Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 71,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Have you checked out Boulder, Colorado? I don't live there.. I'm in the "rainy" Seattle area, which by the way is sunny today!!!
I've been to Seattle twice and both times it was sunny perfect weather!! (and back home in Vegas it was stormy :-) I LOVED Seattle! I wish it would have been bad weather at least one of the times because I keep thinking that's how it would be all summer long. But reading posts in the Seattle forum, that doesn't seem true. I would love to move out there but, I like sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well if your willing to compromise on weather, Omaha fits it all. We have a huge sense of community here, our job market is vibrant, and we have several corporations that need accountants (Mutual of Omaha, Woodmen of the World, First National Bank, Union Pacific etc.) Though we really have 4 seasons, summer gets up to 105 rarely and we are pretty humid (dont know percentages sorry) and in the winter it rarely gets into the negatives. For a plus, you could probably get a much cheaper rent for a 1 br.
I looked up Omaha and the results turned out better that I thought but, the job market doesn't seem that great. What website would you recommend?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,304 times
Dear bella25,

I would like to recommend you SEATTLE

average accountant salary with bonuses is around $62,000
the crime rate is below national average - ranked one of the safer cities in the US
scenery - water, forests and mountains - emerald city
malls in and around Seattle: Westlake Center, Westfield Vancouver, Tacoma Mall, Westfield Capital, Northgate Mall, Everett Mall, Bellevue Square, Alderwood Mall, etc.
Seattle have got A LOT of job opportunities - it's booming city
Cost of living is little higher of national average, however, I'm sure that you will find apartment for less than $1200
be sure that you will find a lot types of cultures and diversity in Seattle, it's a music hub of USA, Seattle have got a lot of Asian population = smart

Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 AM

My main concern about Seattle is the rain. Do you live in Seattle?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
My main concern about Seattle is the rain. Do you live in Seattle?
It doesn't rain as much as the movie Sleepless in Seattle would have you believe. There are many days where it is cloudy and overcast but there is no precipitation. Usually during the summer the weather is very nice, highs of 75/80 and blue skies, with low humidity. I think the rain reputation is overblown, the problem that people have is dealing with many days of grey/overcast skies in a row. During the winter, there can be stretches of 1-2weeks where its extremely cloudy every day. It may rain on half of those days, but its really the lack of sunlight that some people have a hard time dealing with. For many though, the great summers makes up for it. Others, not so much.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It doesn't rain as much as the movie Sleepless in Seattle would have you believe. There are many days where it is cloudy and overcast but there is no precipitation. Usually during the summer the weather is very nice, highs of 75/80 and blue skies, with low humidity. I think the rain reputation is overblown, the problem that people have is dealing with many days of grey/overcast skies in a row. During the winter, there can be stretches of 1-2weeks where its extremely cloudy every day. It may rain on half of those days, but its really the lack of sunlight that some people have a hard time dealing with. For many though, the great summers makes up for it. Others, not so much.

I live in the mountains so, grey skies in the winter are fine with me. How long does a sunny summer in Seattle last? I understand it will rain in the summer but will the majority of the summer be sunny? And what months are considered summer? And what about Spring and Fall? I've looked up the weather info but, I don't want to rely on that especially since it said that Vegas summer avg was in the 90's, which I know from experience, completely bs.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,265 times
I would deffinatly say Portland, Oregon, especially since you are into Seattle. It is much like Seattle except not as big and the people are friendlier. It is located in the same region and the weather is very similar. Portland still has that urban vibe, with plenty of new buildings going up, and it has a fantastic public transportation system. It is only an hour and a half drive from the beach, and was built right on two big rivers.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I would deffinatly say Portland, Oregon, especially since you are into Seattle. It is much like Seattle except not as big and the people are friendlier. It is located in the same region and the weather is very similar. Portland still has that urban vibe, with plenty of new buildings going up, and it has a fantastic public transportation system. It is only an hour and a half drive from the beach, and was built right on two big rivers.
I've considered Portland a lot and Klammath Falls. But I guess what it really comes down to is that I'm scared I won't be able to find a good job there. I've already have the experience of moving somewhere and not being able to find a good job. And I so do not want to go through with that again. I've looked at craigslist for acccounting (mid-level) jobs in Portland but, there doesn't seem to be many. And when you look at monster and other sites it's mostly temp agency postings. So who really knows how the job market is. And I know if Vegas there's a lot jobs, but there are also tons of people applying for the same jobs, so inturn the job market isn't all that great

Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
have you checked indianapolis, cincinatti, or louisville? i know indy has good paying jobs.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM

45 posts, read 199,731 times
I wouldn't discount the temp jobs out-of-hand. I know that there are a lot of larger companies these days that have cut back on straight hires and utilize temps, then make an offer. Tektronix, Nike, and PGE all work that way. I have friends who are employed in these places and all say they did time of 1-2 years as temps before they were hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.