Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 7,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
OP says decent views of mountains are required, which generally doesn't exist in Craig. Mountain views, acreage (or, at least larger lots), 2000-2500 sq ft home, 1 hr to larger city, low to mid 80s summer, all for $600k. This needle isn't gonna be threaded, not in the mountain west. They're going to have to prioritize and choose a couple of must haves and compromise on the rest.

If it were me, I would prioritize for a lower COL town in a scenic setting that generally has good mountain views that provides easy access to the outdoor activities that I enjoy (like Baker City or La Grande OR), and then live in town in in a smaller house and on a smaller lot with a garage and/or shed for the snowmobile and other toys. A smaller home is less expensive to maintain and heat/cool. A smaller yard is a lot less work. Living in town usually means the city plows the streets. It also means much lower fire risk (a real and growing danger in the west), which also means lower insurance premiums. Less commute. Closer to groceries and dinning, and walkabilty to drinking. This also has the potential for being near a city park, which is like having a giant yard that you don't have to take care of. Something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...86338506_zpid/ Because you can spend a lot more time in the outdoors doing what you enjoy if you aren't financially stretched and working all the time to pay for 2 acres with mountain views. But that's just me.
I can’t disagree with a lot of what you say. We know concessions will need to be made, just want to see what all our options are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 02:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 791,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbear00 View Post
I can’t disagree with a lot of what you say. We know concessions will need to be made, just want to see what all our options are
Makes sense. There's nothing wrong with shooting for the moon as long as you're flexible.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:08 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Near Lake Tahoe on the Nevada side outside Reno. Here’s a couple under $600K on at least 1 acre with mountain views.

https://redf.in/y09cDf

https://redf.in/t2iat5

If you need more amenities than Reno has to offer you’re 2.5 hrs to Sacramento and 4 hrs to San Francisco

Old 05-03-2023, 03:43 PM

1,070 posts, read 791,131 times
Reno/Carson City/Gardnerville check a lot of the boxes, but OP would have to be okay with hotter summers and a lot less snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.