Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 05:53 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Paying online later or by mail is just absurd.
That's one of the things that prompted my question,I recently received a shockingly huge toll bill in the mail. For some reason I didn't seem to be receiving them in a timely manner and they multiplied,I was also shocked to hear of the steady increases in the rates. What I thought was one price was way higher. Being that they're moving towards a cashless system,I wasn't able to pay in cash out of my commute budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
NC does this. We have an annual vehicle property tax.
I had that when I lived in VA,they'll tax any piece of junk people may have as property...

Old 04-26-2023, 06:43 PM

221 posts, read 114,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As a car owner, I think it makes sense to tax car owners extra.
The toll is an easier tax to put on the public because its a usage tax like the tax on cigarettes.

The tolls help pay for the high costs of infrastructure, the scale of which don't exist in most places, like the tolls around the Baltimore and NYC tunnels. Now those are big tunnels and even $$$$ tolls!

I don't really mind them nor pay them any mind; but I grew up with them. A toll to come to Philly but not to leave it. A toll on the Turnpikes. A toll to go to Delaware. A toll to go to Atlantic City. A toll to cross Baltimore. A toll to enter Manhattan....

Old 04-27-2023, 07:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Most toll roads were never part of the state road system. They were alternatives, created with private funding. Some were paid off and turned over to the state, as in Kentucky, and lots of bridges, too.

Governor Huey Long promised that no-one would ever pay to cross a river in Louisiana, and no-one did, until Long was assassinated. After nearly acentury, I think the state has a dozen free ferries, and just one toll bridge..

Old 04-27-2023, 08:05 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times
It's even better when the tolls aren't actually used to maintain or build roads, but to finance the money pit that is mass transit as is the case here in the D.C. area.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:27 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Greed and corruption would be my first guess...
Nah. Weather, marine air, daily hours of traffic volume, and age of structures are bigger factors.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Nah. Weather, marine air, daily hours of traffic volume are bigger factors.
And the sky being blue too right?...

Old 04-27-2023, 09:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
My sky is big, blue and bright, and I haven't paid tolls for 20 years, and never plan to again! I'm born in NYC, raised in New Jersey, and from the age of reason, I always questioned the notion of tolls, particularly when I began to travel more, and realize, largely, once you leave the northeast, and especially west of the Mississippi River, tolls are almost non-existent. Mobility and freedom need not have an extra price affixed to it. I pay a lot in federal and state gas taxes. The roads in my area are maintained excellently.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:31 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My sky is big, blue and bright, and I haven't paid tolls for 20 years, and never plan to again! I'm born in NYC, raised in New Jersey, and from the age of reason, I always questioned the notion of tolls, particularly when I began to travel more, and realize, largely, once you leave the northeast, and especially west of the Mississippi River, tolls are almost non-existent. Mobility and freedom need not have an extra price affixed to it. I pay a lot in federal and state gas taxes. The roads in my area are maintained excellently.
Incidentally; the highest tolls I've ever had to pay were in TX; to get into DFW airport.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
You're preaching to the choir for those of us in Pennsylvania who already have a high gas tax and high tolls whilst simultaneously having sub-par roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.