Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 07:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
IMO "Middle America" isn't so much about metro size, it's about working-class to middle-class, moderate to conservative, suburban and rural America. The America that gets overlooked by the news, pop culture, and "coastal elites".

There are places in the LA area (much of the Inland Empire) that I think would count. I assume parts of the NYC area as well (inland NJ?), though I don't know it very well.

I dislike the team “coastal elite”, because I lived more than half of my life in the bi-coastal U.S.A, and god knows not everyone lives in the coastal area is “elite”.

To me Middle America signifies more culturally than geographically.

When you read film/book/Political/TV reviews and the term Middle America is referred, it’s generally meant suburban Americans who cater to generally mainstream taste (some may say middlebrow or lowbrow but that’s debatable and could be interpreted as “defensive”.) and mass-production in their choices of housing, vehicles, music, streaming preference (think of those awful yet wildly popular Real Housewives shows.), book choices (a lot of the “best selling” disposable suburban book clubs materials which later might become “adapted” to the streaming or big screen if some of the so-called “America’s Sweetheart” actresses decide to green light them.) and more a follower than “pushing the envelop”, traditional, “family value”, harmless, non-offensive, safe for the household viewing……etc.

Oprah is the Middle America’s darling. People like Oprah, Dr.Phil, Chip & Joanna Gaines, Good Morning America is more Middle America than say, Rachel Maddow, Diane Sawyer, New Yorker magazine, Steven Colbert. Middle America loves wholesomeness, strong work ethics, “America the beautiful”, homespun earthiness, “atta boy!” can-do attitude, suburban with SUV and 2-3 kids, strip malls, chain stores, hometown pride and 4th of July BBQ.-this can cross everywhere in the U.S, including the coastal areas, especially in the suburbs (Inland Empire, San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, the entire O.C, Long Island in NYS, most of NJ…..etc.)

I might get flamed by this post but I cast no judgement. It’s just an observation based on living more than 25 yrs in the so-called coastal cities, not being born and raised here but did grow up fairly well-versed in American culture (especially the films and rock n roll history which give me an abundant cultural references.) but enough of an outsider to give an objective assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 07:59 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
To me, Middle America is a way to frame the common cultural and geographic similarities that exist in the central part of the country from Canada to Mexico.

In some ways, North Dakota and Texas have a lot in common even though one is the Midwest, and the other is South/Southwest.

Middle America is broader than Midwest, but envelopes the overlapping commonalities between multiple regions inhabiting the center of the country on an east to west spectrum.

I don't think anywhere in Florida, Oregon, or New York qualifies as Middle America.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:10 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
No on geographic. There's Ohio and then there's Arizona. Big difference. To me, it's cultural. It's the west coast, northeast, Austin, Denver, Raleigh, Chicago and maybe Minneapolis? Every where else shares similar cultural values imo.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
IMO "Middle America" isn't so much about metro size, it's about working-class to middle-class, moderate to conservative, suburban and rural America. The America that gets overlooked by the news, pop culture, and "coastal elites".

There are places in the LA area (much of the Inland Empire) that I think would count. I assume parts of the NYC area as well (inland NJ?), though I don't know it very well. Meanwhile I'd be hesitant to call places like Highland Park, TX or Clayton, MO "Middle American", except to refer to them as elite enclaves in Middle American surroundings.
Repped. I like this post and it opens up some questions for sure. I guess my question is how different do you think Clayton/Highland Park is compared to Malibu? As far as politics and cultural norms and values.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:05 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I dislike the team “coastal elite”, because I lived more than half of my life in the bi-coastal U.S.A, and god knows not everyone lives in the coastal area is “elite”.

To me Middle America signifies more culturally than geographically.

When you read film/book/Political/TV reviews and the term Middle America is referred, it’s generally meant suburban Americans who cater to generally mainstream taste (some may say middlebrow or lowbrow but that’s debatable and could be interpreted as “defensive”.) and mass-production in their choices of housing, vehicles, music, streaming preference (think of those awful yet wildly popular Real Housewives shows.), book choices (a lot of the “best selling” disposable suburban book clubs materials which later might become “adapted” to the streaming or big screen if some of the so-called “America’s Sweetheart” actresses decide to green light them.) and more a follower than “pushing the envelop”, traditional, “family value”, harmless, non-offensive, safe for the household viewing……etc.

