Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Would You Rank the Southeastern States?
Virginia 30 27.03%
West Virginia 11 9.91%
North Carolina 46 41.44%
South Carolina 14 12.61%
Georgia 36 32.43%
Florida 18 16.22%
Kentucky 9 8.11%
Tennessee 20 18.02%
Alabama 11 9.91%
Mississippi 7 6.31%
Arkansas 8 7.21%
Louisiana 9 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 11:44 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
None that I've noticed. Have you ever been to Miami?
NYC and California cities are full of immigrants and that hasn’t stopped them from being Northeastern or Western.

Ask yourself why Miami suddenly is the exception to the rule. Do you believe Southern culture is something frozen in time from the 1920s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 01:36 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
NYC and California cities are full of immigrants and that hasn’t stopped them from being Northeastern or Western.

Ask yourself why Miami suddenly is the exception to the rule. Do you believe Southern culture is something frozen in time from the 1920s?
No. I just don't find anything that I would consider to be Southern culture, from any era, present in Miami. The culture of Miami bears no resemblance to the culture of, say, Atlanta or Charlotte. It just doesn't. Being located geographically to the south of those cities has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
No. I just don't find anything that I would consider to be Southern culture, from any era, present in Miami. The culture of Miami bears no resemblance to the culture of, say, Atlanta or Charlotte. It just doesn't. Being located geographically to the south of those cities has nothing to do with it.
The folks in the black communities of South Florida would strongly disagree with this, and they would be correct.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:23 PM

8,481 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:

Just like Texas is Texas and not easily put into any single region, Florida is kinda Florida. The panhandle is pretty Southern, but the rest of the state has a very different flavor. Part pirate era freewheeling, part tropics, part Caribbean. It also retains more of that Spanish flavor than much of the southeast, and any of the south save for Texas if you count Texas as strictly southern. So I don’t particularly think of Florida as being super southern, either. If anything, it being the playground for a lot of Northeasterners it’s begun to grow a bit of a northeastern vibe in some ways with the food choices, the comfort with toll roads, and now high speed rail. Again - I don’t think it’s that southern. I don’t think it’s really anything but itself. Florida is Florida.

And no, this kind of stuff isn’t frozen at all. A lot of folks here argue DC and even Baltimore should be considered in the South when they really resemble the Northeast a lot more now than they might have done in decades or centuries past. That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Has anyone who is answering on this poll actually been to all 12 of these states and spent adequate time in them other than buzzing through them on an interstate highway? I can't claim that. I mean, I've driven through all of them many times, but haven't spent what I all would call adequate time in about half of them. I've certainly spent enough time in Florida, for instance, in almost every region of that state, and couldn't cast a vote on the entire state, because it's so varied from region to region, culturally. However, I will say it is the most monotonous state of the group due to terrain. But even though I've driven through all of these states many times, I've spent time in 10 of the 12. I haven't spent enough time in enough of Virginia and North Carolina to really know much about how varied those states are, though I am familiar with how different the terrain is from area to area.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:55 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyone who is answering on this poll actually been to all 12 of these states and spent adequate time in them other than buzzing through them on an interstate highway?
Fair question. One can have a favorite place without having spent a lot of time there, or necessarily having visited all of the other choices. For me, I've physically been in all 12 of these states, from one end to the other in all of them. I've lived, for multiple years at a time, in Virginia and Florida. I've vacationed multiple times in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. I've visited, for both work and pleasure, West Virginia many times. But the others? Yeah, I've been to them, but my experiences have been limited; largely limited to buzzing through them on the interstates, or maybe a one-off visit. I still feel qualified to have a favorite, though.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Ok. So explain it to me then since I want to hear your reasoning. What keeps Atlanta and Charlotte southern in 2023, in ways that Miami doesn't meet? In a time where America has never been as culturally homogeneous across all the states as it is now? And I don't want to hear it's the presence of Latin culture. Surely we live in an era where all races can be considered part of American culture (Southern, Northeastern, etc.) and not diminished as an immigrant group despite many of them being multi-generational in the US? While I am not accusing you of this, people have a tradition of othering places that's minority dominated and in a conservative southern red state like Florida, this is no exception. So I just want to make sure you aren't falling into the pattern of what discriminatory people have done in the past, othering a city/neighborhood etc. for the presence of a certain minority.

