Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 07:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times

Advertisements

Percentage share of their CSA populations:

Los Angeles MSA + Riverside MSA= 96%- 17,650,458
Washington MSA + Baltimore MSA= 92%- 9,212,327
Twin Cities-Minneapolis MSA= 90%- 3,690,512
Seattle-Tacoma MSA + Olympia MSA= 86%- 4,309,530
Boston MSA + Providence MSA= 78%- 6,575,706
SF/Oakland MSA+ San Jose MSA= 69%- 6,575,449

I do agree that Orlando makes one of the worst cases at 61%.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-08-2023 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Also DC-Baltimore over Chicago sticks out to me. Chicago feels and operates as a much bigger city even compared to DC, much less Baltimore.
One is a multi-nodal metropolis, the other isn't. I don't think they'll ever compare. As CSA's don't measure "cities" or even single metros.

In fact most CSA's measure 4, 5, 6 MSA's to make up their CSA population.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Further proves that CSA really only works for the Bay Area, LA, and maybe Boston. Orlando being larger than the Twin Cities and having 1.2 million more people than Tampa-St. Pete is hysterical.
Until the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) gets reunited under a single MSA, the CSA is the only way to fully describe the metro.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:47 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
One is a multi-nodal metropolis, the other isn't. I don't think they'll ever compare. As CSA's don't measure "cities" or even single metros.

I get it, but having driven from DC to Baltimore before it strikes me as two completely separate metros in relatively close proximity. I see very little shared infrastructure between the two. (BWI being the biggest thing probably). If you are going to make that a singular region I'd argue that you could combine the entire northeast seaboard almost.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I get it, but having driven from DC to Baltimore before it strikes me as two completely separate metros in relatively close proximity. I see very little shared infrastructure between the two. (BWI being the biggest thing probably). If you are going to make that a singular region I'd argue that you could combine the entire northeast seaboard almost.
The two are separate metros, but not sure what you mean by no shared infrastructure, when there's MARC regional rail, multiple highways connecting them, and suburbs in the grey area in between that could go either direction. The two find most of their distinction inside their own beltways 495/695.

The overall region's had shared amenities for decades, but those can be spread out away from either city proper. What separates this area from others is most metros don't retain their distinctions in their cores like DC-Baltimore does. But there aren't more than a couple other combo's nationwide of cities that are more connected.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:08 PM

542 posts, read 557,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

CSAs are inconsistent. Some western ones like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Boise, Albuquerque, etc are crazy in physical size (Granted, somewhat hard to avoid with their county sizes). Others, like Raleigh/Durham or Greensboro/Winston-Salem are more akin to what you'd expect the the metros to be.

The most unfortunate one, to me, would be Mobile's. Daphne is kinda similar to Riverside/San Jose in that it's similar to suburbs to Mobile. The killer is that Mobile-Pensacola would more fit what would feel like a CSA. They share a bit of bigger area services like NWS weather forecast offices and media markets. Neither's CSA is big enough to attract some popular retailers, but combined they probably could as a 1mill+ area. But since they aren't obviously connected via statistical areas, it's harder to get some popular stores to open up there.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:20 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Until the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) gets reunited under a single MSA, the CSA is the only way to fully describe the metro.
More of the Durham workforce live in Wake County than Durham. The same goes for the Durham Bulls and DPAC theatre season ticket holders, with most living in Wake. Yet because the 90,000 daily commuters between the two counties goes in both directions, it falls below the MSA threshold. So for now, the CSA is definitely the best way to capture the Triangle.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
CSAs are inconsistent. Some western ones like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Boise, Albuquerque, etc are crazy in physical size (Granted, somewhat hard to avoid with their county sizes). Others, like Raleigh/Durham or Greensboro/Winston-Salem are more akin to what you'd expect the the metros to be.

The most unfortunate one, to me, would be Mobile's. Daphne is kinda similar to Riverside/San Jose in that it's similar to suburbs to Mobile. The killer is that Mobile-Pensacola would more fit what would feel like a CSA. They share a bit of bigger area services like NWS weather forecast offices and media markets. Neither's CSA is big enough to attract some popular retailers, but combined they probably could as a 1mill+ area. But since they aren't obviously connected via statistical areas, it's harder to get some popular stores to open up there.
It does vary in different parts of the country yes, but the same applies to MSA's. The MSA's in the sunbelt are pretty bloated too. I've seen inconsistencies with both, and UA may tell the better story.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:37 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Here's a map I created illustrating net domestic migration by U.S. county from 2020-2022. Counties with a net gain are shaded in GREEN. Counties with a net loss are shaded in RED.

NOTE: This map illustrates net domestic migration only. It does not illustrate absolute population growth, natural population growth, or foreign immigration.
Thanks for doing the work to compile this!

My takeaways:

- You can really see that the Bakken oil boom is dead and gone; most of western ND is shedding people

- East vs. west Texas is so stark. I would've guessed a lot of rural east TX would be losing and more of west TX would be gaining. New Mexico as a whole I'd also think would be shrinking more

- California is moving from being only the slowest-growing/fastest-shrinking state in the West, to one of the fastest-shrinking in the country. Wow

- Surprised how a lot of rural PA (and central-eastern OH) is growing. Appalachia is doing better than California nowadays

- Maine is really taking off (relatively) as a vacation home/outdoor enthusiast destination in the NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
SE WA is closer to what a number of fed up west side NWsters say they want in many ways (affordability, les homeless, less radicaks, less rain...) but apparently not the most important ways to actually get higher intra state migration (salaries, greenery, hip urban amenities).
Yeah it's a bit weird. I wouldn't think SE WA would be booming but I'm surprised it's doing worse than say eastern Oregon. That probably is the reason, the scenery is kind of blah and brown, it's mostly agricultural, and it doesn't have access to any really stellar mountain ranges or national parks. Even one of the Tri-Cities counties (Franklin) is shrinking, which is nuts to me.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Also DC-Baltimore over Chicago sticks out to me. Chicago feels and operates as a much bigger city even compared to DC, much less Baltimore.
DC-Baltimore are two distinct central cities whose burbs occupy overlapping space and hence the region feels completely different on the ground relative to Chicago’s is a singular core.

For context on “real world” population…

Chicago’s UA is 2,338 sq/mi - 8.67 million people

DC + Baltimore UA is 1,948 sq/mi - 7.37 million people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.