Oprah is the Middle America’s darling. People like Oprah, Dr.Phil, Chip & Joanna Gaines, Good Morning America is more Middle America than say, Rachel Maddow, Diane Sawyer, New Yorker magazine, Steven Colbert. Middle America loves wholesomeness, strong work ethics, “America the beautiful”, homespun earthiness, “atta boy!” can-do attitude, suburban with SUV and 2-3 kids, strip malls, chain stores, hometown pride and 4th of July BBQ.-this can cross everywhere in the U.S, including the coastal areas, especially in the suburbs (Inland Empire, San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, the entire O.C, Long Island in NYS, most of NJ…..etc.)

I might get flamed by this post but I cast no judgement. It’s just an observation based on living more than 25 yrs in the so-called coastal cities, not being born and raised here but did grow up fairly well-versed in American culture (especially the films and rock n roll history which give me an abundant cultural references.) but enough of an outsider to give an objective assessment.
I would generally agree with this, especially from a marketing perspective. From a political perspective though, I'll take it further. It's Republicans being able to target their core voting base. "Middle America" is describing white heterosexuals in small towns and generic suburbia. Said white people are most likely some form of Protestant denomination as well.

"Costal elites" are the liberals, with their ethnic, racial, religious, and sexual orientation diversity judging the "real Americans." Hence all the focus on "Make America Great Again." From a political standpoint, they want when the country was more like "Middle America." It's easier to say that than, "more white," even though that's what they mean.

From this point of view, none of the major cities in the interior country are "Middle America" to me, even if some of their suburbs qualify. I'm talking both in terms the my political idea and the marketing idea that you touched on.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:35 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Repped. I like this post and it opens up some questions for sure. I guess my question is how different do you think Clayton/Highland Park is compared to Malibu? As far as politics and cultural norms and values.
Clayton is the county seat of St. Louis County. It's home to St. Louis County's courts, government offices, and agencies. From a business standpoint, it's St. Louis' second downtown and home to Centene, which I believe is #25 on the Fortune 500. It also isn't St. Louis' toniest suburb. I'd give that honor to Ladue or Town & Country.

In terms of politics, it's not as liberal as Malibu, but I'm also not calling it conservative. St. Louis County, as a whole, goes Democratic with over 60% of the vote typically.

As far as cultural norms and values, I've been to both Clayton and Malibu, but I'm wondering if you could clarify what you would like to know.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I also think it's somewhere that has an average climate, somewhere that has historically been seen as accent-neutral, a bellwether for American politics and trends, and that is equidistant from most parts of the country. Because of this, there's nowhere outside the Lower Midwest that can strictly meet the criteria for 'Middle America'. The absolute purest distillation of the term, however, I would argue is either Hamilton, Ohio or Independence, Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence,_Missouri
If this was the case then the term wouldn't exist. It would just be "midwest."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No on geographic. There's Ohio and then there's Arizona. Big difference. To me, it's cultural. It's the west coast, northeast, Austin, Denver, Raleigh, Chicago and maybe Minneapolis? Every where else shares similar cultural values imo.
I'm baffled by this comment. What cultural values does Denver have that it's peer cities don't?

Old 07-13-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If this was the case then the term wouldn't exist. It would just be "midwest."

I'm baffled by this comment. What cultural values does Denver have that it's peer cities don't?
I meant Denver is more aligned with the coasts than middle America, but actually you may be right. Denver is a part of middle America. It has a ton of migrants from the south and midwest. I stand corrected.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:57 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I’m sorry, Raleigh is getting lumped with the coasts? I’m not even sure Raleigh’s city government is more progressive than Greensboro’s lol.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:23 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
I never even imagined it being an actual place, I don’t think…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.