Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Would You Rank the Southeastern States?
Virginia 30 27.03%
West Virginia 11 9.91%
North Carolina 46 41.44%
South Carolina 14 12.61%
Georgia 36 32.43%
Florida 18 16.22%
Kentucky 9 8.11%
Tennessee 20 18.02%
Alabama 11 9.91%
Mississippi 7 6.31%
Arkansas 8 7.21%
Louisiana 9 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 03:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

I voted for North Carolina because it has the most varied landscape for close to 500 miles, from the Smoky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean. The Smoky Mountains along the North Carolina - Tennessee border has some of the most breathtaking views found in the Lower 48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 11:49 AM

172 posts, read 119,217 times
1. Louisiana
2. Tennessee
3. Virginia
4. Alabama
5. South Carolina
6. Kentucky/West Virginia
7. Georgia
8. Mississippi
9. Florida
10. North Carolina

Just a matter of personal preference. I love Louisiana bayou swamp culture and then East TN to south central VA area -- which is where I live. North Carolina takes a big ding for having too many large cities scattered all across the piedmont and high population density, making congestion terrible. At least Virginia's big cities are on the eastern side of the state making them easy to avoid.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
The Piedmont arc is fairly self-contained though. I can travel 3 hours from Raleigh to OBX and not see anything bigger than Rocky Mount the entire stretch. And the mountains are fairly relaxed outside Buncombe. And NoVa traffic is worse than anything seen in Charlotte even at its worst. But to each their own.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Piedmont arc is fairly self-contained though. I can travel 3 hours from Raleigh to OBX and not see anything bigger than Rocky Mount the entire stretch. And the mountains are fairly relaxed outside Buncombe. And NoVa traffic is worse than anything seen in Charlotte even at its worst. But to each their own.

Eastern North Carolina is good, I like it there -- that is not the area I'm talking about. It's the congested Piedmont and western parts of the state that are a traffic nightmare. Pretty much all of 10 million people live there. If I want a nice easy drive to outdoor spots I'll head to the blue ridge in Virginia or East TN over North Carolina.

NoVa is easy to avoid, just don't head north. The rest of the big Virginia cities are along I-95 or east...also easy to avoid. Then its just beautiful, unrestricted country with a smattering of small, insignificant cities -- just the way I like them.

Last edited by VA Outdoorsman; 07-21-2023 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 01:30 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Eastern North Carolina is good, I like it there -- that is not the area I'm talking about. It's the congested Piedmont and western parts of the state that are a traffic nightmare. Pretty much all of 10 million people live there. If I want a nice easy drive to outdoor spots I'll head to the blue ridge in Virginia or East TN over North Carolina.

NoVa is easy to avoid, just don't head north. The rest of the big Virginia cities are along I-95 or east...also easy to avoid. The rest of Virginia is hardcore country.
Hence why I like Arkansas. NC is beautiful, but the Blue Ridge Appalachians are in the middle of like 30-40 million people's weekend vacation range, it's not exactly a wilderness. Likewise I feel like the area should be protected and preserved better than it is cause it's pretty unique, I hope it doesn't get too chopped up with development.

Arkansas isn't the same WOW, but it's got the same rec and it's still more back to nature.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hence why I like Arkansas. NC is beautiful, but the Blue Ridge Appalachians are in the middle of like 30-40 million people's weekend vacation range, it's not exactly a wilderness. Likewise I feel like the area should be protected and preserved better than it is cause it's pretty unique, I hope it doesn't get too chopped up with development.

Arkansas isn't the same WOW, but it's got the same rec and it's still more back to nature.

The Smokies is a pretty wild, mountainous jungle in it's interior. Hard to get more rugged and wild than that. But I agree with you that Arkansas is pretty and not as congested overall as some of the more eastern states. Arkansas, however is not Southeastern...more like south central.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:16 AM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
1- Tennessee (bias home state)- I love Memphis (it has a lot in common with MS, but has some great mix of cultures)- the MS river, the peabody, there's just something really special about Memphis. Really enjoy East TN scenery with the mountains and Appalachian culture. Chatt is fantastic and Nashville is cool. Nash and Memphis also both have outstanding food.

2- Mississippi- I know, nobody has this as their number 2. Ocean Springs and the beach are nice and way less populated than other parts of the gulf. Really love Oxford as well. Even Jackson has come a long way in the last few years.

3- NC- neat mountains, beaches, great schools; just a neat place overall.

4- Tie for me between SC, AL, and GA. Beaches, unique cities in each one, and some good food, too!

