Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

28 posts, read 122,946 times

Advertisements

Here are my list of the Top Ten U.S. Cities based on no particular criteria. The order of the cities reflects no particular ranking. This is just a general top ten. Which cities, if any do you think don't belong on this list and which cities would you add to this list?

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Seattle
6. Austin
7. San Francisco
8. Washington D.C.
9. Denver
10. Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
Here are my list of the Top Ten U.S. Cities based on no particular criteria. The order of the cities reflects no particular ranking. This is just a general top ten. Which cities, if any do you think don't belong on this list and which cities would you add to this list?

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Seattle
6. Austin
7. San Francisco
8. Washington D.C.
9. Denver
10. Boston
Miami shouldn't be on the list or it should be lower, how about Atlanta or Dallas?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
1. here
2. there
3. everywhere

Crap, I ran out.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

250 posts, read 335,880 times
Quote:
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Seattle
6. Austin
7. San Francisco
8. Washington D.C.
9. Denver
10. Boston
Identifying no criteria leaves this wide open to taste without explanation. However, Seattle would be after Boston and Miami would be under DC, in my opinion.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
I think Dallas or Houston should be on there instead of Austin.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
In no particular order:

1. L.A.
2. NYC
3. Chicago
4. Seattle
5. Houston
6. Boston
7. San Francisco
8. Minneapolis
9. Dallas
10. Philadelphia

Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Seattle
6. Austin
7. San Francisco
8. Washington D.C.
9. Denver
10. Boston
Me personally, I'd take out Austin and Denver and replace it with New Orleans and Honolulu, every other city seems fine and belongs in the Top 10.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Miami shouldn't be on the list or it should be lower, how about Atlanta or Dallas?
When I see Miami, I think more of that whole region from West Palm beach to FLauterdale, south to Miami, and even the keys....in that sense, that region is killer....I don't think there is anything like it in the USA....so sexy, aquatic, boating, yachting, nightclubbing, salsa/cuban, expatriate Newyoaaaakers, shopping, art deco, beaches, beautiful bodies, etc......

As a region, suffice it to say that it rocks as a whole, all the way to Key West....

Atlanta and Dallas don't even rank as a cipher compared to the southeast fla/keys region

Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Me personally, I'd take out Austin and Denver and replace it with New Orleans and Honolulu, every other city seems fine and belongs in the Top 10.
Denver itself is not a top 10 city...just a fancier great plains city, like Omaha on steroids....I can't count how many people from Denver come here to Austin saying how they cant wait to get away from there. If Denver was in the top 10, they wouldn't be itching to move....now, its immediate access to the Rockies trumps that problem, though the front range is inundated with rather boring cities, like greely, ft,collins, pueblo, and even col springs.....again, if it wasn't for the rockies, denver would be a large Omaha.....

Austin should stay.....it is one of the few US cities with a singular personality and feel, though I pray that people stop coming here, as it is ready to jump the shark with all the growth......

Nawlins......post-Katrina, its a different place..not as earthy or ethnic as it once was.....the 4th ward essentially washed away, along with the people......so many just went and stayed in BR and Houston....still special
in Feb, but not the same as it was........pre-katrina/yes..post/no........
per top 10......

Honolulu......yes, but in its own category, being so off the grid...and too
hard to compete per the other 49.........def its own world, but pretty small to be a top 10 city......if you ranked it per quality of life, it should be at the top....pe things to do, prob not in top 10 as it is quite small compared to the rest, but, you don't move there for anything but the ambience, and oh boy, does honolulu have that hang loose feeling! I can hear the island
music now as I type....ahhhhhhhhhhh..........pour me another pina colada.....

Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Denver itself is not a top 10 city...just a fancier great plains city, like Omaha on steroids....I can't count how many people from Denver come here to Austin saying how they cant wait to get away from there. If Denver was in the top 10, they wouldn't be itching to move....now, its immediate access to the Rockies trumps that problem, though the front range is inundated with rather boring cities, like greely, ft,collins, pueblo, and even col springs.....again, if it wasn't for the rockies, denver would be a large Omaha.....

Austin should stay.....it is one of the few US cities with a singular personality and feel, though I pray that people stop coming here, as it is ready to jump the shark with all the growth......

Nawlins......post-Katrina, its a different place..not as earthy or ethnic as it once was.....the 4th ward essentially washed away, along with the people......so many just went and stayed in BR and Houston....still special
in Feb, but not the same as it was........pre-katrina/yes..post/no........
per top 10......

Honolulu......yes, but in its own category, being so off the grid...and too
hard to compete per the other 49.........def its own world, but pretty small to be a top 10 city......if you ranked it per quality of life, it should be at the top....pe things to do, prob not in top 10 as it is quite small compared to the rest, but, you don't move there for anything but the ambience, and oh boy, does honolulu have that hang loose feeling! I can hear the island
music now as I type....ahhhhhhhhhhh..........pour me another pina colada.....
I've never been to Austin so I can't really base anything off of personal experience, just my perception and opinion of it. I've read it's overrated and not all cracked up to what's they claim it is like, not saying that is true cuz I have no way of judging that myself right now. It appeals to me as maybe a place to live and settle down, but not to take a vacation to. I can see what makes it special and unique being inside Texas but outside of TX I don't think it would be such a big deal personally. It seems hip, funky, liberal, etc..but do so other cities. Not trying to say anything bad about Austin, seems like a perfectly fine city overall.

I went to Mardi Gras in 2004 and the one this past February and I really didn't notice much of a difference. I stayed in the main tourists areas, which were not nearly as damaged or affected as other parts so that is probably part of it for me. The city still had plenty of soul and character to me as it did in 2004, but it was Mardi Gras and you just can't help but have a great time there.

Honolulu is pretty far out there and I think people on the West Coast probably rank it higher b/c we have easier access and cheaper flights to it, so are probably the biggest group mainland visitors to it. It's a very unique city which is why I put it up there, despite it not having many people. Although for a metro area of around only 800,000 it has a TON of skyscrapers and dense development. Plus my mom's family is from there and I go often so I like it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.