Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 03:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Clubs in Nightlife…….no dancing, just smart phones everywhere, much more superficial than previous generations and to top that off you gotta pay more to enjoy it since it’s very superficial.

I do wonder if the decrease in appeal in nightlife clubbing has any correlation to people becoming more interested in restaurants, traveling and just urban exploration in general.

For example when I was younger people being “foodies” were not as big as it was today. Maybe it’s a social media thing?

I’m 32 btw.
People still dance at clubs. I'm 32 this year and people were staring at phones when I was sneaking into bars and clubs. Clubs have always been superficial, man. It's the nature of clubbing.

That's just because more variety in cuisines are available now. Not quite the same as when we were in high school, but neither were many things.

This reeks of nostalgia more than anything. Ask older generations and they'll repeat the same thing. Ask teenagers this same question in 10-15 years and they'll say the same thing. Just because we experienced something at an impressionable and formative age doesn't mean it's better than what comes after. Have some perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Being a foodie isn’t a thing anymore cause you can go ger Vindaloo, Sushi, Burritos, or Mofongo or whatever pretty easily.

What foodies were seeking out in 1992 is something you can find in a random suburban strip mall today. In the last 10 years Sushi has become a staple of white suburbanites diet. Similarly you can get a breakfast burrito at like Dunkin Donuts.
As someone who previously lived in the Southwest, that would be setting the bar extremely low on breakfast burritos. If you haven't had breakfast in the Southwest, then you could be forgiven for not understanding but my own green chile loving bias wouldn't consider Dunkin's breakfast food edible by any stretch, let alone breakfast burritos. Agreed on most other points, suburbs and even small VT towns have sushi, pho, and French bakeries. But let's at least raise the standards on burritos. Please and thank you.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-29-2023 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-29-2023, 07:37 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
As someone who previously lived in the Southwest, that would be setting the bar extremely low on breakfast burritos. If you haven't had breakfast in the Southwest, then you could be forgiven for not understanding but my own green chile loving bias wouldn't consider Dunkin's breakfast food edible by any stretch, let alone breakfast burritos. Agreed on most other points, suburbs and even small VT towns have sushi, pho, and French bakeries. But let's at least raise the standards on burritos. Please and thank you.
I’d argue the quality Of their breakfast burrito is pretty in line with the quality of their bagels. (Eg they’re calories I guess).

But the general idea is Foodies don’t exist because very little is special anymore because a suburban mom from Butler County Ohio has a breakfast burrito for breakfast and Sushi for lunch these days. So it’s just not cool anymore

Old 04-29-2023, 08:06 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’d argue the quality Of their breakfast burrito is pretty in line with the quality of their bagels. (Eg they’re calories I guess).

But the general idea is Foodies don’t exist because very little is special anymore because a suburban mom from Butler County Ohio has a breakfast burrito for breakfast and Sushi for lunch these days. So it’s just not cool anymore
Suit yourself. The quality of their bagels and coffee are debtable. But Dunkin microwaves their eggs and you're not getting hot peppers with their burritos. One doesn't have to be foodie to not settle for medicrety. If you think special doesn't exist anywhere then I'd argue you need to get more. Burritos in New Mexico would be a good start (yeah I know that's just me). But seek and you shall find.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-29-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-29-2023, 11:07 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Food Trucks

I have never understood the concept outside of the few instances where the food was so unique and so well prepared. To stand in line and wait to pay like $40 for two and eat either standing up or on some plastic benches just isn't appealing to me oddly enough.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:11 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Museums.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Food Trucks

I have never understood the concept outside of the few instances where the food was so unique and so well prepared. To stand in line and wait to pay like $40 for two and eat either standing up or on some plastic benches just isn't appealing to me oddly enough.
The concept of food trucks isn't to provide the ambiance of restaurants. The focus is the food.

They give opportunities to those who want to enter the market but can't afford the expenses associated with a restaurant.

You are thinking of it based on the ambiance but food trucks are 100% about the food and nothing else.

There are tons of ones that are plain Jane, but there are real gems that provide creations that are new and not often seen in brick and morter restaurants. The fusions are particularly sought after.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:22 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The concept of food trucks isn't to provide the ambiance of restaurants. The focus is the food.

They give opportunities to those who want to enter the market but can't afford the expenses associated with a restaurant.

You are thinking of it based on the ambiance but food trucks are 100% about the food and nothing else.

There are tons of ones that are plain Jane, but there are real gems that provide creations that are new and not often seen in brick and morter restaurants. The fusions are particularly sought after.
Come to think of it, I agree, it seems like when I've had food from a fairly niche cuisine (e.g. Central Asian, Cuban), it's disproportionately been from food trucks.

I do also think about it in terms of the atmosphere, FWIW. It's cool to go to a food truck park with a friend or two and each get a different cuisine and try some of each other's.

Then there are the standard food trucks serving vanilla Mexican or Indian -- but with those, the business niche is often that you can go there on your lunch break (especially if you're in a blue-collar job with only 30-minute lunches) and have shorter waiting times and no need to deal with waiting for the check after eating.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,001,020 times
Ive been at job sites with terrible cafeterias and no cafeteria and food trucks are godsends. People love them when they pull up.

Hard disagree from me.

Its also nice to pull up to a place with 10 or so trucks to sample from new restaurants/potential restaurants. It works out like a dining hall or food court in a way. Not all cities have fancy food halls, food trucks fill that niche in those cities.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:47 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

They're also predatory to an extent and have/continue to damage revenue of small independent brick and mortar establishments with equally excellent food, minus the capital needed to purchase a food truck. My point being due to the fad/trend the food truck is seen by some to be preferential and edgier, which is not the case in many instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.