5- FL and VA- I enjoy both of these states. VA has amazing history. It has pretty scenery as well, but I feel that TN and NC have nicer forestry and mountains, while other states have better beaches than it. FL has amazing beaches, but so many people! Weather in FL is tough during the summer, hah. FL kinda reminds me a lot of AZ in parts- both have some interesting local cultures, but they are mostly chain culture USA.

6- LA- lived in NOLA for a long while. It's a unique and interesting place. I'm very fond of the state in general, but there's a lot of issues with LA that I think are pretty glaring (this is true of MS, too, but it seems MS is making more strides to improve itself in education and healthcare, whereas LA seems fine being stagnant). Great food. NOLA and Memphis have my favorite foods of the South, with Atlanta and Nashville not too far behind.

7- KY and AR- I actually rather enjoy both these states, but you can't help but notice deterioration in both. Mammoth caves is cool, NW AR has a lot going for it. Both have neat nature, but neither is really the top of my list. I don't dislike these states by any means, and I think both have a lot to offer. I also have never been to Louisville, so it's totally possible I'm unfairly judging KY.

8- WV- I've never been, so I've got no idea where I'd put it.

As far as tourism is concerned for SE cities, I'm pretty sure Nashville takes the cake? I could be wrong though. Economy wise, FL, GA, VA and NC are the economic powerhouses of the South, with TN not too far behind.
Geography wise, I just assume one of the states along the coast that has mountains and beaches would be most folks' desired location. So VA and NC really.
My favorite cities in the South are Memphis, NOLA, Mobile. My favorites towns are Ocean Springs, Oxford, Collierville, Fairhope, and St. Augustine.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:12 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
1- Tennessee (bias home state)- I love Memphis (it has a lot in common with MS, but has some great mix of cultures)- the MS river, the peabody, there's just something really special about Memphis. Really enjoy East TN scenery with the mountains and Appalachian culture. Chatt is fantastic and Nashville is cool. Nash and Memphis also both have outstanding food.

2- Mississippi- I know, nobody has this as their number 2. Ocean Springs and the beach are nice and way less populated than other parts of the gulf. Really love Oxford as well. Even Jackson has come a long way in the last few years.

3- NC- neat mountains, beaches, great schools; just a neat place overall.

4- Tie for me between SC, AL, and GA. Beaches, unique cities in each one, and some good food, too!

5- FL and VA- I enjoy both of these states. VA has amazing history. It has pretty scenery as well, but I feel that TN and NC have nicer forestry and mountains, while other states have better beaches than it. FL has amazing beaches, but so many people! Weather in FL is tough during the summer, hah. FL kinda reminds me a lot of AZ in parts- both have some interesting local cultures, but they are mostly chain culture USA.

6- LA- lived in NOLA for a long while. It's a unique and interesting place. I'm very fond of the state in general, but there's a lot of issues with LA that I think are pretty glaring (this is true of MS, too, but it seems MS is making more strides to improve itself in education and healthcare, whereas LA seems fine being stagnant). Great food. NOLA and Memphis have my favorite foods of the South, with Atlanta and Nashville not too far behind.

7- KY and AR- I actually rather enjoy both these states, but you can't help but notice deterioration in both. Mammoth caves is cool, NW AR has a lot going for it. Both have neat nature, but neither is really the top of my list. I don't dislike these states by any means, and I think both have a lot to offer. I also have never been to Louisville, so it's totally possible I'm unfairly judging KY.

8- WV- I've never been, so I've got no idea where I'd put it.

As far as tourism is concerned for SE cities, I'm pretty sure Nashville takes the cake? I could be wrong though. Economy wise, FL, GA, VA and NC are the economic powerhouses of the South, with TN not too far behind.
Geography wise, I just assume one of the states along the coast that has mountains and beaches would be most folks' desired location. So VA and NC really.
My favorite cities in the South are Memphis, NOLA, Mobile. My favorites towns are Ocean Springs, Oxford, Collierville, Fairhope, and St. Augustine.
I'm pretty sure it's Miami then New Orleans, then Nashville.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:13 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
I started listing out my rankings but then I realized I think I agree with OP. Maybe I'd swap VA and NC but #3-12 I have the exact same states.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:51 AM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm pretty sure it's Miami then New Orleans, then Nashville.
Could very well be true. I forgot about Miami, hah and I'm sure it beats all of them. NOLA is certainly up there and I know it used to be ahead of Nashville, just wasn't sure if that was true anymore post covid- but I am most likely incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.