Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 04:37 PM

73 posts, read 233,738 times

Advertisements

For those that are considering a move FROM the Brentwood / Franklin TN area, what area or states are on your radar?

A little background. We have lived in Brentwood for almost 10 years and have loved every minute of it. Top of the list is the outstanding school district, but now that our children have grown, we are ready for a change. Preferably a different state because we know all of the areas here and we wouldn’t leave where we currently live for them.

Did anyone move here due to a job change or just for a fresh start? I’d love to hear from you if you liked where you moved from or have family that really likes where they live. Living around a slightly smaller city the size of Huntsville would be preferable.

Last edited by JMT; 12-28-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 08:52 PM

194 posts, read 189,873 times
Consider Scottsdale. Great weather, restaurants/nightlife, it's close to So Cal, wealthy, safe, cheaper than NY and CA.

Brentwood and Franklin are nice, but Scottsdale, in my opinion, has Brentwood and Franklin beat in every category...easily.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 40,691 times
I've lived all over: CA, WA, UT, MD. I'm now in Brentwood and LOVE IT. We love having Nashville and big airport nearby. Lots of local places with live music, good food, etc. I can't think of any other place I'd rather live, but everyone is different. It all depends on what you want.

Mountain living? Asheville could be cool. Do you like nightlife?

Old 08-19-2023, 10:54 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,502 times
We love Brentwood and are not seriously considering moving but, a recent vacation to Seattle confirmed our #1 destination if we ever do leave Brentwood. Denver would be second but, not really a close second.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:59 PM

61 posts, read 110,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
We love Brentwood and are not seriously considering moving but, a recent vacation to Seattle confirmed our #1 destination if we ever do leave Brentwood. Denver would be second but, not really a close second.
Just curious where you visited in the Seattle area that makes you want to move there? My son went to school at UofWashington in Seattle and the area around the campus if full of homeless people and drug addicts. Same with downtown Seattle, it's horrible. He couldn't wait to graduate and get across the lake and now lives in Bellevue area. The quality of living across the lake from the city is like night and day.

Old 12-25-2023, 03:08 PM

15 posts, read 11,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Consider Scottsdale. Great weather, restaurants/nightlife, it's close to So Cal, wealthy, safe, cheaper than NY and CA.

Brentwood and Franklin are nice, but Scottsdale, in my opinion, has Brentwood and Franklin beat in every category...easily.

Until they Run out Of Water...

I never could stand Scottsdale-Plastic Artificial Faux City...

Wealthy?? You must be having Delusions??

Old 12-27-2023, 11:34 PM

194 posts, read 189,873 times
[quote=user_3421;66227130]Until they Run out Of Water...

I never could stand Scottsdale-Plastic Artificial Faux City...

Wealthy?? You must be having Delusions??

It's ridiculous to even suggest that Scottsdale will run out of water. There's a greater likelihood of Kim Jong Un becoming the next President of the United States than Scottsdale running out of water anytime soon. Do some research.

There are currently several homes in Scottsdale for sale that are over $20 million. The highest priced home in Brentwood now is $7.5 million. North Scottsdale has many very wealthy people from LA and NY. I don't know what you consider wealthy. I guess it's all relative. You may live in a $100 million estate in Greenwich. For a peasant like me, I think people who can afford $30 million homes in Scottsdale are wealthy.

Scottsdale offers a good quality of life, and I can't remember the last time I heard of a blizzard, tornado, earthquake, or hurricane killing people or destroying homes in Scottsdale.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:20 AM

540 posts, read 555,881 times
I live near Brentwood and have been in the area a decent amount, and I've always been disappointed in it. Not that it's bad or anything, but rather because it feels like a lesser version of things elsewhere (Franklin, I like more, but it feels unnecessarily expensive to shop around).

The first comparison I have would be the Mountain Brook/Homewood/Vestavia Hills area of Birmingham (surprisingly, the three combined have the same physical footprint as Brentwood). Essentially, take the shopping in Franklin, but add more and varied price points, and the schools of both, smash them together, and make it quicker to reach anywhere else in the metro. The eastern shore of the Mobile Bay area (Fairhope/Magnolia Springs/Daphne/etc) would be another Alabama option if you're more of a beach person than a mountain one.

I don't know about the schools in the area, and it's a lot denser, but I also would prefer the Carytown area of Richmond over Brentwood (especially for shopping). If you want a more away from thing feel in Virginia, then Crozet. (For a comparative, I feel about the DC suburb Reston the same I feel about Brentwood.)

Fishkill/Beacon, NY would also be a pretty nice area to retire (again, don't know about schools). That said, take a look at the areas and don't go just by the city name on the address.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:42 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Scottsdale comes off as very wealthy

Old 12-28-2023, 09:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Scottsdale comes off as very wealthy
Indeed, Scottsdale is wealthy, with a median household income of a bit over $100k. While somewhat lower than some of the better known wealthy enclaves on the coasts (e.g. Beverly Hills at $116k), the cost of housing in Scottsdale is also a lot more affordable, though not cheap with a median price of around $900k (vs. Beverly Hills at $3.5M). High income + moderate cost of living = wealth. You don't get wealthy by spending all your income on housing

It's not my cup of tea (I prefer cold winters), but one could do a lot worse than Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.