Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2023, 09:28 AM

860 posts, read 697,914 times

Advertisements

BC the census' mistakes I basically will have my own definitions for their metro areas in most cases. Sometimes the CSA, mostly the MSA, and sometimes something in between (Boston, SF, New Orleans). I've looked over the urban areas lists more and unfortunately many of them are too split up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 11:03 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
BC the census' mistakes I basically will have my own definitions for their metro areas in most cases. Sometimes the CSA, mostly the MSA, and sometimes something in between (Boston, SF, New Orleans). I've looked over the urban areas lists more and unfortunately many of them are too split up.
TBH I just go with CSA if it's west of the Great Plains and MSA otherwise. With a few areas I know well (Seattle, Portland, Reno etc.) I may have more specific opinions.

Urban areas are pretty much useless to me, with how arbitrarily split up they are.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:22 AM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
But then you are left with less than 4.2M people. You can't have it both ways.
Fulton 1.1 million
Gwinnett 1 million
Dekalb 800,000
Cobb 800,000
Clayton 300,000
Forsyth 260,000

Around 4.26 million in the 1,980 square miles. Which means there are less than 2 million people in the remaining 6,400 square miles. These core counties are the population growth centers. These are the only counties that grow by 50,000 - 150,000 population per decade besides Cherokee.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:18 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Fulton 1.1 million
Gwinnett 1 million
Dekalb 800,000
Cobb 800,000
Clayton 300,000
Forsyth 260,000

Around 4.26 million in the 1,980 square miles. Which means there are less than 2 million people in the remaining 6,400 square miles. These core counties are the population growth centers. These are the only counties that grow by 50,000 - 150,000 population per decade besides Cherokee.
Atlanta Urban area is about 5M...add in places like Winder and Cartersville (and Monroe and Woodmont) you get to 5.2M or so. Gainesville (which is separated for no reason IMHO...but it's also a separate MSA) is 265k, so adding everything together you're at about 5.4M-5.5M, which sounds about right. Atlanta area is definitely larger than 4.26M from above, but not quite 6.2M as the MSA stated.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Atlanta Urban area is about 5M...add in places like Winder and Cartersville (and Monroe and Woodmont) you get to 5.2M or so. Gainesville (which is separated for no reason IMHO...but it's also a separate MSA) is 265k, so adding everything together you're at about 5.4M-5.5M, which sounds about right. Atlanta area is definitely larger than 4.26M from above, but not quite 6.2M as the MSA stated.
ATL's UA land area is comparatively large though. I think it is 2nd only to NY in land area.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:20 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think they should change the names to CSA’s to reflect that they’re general regions. Like I don’t think many people would object to Western Chesapeake or Northern Ohio or South Central New England. Philly already died this being called the “Delaware Valley”. Because it doesn’t really belong to a city there are just cities in it. Boston’s CSA is 7 constituent parts.

Another example is the UK have metropolitan boroughs. But Newcastle is Tyneside because Newcastle is the largest city in Tyneside but isn’t Tyneside. Birmingham is in the West Midlands. Because Birmingham is part of the West Midlands while London is London so it’s called Greater London.

I think that's an interesting idea, but I also think that'd be contentious and since they're just using a formula and settlement and commute patterns change, it might not be really for the census to do. Does the census officially call the Philadelphia CSA Delaware Valley?

Old 07-25-2023, 02:36 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think that's an interesting idea, but I also think that'd be contentious and since they're just using a formula and settlement and commute patterns change, it might not be really for the census to do. Does the census officially call the Philadelphia CSA Delaware Valley?
No but local planning documents usually do.

Oh yeah and I meant the OMB not the Census bureau.

But I think in most cases calling most cities some regional depict it is way more accurate than naming over its largest city. “the Triangle” is a good example, gives the whole region a clear distinction from being Raleigh is a city of 2 million

Old 07-25-2023, 02:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
ATL's UA land area is comparatively large though. I think it is 2nd only to NY in land area.
TBH it's miles and miles of (mostly suburban tract housing) development, though...it's still Metro Atlanta no matter which way you look at it.

Quote:
I think they should change the names to CSA’s to reflect that they’re general regions. Like I don’t think many people would object to Western Chesapeake or Northern Ohio or South Central New England. Philly already died this being called the “Delaware Valley”. Because it doesn’t really belong to a city there are just cities in it. Boston’s CSA is 7 constituent parts.

Another example is the UK have metropolitan boroughs. But Newcastle is Tyneside because Newcastle is the largest city in Tyneside but isn’t Tyneside. Birmingham is in the West Midlands. Because Birmingham is part of the West Midlands while London is London so it’s called Greater London.
Well, for Baltimore/Washington CSA you'll still have the whole "is Baltimore in the DMV" debate .

Western Chesapeake doesn't make too much sense either...where does that put the Hampton Roads region?

Old 07-25-2023, 03:08 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there can be a distinction between metropolitan area and what CSA measures. CSA does take its first name entry from the largest city in the region. I might have missed this somehow, but I don't think Toledo is part of the Cleveland CSA or at least I can't find reference to that. In terms of geography, the expanse puts the Cleveland CSA in northeast Ohio which is an actual term used in the region. The census doesn't generally give official names for regions outside of the principal cities, but it's reasonable to consider the CSA to be the northeast Ohio region.

I don't think there are all that many making the argument that CSA is the same thing as a city.

I think as a larger region Central CT Hartford and New Haven are better connected and closer to each other than Dayton and Cincinnati are, and do operate more closely as a region.
New Haven and Hartford actually are surprisingly and shockingly separate. People in either city are somewhat ignorant of the other despite the relative proximity. They are tied together via Waterbury albeit Waterbury is much more in the New Haven sphere of influence, but more similar perhaps to Hartford.

Hartfords Influence extends mostly North (Suffield, Bloomfield, Enfield, Windsor, Granby) and East (Venron, East Hartford, Glastonbury, Manchester)as well as Northwest up to Avon, Canton, and Simsbury. It doesn't go much west or southwest of New Britain. You don't really feel to tied to Bristol (which was put in the Naugatuck Valley PLanning Region despite being in Hartford county).

It peters out just as you get a town or two into MA and Springfield takes over.

New Havens influence generally is more north/west oriented into places like Waterbury, Naugatuck, Ansonia, Derby and Meriden to the Northeast. Meriden and Middletown is where New Haven and Hartford overlap. But even Middletown feels like its own sort of area kind of distant from Hartford in a way.

Stratford is where Bridgeport begins to take over from New Haven. Places like Woodbury and Southbury feel like part of the Waterbury area. Southington or Cheshire (probably Cheshire) is where Waterbury, Hartford, and New Haven meet.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-25-2023 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-25-2023, 03:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
No but local planning documents usually do.

Oh yeah and I meant the OMB not the Census bureau.

But I think in most cases calling most cities some regional depict it is way more accurate than naming over its largest city. “the Triangle” is a good example, gives the whole region a clear distinction from being Raleigh is a city of 2 million
Raleigh's county is a bit more than half of the entire CSA population (new CSA). The other 9 counties combined make up the rest. In any other CSA, that would be more than enough to make Raleigh the de facto CSA namesake. The population and growth in the Triangle is not equally distributed. It's increasingly centered around Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.