Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 07:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 882,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer21 View Post
Not impressive. I think the Arkansas River bluffs of Tulsa would be more impressive, such as Turkey Mountain for starters.
Arkansas is known for having mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 08:40 AM

140 posts, read 67,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
The Columbus metro area is in the transition zone from Appalachia to swampy Great Lakes prairies. In the MSA boundaries you can find quite hilly areas, but these are in the central city known to be very flat:

Iuka

Walhalla

Grandview

Kanawha

Hilltop

Noe Bixby

Northern Woods
Columbus sits less than an hour away from this:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...&bih=937&dpr=1

If you looks at photos of the Columbus skyline from the NW to SE you can see the foothills in the background. You can easily make weekend trips to a plethora of state parks and national forests in about an hour from Columbus.

With Ohio sitting further to the east it may not get that extremely flat reputation that other areas get, especially since so much of it sits within the Appalachian foothills, but it is still shocking how little people know about some of Ohio's natural assets.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:33 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
This road outside of Toronto. I think Toronto is generally considered flat no?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9747...8192?entry=ttu

Old 08-11-2023, 12:26 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This road outside of Toronto. I think Toronto is generally considered flat no?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9747...8192?entry=ttu
Generally speaking, it is flat. Although when you drive to Southern Ontario (Niagara region) then you get some cliffs along the Lake which are pretty nice.

I have been in a few suburban areas outside the city of Toronto that look like the picture in that link. However I don't believe that's what the majority of the area looks like. I did see some hilly spots in the region but not a lot.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:51 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,668 times
Oklahoma has several areas that many would consider surprising. They are not your stereotypical Oklahoma images.

Southeast Oklahoma

Southeast Oklahoma

Southeast Oklahoma

Northeast Oklahoma

Northeast Oklahoma

Southwest Oklahoma

Southwest Oklahoma

Old 08-11-2023, 02:09 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Oklahoma has several areas that many would consider surprising. They are not your stereotypical Oklahoma images.

Southeast Oklahoma

Southeast Oklahoma

Southeast Oklahoma

Northeast Oklahoma

Northeast Oklahoma

Southwest Oklahoma

Southwest Oklahoma
Thanks for posting. These first two especially are insane. The first one almost looks like somewhere in the Palouse in Eastern Washington, the second one is like Brazil.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:28 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Columbus sits less than an hour away from this:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...&bih=937&dpr=1

If you looks at photos of the Columbus skyline from the NW to SE you can see the foothills in the background. You can easily make weekend trips to a plethora of state parks and national forests in about an hour from Columbus.

With Ohio sitting further to the east it may not get that extremely flat reputation that other areas get, especially since so much of it sits within the Appalachian foothills, but it is still shocking how little people know about some of Ohio's natural assets.
Agreed. Ohio is a pretty state. Upstate New York is beautify as well.......honestly reminded me more of Ohio than PA because of the farms and more scattered forest, although people with more experience are free to disagree.

Oklahoma gets a bad rap too for reasons unknown. I have never been there, but "panhandle flat" is the state's general reputation and as pictures here show, there is much more than that. Maybe one day I will visit.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Generally speaking, it is flat. Although when you drive to Southern Ontario (Niagara region) then you get some cliffs along the Lake which are pretty nice.

I have been in a few suburban areas outside the city of Toronto that look like the picture in that link. However I don't believe that's what the majority of the area looks like. I did see some hilly spots in the region but not a lot.
Toronto is quite ravenous actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJPrkVP3s8

The Scarborough Bluffs are within the city of Toronto against Lake Ontario

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...o_Ontario.html

Old 08-11-2023, 04:25 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
The largest elevation difference in the city limits of Buffalo is only about 140 feet, but the vertical differential in Erie County (Buffalo) is 1380 feet, almost double that of Cuyahoga or Allegheny County.
View from Downtown Buffalo looking southeast
View of Buffalo from Niagara Falls
Holiday Valley
Zoar Valley

Old 08-11-2023, 07:55 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto is quite ravenous actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJPrkVP3s8

The Scarborough Bluffs are within the city of Toronto against Lake Ontario

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...o_Ontario.html
Gotcha. Ravines are a good middle ground between hilly and flat. Yeah those areas look familiar and I do remember driving in the city limits on the way towards downtown and seeing similar topography.

I believe those Scarborough bluffs are by the Beach district which was a cool area that I'd spend a fair amount of time in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.