Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 04:03 PM

127 posts, read 71,295 times

Advertisements

While there is one region called the Midwest, I think there really are two types of cities within this region.

One is the post industrial city that has gone through its fair share of ups and downs, usually including industrial decline, a steep decrease of population within city limits, urban decay, and mass suburbanization. Examples of this include Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.

The second type of midwestern city is the white collar post war boom town. These cities were never major centers of industry, so they didn’t experience significant decline, and experienced a lot of growth during the post war era. Examples of this are Indianapolis, Columbus, the Twin Cities, Kansas City.

I would put Chicago in its own category since it features aspects from each of these.

Do you think this distinction is accurate or meaningful in any way?

If so, what are the biggest cultural and day to day differences between each of these two types of cities?

One difference I can think of is the difference between so called “Ohio Tough” and “Minnesota Nice”, which are two terms I’ve heard said before, but what other differences are there aside from this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 08:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
What category is Cincy, Milwaukee, Quad Cities, Omaha, Toledo, Louisville, Lexington fall into?

Old 08-06-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What category is Cincy, Milwaukee, Quad Cities, Omaha, Toledo, Louisville, Lexington fall into?
Cincinnati, Omaha, Louisville, and Lexington all fall into the midwest category. Toledo is definitely rust belt. Milwaukee I would lean towards midwest over rust belt but it has had a lot of industry historically, and a good deal of flight from the the city, but since it still has the majority of it's peak population I'd call it midwestern, but I'm not sure. I don't know enough about the quad cities area to answer that one.

Do you think this distinction makes sense?

Old 08-06-2023, 10:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 5,021,384 times
IMO it might be like three tiers. Mentally I don't really bucket Indy, KC, and Columbus in the same category as the Twin Cities, Madison WI, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Urbana-Champaign. That former group has some vitality and decent growth, but the cores of those cities are pretty rough in a lot of areas.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:49 PM

682 posts, read 417,583 times
I think really it’s just a case of the difference between Upper and Lower Midwest. The only exception being St. Louis being the only rust belt city in the Lower region.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Milwaukee - rust belt

Cincy - neither

Quad Cities - rust belt

Omaha - modern white collar

Toledo - Rust belt

Louisville/Lexington - not midwest

Old 08-07-2023, 07:26 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
It almost sounds as though you are trying to make only 2 distinctions when more exist.

I don't disagree with you that there are more modern standout cities (Twin Cities, Madison, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Columbus) and rust belt ones (Milwaukee, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Duluth, etc)

You have plains cities (KCMO, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo), Upper Midwest that identify with winter (TC's, Grand Rapids, Madison, etc). You have the snowbelt (Buffalo, Cleveland, Rochester, Syracuse, Duluth) Amish Country (OH, PA, IN, KY), etc.

All have their differences, and general similarities of being less expensive, less flashy, more salt of the earth.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,077,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I think really it’s just a case of the difference between Upper and Lower Midwest. The only exception being St. Louis being the only rust belt city in the Lower region.
Kansas City hid a bunch of core city decline with massive annexation. It's current land area is nearly 400% larger than it was in 1950, It's population has only increased 11% in that time frame. It's definitely had some rustbelt problems.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Kansas City hid a bunch of core city decline with massive annexation. It's current land area is nearly 400% larger than it was in 1950, It's population has only increased 11% in that time frame. It's definitely had some rustbelt problems.
So they did what Memphis did, huh. I’ve never been to Kansas City so I wonder if it feels “midwestern” or if it has that sort of gritty spirit that places like Detroit have because of their struggles. Does anybody kinda get what I mean by that?

Old 08-07-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It almost sounds as though you are trying to make only 2 distinctions when more exist.

I don't disagree with you that there are more modern standout cities (Twin Cities, Madison, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Columbus) and rust belt ones (Milwaukee, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Duluth, etc)

You have plains cities (KCMO, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo), Upper Midwest that identify with winter (TC's, Grand Rapids, Madison, etc). You have the snowbelt (Buffalo, Cleveland, Rochester, Syracuse, Duluth) Amish Country (OH, PA, IN, KY), etc.

All have their differences, and general similarities of being less expensive, less flashy, more salt of the earth.
Oh no, the more distinctions the better. What would you say these distinctions mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.