And I am assuming you are making this point utilizing the entire Miami metro and not just City of Miami, including cities like Hialeah, Miami Beach, and Coral Gables. With that being said, I'd like to hear how Homestead isn't Southern. Since, like Miami Beach which includes the infamous South Beach, is also a suburb of Miami. And also south of the City of Miami. Surely since it's in the metro of Miami, Homestead isn't Southern... right? Based on what you are saying that there is nothing present in Miami that resembles Southern culture? Because Homestead is very Southern to me and has existed just as long as Miami has. Because this looks like a lot like this, or this, and Jacksonville/Daytona Beach have never NOT been Southern. Or this, looking like this. This looking similar to this. By the way the second to last link... Polk County... Florida's favorite county due to having the most "Florida Man" like people (I prefer to call them swampbillies). Miami metro still has plenty of them, they just aren't going to be limited to its tourist areas.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Just like Texas is Texas and not easily put into any single region, Florida is kinda Florida. The panhandle is pretty Southern, but the rest of the state has a very different flavor. Part pirate era freewheeling, part tropics, part Caribbean. It also retains more of that Spanish flavor than much of the southeast, and any of the south save for Texas if you count Texas as strictly southern. So I don’t particularly think of Florida as being super southern, either. If anything, it being the playground for a lot of Northeasterners it’s begun to grow a bit of a northeastern vibe in some ways with the food choices, the comfort with toll roads, and now high speed rail. Again - I don’t think it’s that southern. I don’t think it’s really anything but itself. Florida is Florida.

And no, this kind of stuff isn’t frozen at all. A lot of folks here argue DC and even Baltimore should be considered in the South when they really resemble the Northeast a lot more now than they might have done in decades or centuries past. That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

So to you, what stops a place from being Southern is infrastructure advancement? Trains and tolls (something which also exists in Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia) having methods to handle higher volume of traffic means it's less Southern? To me that, verbatim, means you can't have any form of progress and remain Southern as a city. Cities have to adopt these technologies in order to handle higher volumes of people. That sounds, verbatim, like to be Southern means being frozen in time. You cannot grow or have demand, because then, you lose your Southern qualifier of being semi-rural. How come that doesn't apply to the other regions? Is Chicago a Northeastern city now because it has a subway, and no longer Midwestern?

Florida's oldest city, St. Augustine, with tons of Spanish and pirate influence, is near Jacksonville. Here's two pics of St. Augustine: here and here. That last pic you cannot tell me that it does NOT look like the rest of Florida. I can find that second pic in Tallahassee I bet.

Is Louisiana, known for having it's own "unique" flavor, now not Southern? People constantly want to make arguments for Texas and Florida, but not Louisiana, why? Louisiana also had pirates, gambling/partying illegal "hustle" culture, unique accents, unique cuisine, unique language. In fact Louisiana, New Orleans and Baton Rouge included, despite being one of few colonies the French heavily established itself in, is considered the "Deep South", arguably the most Southern classification one can get.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 07-23-2023 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-23-2023, 04:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
None that I've noticed. Have you ever been to Miami?
Yes. And it felt southern. Because it is.
Quote:

THIS. No one questions whether or not Denver is mountain west, despite all the Texas and California transplants. 60% of Colorado isn't even from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The folks in the black communities of South Florida would strongly disagree with this, and they would be correct.
No one here thinks about minorities. This is a website full of WFH 6 six fugure earners.
Quote:
So to you, what stops a place from being Southern is infrastructure advancement? Trains and tolls (something which also exists in Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia) having methods to handle higher volume of traffic means it's less Southern? To me that, verbatim, means you can't have any form of progress and remain Southern as a city. Cities have to adopt these technologies in order to handle higher volumes of people. That sounds, verbatim, like to be Southern means being frozen in time. You cannot grow or have demand, because then, you lose your Southern qualifier of being semi-rural. How come that doesn't apply to the other regions? Is Chicago a Northeastern city now because it has a subway, and no longer Midwestern?

