Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 06:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,020,408 times

Advertisements

People always get upset by these conversations, but it’s pretty clear that this is just OP’s observational reflection. Nothing to get worked up about, right or wrong…All I know is that I’m not going to start ordering crab cakes in Asheville or begin looking for water ice in Wilmington (North Carolina, that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 07:20 PM

12,851 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
All this time I thought the first time I went to Virginia (from Washington DC went to Arlington Cemetery, Mount Vernon -the rural estate of George Washington, was interesting to learn I was walking on the unmarked graves of slaves as they were buried throughout the property according to the guide, not an expected information in response to me asking where were the slaves buried-, and to the Tyson Square Mall), I was in the South as soon I crossed the river.

Then again, the only places I have been in Florida is Central Florida and South Florida. I swore I was not just in the south, but the southern part of the South. One day I was made aware that the South ends further north. Bummer.

So there you go, the places I've spent the most time in the South are its most northern and southern parts of the South that isn't the "real" South. No wonder I haven't met much the southern accent in southern people. lol
I heard even New York had slaves!

Old 06-13-2023, 07:42 PM

10,112 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I heard even New York had slaves!
Yes, a few. The thing is that you go to estates from colonial times in northern states and maybe it had, but maybe it didn't. In the South, every estate had slaves and not just two or three. Given how things were in the past, that's not truly surprising or creates any type of emotions. It is what it is. However, what doesn't exist in all southern estates from colonial times is having the slaves buriedall over the place. Most places have a separate cemetery where the slaves were buried and while that cemetery usually isn't as nice as where the owners and theif families were buried (usually on another part of the same estate ), at least having people of all types buried in very marked cemeteries implies a certain level of human dignity even if it wasn't as nice as the main one.

Needless to say, the day I first went to Mount Vernon upon learning that (well into the tour mind you, had it been at the beginning I would had head for the exit right then), I promised never to return. Don't want to step on people's unmarked graves again. Never developed any type of hate or outright dislike of George Washington because probably that wasn't done on purpose, but I never saw GW the same again.

Plus, there was a similar situation that happened on that trip too but in Washington DC. We were in the Lincoln Memorial, which is quite impressive due to its size, and at one point I was standing at the edge of the staircase looking towards the mall (not the shopping type, the long green space that connects the Lincoln Memorial with the White House, the Capitol, etc is called the mall.) At that moment I realized I was standing very near where Martin Luther King Jr gave his "I have a dream" speech. There was nothing, not even a small plaque commemorating that event. I must had made a face of disappointment or maybe my body language hinted to that, because someone came up to me to ask what was wrong and I said what I said here. She was trying to be nice by saying "if you go to Atlanta you will see things about him." Maybe, but Washington DC is the capital and that event took place there to boot. Never again would I return to Washington DC. This is taking into account I was impressed and liked the city, but no.

Nowadays there is a monument to Martin Luther King Jr right in the mall (not built by the government, mind you; that's one thing I let it pass, but it's noted!) While I'm not dying to return to Washington DC, contrary to before where if someone invited me to visit the city with them I would had immediately declined, now I would agree to go. But me going back to Washington DC out of my own decision, no. That monument or even a small plaque should had been there when I went for the first time. Had it bern there it would had been one of many visits to the capital of the USA, but reality turnout to be something else. I'm not even connected to slavery in the United States as none of my ancestors were masters, slaves or just non-slave owning people living in the USA of the time and/or its colonial times. But to not have something commemorating that event was wrong and I don't stand for that.

Other than those two things, I enjoyed my trip to DC and Virginia, but I have never gone back. And yes, it was because of those two things.

Anyway, this is beyond the topic of this thread.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Mid-Atlantic is the greater Bos-Wash corridor. Most of Virginia is still in the South. There's no way I'd consider Richmond to be Mid-Atlantic. The entire NoVA region is though.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:52 PM

12,851 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Mid-Atlantic is the greater Bos-Wash corridor. Most of Virginia is still in the South. There's no way I'd consider Richmond to be Mid-Atlantic. The entire NoVA region is though.
This where I’m at

Old 06-13-2023, 08:12 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Mid-Atlantic is not the Bos-Wash corridor. It's just not. Mid-Atlantic is Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Some say that it includes Pennsylvania and even New Jersey, but I don't see it. And some say that it includes North Carolina, but I don't see that either. North Carolina is a Southern state, certainly "moderated" by Northern influences, and certainly not Deep South, but it's still a Southern state.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:55 PM

467 posts, read 428,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
When it comes to North Carolina, I suspect that Mid-Atlantic is going to be in an area 10 or more miles away from an interstate highway, whereas rural areas will retain their southern authenticity. I don't think there's anything southern eating at a Chipotle in Cary.
This is again the fallacy of assuming that anything not explicitly "Southern" is somehow Mid-Atlantic, or Northern. If there's nothing Southern about eating at a Chipotle in Cary, how exactly does that make it Mid-Atlantic, much less Northern?

Do we need to start claiming there's nothing Northern about eating Indian food in Harlem now? Or that it's somehow Mid-Atlantic?

I don't know where y'all are getting this kind of logic from, maybe a mental gymnasium

Old 06-13-2023, 09:07 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux96 View Post
This is the realistic line between where Southern culture becomes the full dominant (as in there is little to no other cultures even noticeable).
Lol. Someone has never been anywhere in NC.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Mid-Atlantic is not the Bos-Wash corridor. It's just not. Mid-Atlantic is Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Some say that it includes Pennsylvania and even New Jersey, but I don't see it. And some say that it includes North Carolina, but I don't see that either. North Carolina is a Southern state, certainly "moderated" by Northern influences, and certainly not Deep South, but it's still a Southern state.
Yeah, Bos-Wash is too inclusive of an area. I personally associate the Mid-Atlantic with Baltimore, Delaware, Annapolis, Atlantic City, etc. Basically anywhere along the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Hampton Roads is kind of like a transition area between the Mid-Atlantic and the South, but is obviously influenced on a national scale due to the Navy. But again, that in and of itself doesn't make it intrinsically "Mid-Atlantic."

Even D.C. and NoVa is really an outlier/too unique to be labeled or described as predominantly "Mid-Atlantic" imo, and is more a direct mash-up of Southern and Northern and plenty of other influences. D.C. just doesn't have the same history and influence of the maritime culture that describes the other places I mentioned.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Lol. Someone has never been anywhere in NC.
Dude's trying to claim that almost the entirety of NC, from Tarboro to Asheboro to Goldsboro to everywhere in between (and more), is no longer predominantly Southern. Just trolling at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.