'm not even going to consider it.

Next is weather. Mild winters and frequent severe weather, especially hurricanes are a no go.

Politics and religion are third. Namely, do people keep their damn mouths shut about that, mind their own business, and will they not discriminate based on that.

Lastly, are the people at least reasonably friendly and civil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.