Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

Absolutely right. Many (not all) of the problems of big cities that people complain about would be remedied by increased growth of the middle class and affluent population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I'm with radraja and missionhome. Although my kids are now grown (well, sort of), the good schools, and good programming for kids was very important to me when they were smaller. I started out as an urban afficianado, but we moved to the burbs for the yard, and in our case, for the small town, almost rural feel our community had 25 yrs ago. It's now much more suburban, but still retains that small-town atmosphere. Just yesterday, my DD and I went down to the library to donate some old eyeglasses, and stopped by the Farmer's Market. DD (age 20), remarked that our town seems somewhat more authentic than some of the "New Urbanist" areas that try to mimic what we have. That, of course, is for another thread. HOWEVER, I have read research that suburbanites are more likely to be involved with civic affairs in their town than city people. Perhaps that is because the govt. is more upclose and personal than in the city. I testified several times at city council meetings re: recreation center issues. That is something you are unlikely to do in my "Host City", Denver.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
If the city is the host, does that mean suburbs are parasites?

Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
If the city is the host, does that mean suburbs are parasites?
Very funny. While I will always champion urban living over suburban living, I don't fault those who choose to live in suburbia. I just wish so many weren't choosing the latter over the former because as others have excellently pointed out, the mass outflux of the middle-class from our nation's cities is exactly what has left so many of them in such a sad state of disrepair.

My particular situation is an anomaly. Scranton has very low violent crime, average property crime, above-average public schools, reasonable property taxes, and housing prices that are generally lower than in the suburbs. Nevertheless the 'burbs here have been booming so much that for the first time in many decades our area is growing in population again, offsetting the constant losses in the city. I can see why people may wish to raise a family in, per se, Livonia, MI over Detroit, MI, but there's just no excuse for this sprawling development where I live.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I could move back into The City no problem. But as of now, I'm pretty happy with Tiburon.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times
For me, I'd love to live in an urban area. What does it take? Walkability. Shopping, entertainment, bars and restaurants in one area. Affordable new housing (new is necessary because of allergies). Safe to walk the streets at night, as I am a night person. Down to earth people -- not purely the upper crust in the area. Significant pedestrian traffic and human interaction.

The urban areas of Toronto and Chicago fit most of that criteria, as do a few other places. A cheaper New York or San Francisco would as well.

In SoCal, I have found Glendale to fit the bill for urban living. San Diego and Long Beach somewhat, but they're too yuppified for me to be comfortable living there (especially SD). Los Angeles lacks the nightlife, bars, and shopping. Pasadena does reasonably well by this criteria as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I was born in Iowa City and grew up in a suburb of that city for 22 years. I impatiently waited until I graduated college, and then moved to the north side of Chicago right away.

I've been here 7 years and have loved every minute of it. I'm urban to the core, and would have to be drug out kicking and screaming if I were ever to move to the burbs.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM

251 posts, read 710,464 times
I think $10 per gallon of gas will do the trick.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
I think $10 per gallon of gas will do the trick.
Why, if I work 4 1/2 miles away in the same suburb, would I want to move to Denver? DH works 6 miles away. Denver would add 25 miles to such commutes, and in my case, it wouldn't be worth the extra time to even work there.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why, if I work 4 1/2 miles away in the same suburb, would I want to move to Denver? DH works 6 miles away. Denver would add 25 miles to such commutes, and in my case, it wouldn't be worth the extra time to even work there.
Katiana, your situation is somewhat of an anomaly though. I can't name one person in my own suburban subdivision that doesn't rely upon our host cities of Scranton or Wilkes-Barre for something or other on at least a bi-daily basis. My father works in Downtown Scranton. I attend school in Downtown Wilkes-Barre. My mother works out of her car in both cities. My neighbors frequent Philharmonic concerts, festivals, hockey games, baseball games, etc. nearer to the city proper.

It's nice that you have been blessed enough to be able to live in a well-planned mixed-zoned suburb with sidewalks, bike paths, and a progressive attitude, but many other suburbs, including my own, really are just parasites of the city proper---sponging off of their amenities without paying any tax revenues to support those very same services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.