Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 02:46 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

In pancake-flat South Florida, there is a ridge that runs north-south in the southern part of Palm Beach County. Seacrest Blvd. runs generally along its spine. Here's a view along the parallel Swinton Ave. showing the hill heading up toward Seacrest. It may not look like much, but by South Florida standards, it's like Mount Everest.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.4944...6656?entry=ttu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 03:23 PM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Manhattan has 500 foot cliffs across the Hudson that are
Visible from the west side shore line. Fairly dramatic. Staten Island itself rises to over 400 feet dramatically in the Todt Hill neighborhood - with excellent views of NY harbor opening up toward the open Atlantic Ocean, and of course, incredible views of the Manhattan skyline as well. Within metro limits is Mount Beacon which is 1,600 feet high, also rising dramatically from the Hudson - 30 miles as crow flies midtown Manhattan. It’s visible from the skyscrapers - and you can see the skyline from the top of the mountain as well.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:42 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Manhattan has 500 foot cliffs across the Hudson that are
Visible from the west side shore line. Fairly dramatic. Staten Island itself rises to over 400 feet dramatically in the Todt Hill neighborhood - with excellent views of NY harbor opening up toward the open Atlantic Ocean, and of course, incredible views of the Manhattan skyline as well. Within metro limits is Mount Beacon which is 1,600 feet high, also rising dramatically from the Hudson - 30 miles as crow flies midtown Manhattan. It’s visible from the skyscrapers - and you can see the skyline from the top of the mountain as well.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe the NYC Metro area as flat. It's quite hilly in many parts of the region so really wouldn't qualify for this thread.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:51 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Southern New Jersey isn't completely flat.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7936...!1e4?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7916...!1e4?entry=ttu

Two hundred and forty feet!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0053...!1e4?entry=ttu

Old 08-07-2023, 04:09 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe the NYC Metro area as flat. It's quite hilly in many parts of the region so really wouldn't qualify for this thread.
It looks pretty flat from here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7662...!1e4?entry=ttu

Quite a few people who have visited New York City have only spent time in Manhattan.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
At the state level, Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Wisconsin are all hillier than most people think they are.
I'm pretty sure most people are aware of the mountains in Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and most definitely Tennessee.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:59 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It looks pretty flat from here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7662...!1e4?entry=ttu

Quite a few people who have visited New York City have only spent time in Manhattan.
Way to take it out of context and show a single street view. The name of the OP thread is "regions known to be flat."

One street in Manhattan does not constitute a region. The entire Tri-state? Sure that's a region. Known as flat? Never.

Can't believe I have to explain this.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:29 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In honor of the "flattest vs hilliest" cities thread. I thought I would start one. By looking at google maps have you found any areas that are surprisingly hilly in regions that are known to be pancake flat? Here's one I found.

Altamonte Springs FL just north of Orlando

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6872...n-US&entry=ttu

Not exactly hilly but more than I would expect from the Orlando area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Many years ago I did a Triathlon in Clermont and was shocked how hilly it was. A lot of folks who are used to training in the flatlands of Florida were walking their bikes up one particular incline.

I was thinking central Florida, particularly Clermont. I had driven the Turnpike through Orlando years ago and noticed some "hills". Then a couple years ago drove down US 27 from Clermont all the way to Miami. Was pretty surprised to see hills like this.

Flint Hills region of Kansas has to be mentioned. Kansas is pretty much always being noted as "flat as a pancake". Drove on I-70 a few years ago and yea, it's often true in a lot of spots. But, that area was pretty hilly, and also just plain pretty.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:46 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In honor of the "flattest vs hilliest" cities thread. I thought I would start one. By looking at google maps have you found any areas that are surprisingly hilly in regions that are known to be pancake flat? Here's one I found.

Altamonte Springs FL just north of Orlando

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6872...n-US&entry=ttu

Not exactly hilly but more than I would expect from the Orlando area.
Yes. My brother lives near Ocala and I recall hills there. Some folks refer to that area as horse country due to some of the horse breeding stables that have populated the place.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:14 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I was thinking central Florida, particularly Clermont. I had driven the Turnpike through Orlando years ago and noticed some "hills". Then a couple years ago drove down US 27 from Clermont all the way to Miami. Was pretty surprised to see hills like this.

Flint Hills region of Kansas has to be mentioned. Kansas is pretty much always being noted as "flat as a pancake". Drove on I-70 a few years ago and yea, it's often true in a lot of spots. But, that area was pretty hilly, and also just plain pretty.
Yes Clermont which is about 25 miles due west of downtown Orlando is surprisingly hilly for Florida.

Start this Video at the 2:00 minute mark as this lady drives from Clermont to Orlando :

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.