Florida's oldest city, St. Augustine, with tons of Spanish and pirate influence, is near Jacksonville. Here's two pics of St. Augustine: here and here. That last pic you cannot tell me that it does NOT look like the rest of Florida. I can find that second pic in Tallahassee I bet.

Is Louisiana, known for having it's own "unique" flavor, now not Southern? People constantly want to make arguments for Texas and Florida, but not Louisiana, why? Louisiana also had pirates, gambling/partying illegal "hustle" culture, unique accents, unique cuisine, unique language. In fact Louisiana, New Orleans and Baton Rouge included, despite being one of few colonies the French heavily established itself in, is considered the "Deep South", arguably the most Southern classification one can get.
New Orleans has rail and tolls, its now New England. Lafayette has French speakers, which makes it a suburb of Montreal. Oh and New Orleans gained tens of thousands of Hondurans so it's not Central America. So basicall, with the rail and tolls, and the Hispanic population, it's New Boston.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:50 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyone who is answering on this poll actually been to all 12 of these states and spent adequate time in them other than buzzing through them on an interstate highway? I can't claim that. I mean, I've driven through all of them many times, but haven't spent what I all would call adequate time in about half of them. I've certainly spent enough time in Florida, for instance, in almost every region of that state, and couldn't cast a vote on the entire state, because it's so varied from region to region, culturally. However, I will say it is the most monotonous state of the group due to terrain. But even though I've driven through all of these states many times, I've spent time in 10 of the 12. I haven't spent enough time in enough of Virginia and North Carolina to really know much about how varied those states are, though I am familiar with how different the terrain is from area to area.
Here's my experience in terms of time in each of these states--

Virginia--loads of family in the western and southwestern part of the state. Spent years going to see them as a kid and as a young adult. Spent many business trips in the late 90s and early 2000s in the VA metro DC side
North Carolina--know western NC well. Spent time there every year as a kid and later in life--in Boone, Maggie Valley, Asheville, Cherokee, parts of Charlotte. Vacationed to Ocracoke and Topsail Beaches. Been to Raleigh triangle 3 times in the past 10 years
South Carolina--Spent lots of time in Greenville, Charleston and Myrtle Beach areas. Would visit here as a kid often, and vacation to Myrtle Beach. Been to Columbia and Spartanburg several times
Georgia--spent many holidays, summer vacations in Atlanta growing up (relatives here). I lived in the Atlanta area right out of college (98-01). Lived here again in early 2018 for 6 months, in the Athens area
Florida--have visited Miami Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa/St Pete and Orlando many times over the course of teenage, young adult and adulthood
Alabama--have spent time in Huntsville (several business trips), Birmingham to visit in the late 90s and Mobile to visit in the late 90s as well
Mississippi--lived on the Gulf Coast of MS in the early 90s, Biloxi and Gulfport, when I was in the military. Traveled to Jackson once a long time ago. Have been to northern MS area of suburban Memphis a couple times over the years
Louisiana--visited New Orleans once, and have driven through the state back and forth completely (east/west) three times. Never explored much of Shreveport, but I have been to Baton Rouge
Arkansas--probably the least overall familiar "boots on the ground" with this state. I have driven east-west on I-40 probably 6-8 times, and have visited Little Rock once, back in 2010. Never been to NW Arkansas, but do business with many firms in the region
Kentucky--grew up visiting eastern Kentucky and Lexington--my mother is from KY and I have a ton of family still there
Tennessee--born and raised here, in east TN--the tri-cities. Grew up visiting Knoxville, the Great Smokies and Chattanooga. Visited Nashville and the region extensively. Least familar with Memphis, although I've been there twice over the years
West Virginia--my brother in law is from here and I spent my 20s and 30s visiting Charleston and the Valley Head region of Snowshoe.

I know them all pretty well. Least amount of time and experience is in Louisiana and Arkansas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.