Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Could you define "urban". I think it is a term that means a lot of different things to different people.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM

260 posts, read 926,167 times
Have you checked out Boulder, Colorado? I don't live there.. I'm in the "rainy" Seattle area, which by the way is sunny today!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
richmond, va? providence, RI?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I would say Farmington,NM, its a small town of 40,000+ with a VERY good economy, the town is really booming and jobs are easy to come by,weather is somewhat mild but no green but plenty of activities.

Tulsa,OK is another choice but with humidity, from what I hear its very nice

Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 AM

83 posts, read 271,209 times
Hmmm....how about Santa Fe? The climate is good, there's a ton of culture, and it's "somewhat urban," as you say.
Cost of living is a bit high there, though not any higher than most cities on the coasts.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 71,638 times
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I checked out a lot of them.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I would say Farmington,NM, its a small town of 40,000+ with a VERY good economy, the town is really booming and jobs are easy to come by,weather is somewhat mild but no green but plenty of activities.

Tulsa,OK is another choice but with humidity, from what I hear its very nice

I tired looking at jobs for Farmington but, all I could really find were health jobs. Is there a special web site to look up jobs?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM

910 posts, read 2,984,879 times
hey bella have you checked the midwest? how about chicago or indianapolis? that shouldnt be to harsh of winters and summers. great job opportunities, great condo values if your looking for those, great locations weather wise, economically, transportation, and culture. louisville or cincinatti wouldnt be bad choices either. and those cities are great for baseball games if you like to go to those.

good luck with your journey

Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
richmond, va? providence, RI?
I was actually looking at those places a couple years ago but, it seems like the cost of living is really high compared to wages. Or if you do make good money you have a long commute. I was really liking RI.

Sometimes it's difficult to research cities online or even when you take a vacation. I'm originally from Vegas and almost 2 years ago I moved to a small town near Yosemite National Park in California. Prior to moving here I visited once a year (have family here) and I researched jobs and cost of living. I even checked some apts out when I was on vacation. Everything thing seemed really good. So I moved out here. I'll tell you what, the results are completely different than my research. The cost of living is all right but the wages are so low, you can't afford anything.

Okay, sorry I'm venting :-) I guess my thought/question is that if you have relocated and did a lot of research, did your research match your results?

For instance, it seems like an accountant (mid-level) would make about $50,000-60,000 out in the East coast. But when I research the cost of living I don't believe that would be enough income to live in a decent area plus pay for school loans, a car, and save. What's your thought?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
hey bella have you checked the midwest? how about chicago or indianapolis? that shouldnt be to harsh of winters and summers. great job opportunities, great condo values if your looking for those, great locations weather wise, economically, transportation, and culture. louisville or cincinatti wouldnt be bad choices either. and those cities are great for baseball games if you like to go to those.

good luck with your journey
I've been to Chicago......toooooooo cold :-0

I've checked out St. Louis and really liked it. I even have a friend out therd. But when I research the city it doesn't seem like there are that many jobs out there. And if I could find an accounting job I would only make in the low to mid 30's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.