Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city lacks Amusement?
New York 5 6.41%
Los Angeles 3 3.85%
Chicago 3 3.85%
Houston 12 15.38%
Dallas 13 16.67%
Seattle 7 8.97%
Miami 3 3.85%
Phoenix 30 38.46%
San diego 3 3.85%
Philadelphia 6 7.69%
Nashville 8 10.26%
Detroit 22 28.21%
Denver 4 5.13%
San francisco 3 3.85%
Boston 2 2.56%
New Orleans 4 5.13%
Atlanta 4 5.13%
Honolulu 2 2.56%
Omaha 38 48.72%
St. Louis 10 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how 10 people could possibly vote for Dallas - we have been holding the largest State Fair in the country for over 100 years. And Fair Park is the largest collection of Art Deco exhibition buildings left in the world. It's a National Historic Landmark.

1936 Texas Centennial Celebration

BigTex.com

State Fair of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fair Park :: Home Page (http://www.fairpark.org/index.cfm?FuseAction=Page&PageID=1000000 - broken link)

Historic Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Haha, I love how there are three NYC haters on here so far. My votes went to Detroit, Omaha, St. Louis, and Phoenix. I haven't been to some of the others on there but honestly, NYC not amusing? NYC may not be amusing in terms of amusement park rides but when you're walking the energetic streets of this great city how can you not be amused by the Irish pub owner cussing all the time or an Italian chef yelling across the room to get his co-workers attention?

And you want an amusement park? Head out to Coney Island or go to Jersey. I hate amusement parks, though. Wait in line for an hour to ride a 30 second roller coaster. I did that in Ohio and I'll never do it again. The ride wasn't even that fun and other people agreed with me.

Omaha was a bit boring because it's so small but it did have some activitiy like a concert and barbecues in some park (can't remember which one).

Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm wondering how 10 people could possibly vote for Dallas - we have been holding the largest State Fair in the country for over 100 years. And Fair Park is the largest collection of Art Deco exhibition buildings left in the world. It's a National Historic Landmark.

1936 Texas Centennial Celebration

BigTex.com

State Fair of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fair Park :: Home Page (http://www.fairpark.org/index.cfm?FuseAction=Page&PageID=1000000 - broken link)

Historic Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
Because people think it's a dead, wild west town in the middle of nowhere. I didn't vote for Dallas because I knew it wasn't dead. Dallas is surprisingly modern and classy.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:04 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
houston lacks alot of amusement. we have no amusement park anymore and the only thing we have that makes us different from other cities is space center houston and even that's pretty crappy
Now, hang on there. You forgot you had Kemah. That's not such a bad place and they've got a fantastic boardwalk. No Astroworld? No problem.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
In a place like New Orleans or Boston you dont have to go eat at a Applebees and go to the mall to have fun like in Phoenix, there is so much more to see and do.
Well, in PHX's defense, there are some fun things to do, but for its size I think its horribly lacking. Someone from Omaha might think PHX is the promised land and as fun as being a kid in a candy store. But for someone like me (Chicagoland), I didnt see what the big deal was. It was like a big suburb, with blast-furnace air and imported palm trees. Oooooh.

With that being said I did like the Desert Botanical Garden, the Heard Museum, hiking, etc. But for man-made amusement, it was rather bland.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default Now THIS Place Lacks Amusement

My vote would be for a city not even on the list, since everyone on this latest list pretty much has something to offer. That city would be Casper, Wyoming.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Phoenix and Detroit, as well as Houston and Dallas (but not so much as the first two)

I agree with what everyone says that, despite Phoenix's size, it's seriously lacking in things to do.

I had much more fun in Tucson to the south, and found a lot more vibrancy and fun things there.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:16 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
A small amusement park doesnt make it a fun city. Several smaller cities in this country have amusement parks that blow PHX's out of the water. Malls? What big city doesnt have them??? Restaurants? PHX's restaurants suck compared to most large cities, same goes for the bars... And whats "glitzy" in PHX? Most of the glitzy stuff is found OUTSIDE Phoenix. Seriously, for its size, I also find PHX somewhat lacking in the amusement department.
Well, what ppl have to remember is that Phoenix has grown super large, in a super short time. The amusement parks will come. On the flip-side, an amusement park does not make a city. An amusement park is considered a waste of time by a lot of ppl, and not necessarily a reason to live or visit a city. When I mentioned "glitzy" I am referring to many of the fabulous resorts, spas, golf courses, lux hotels, and upper class stuff found in and around Phoenix.
I'd visit Phoenix for a vacation anyday, than for example, Portland, OR, Denver, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Houston...good lord, the list goes on....

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Lots of fun places to go - I had a hard time voting for any of those cities!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Well, what ppl have to remember is that Phoenix has grown super large, in a super short time. The amusement parks will come. On the flip-side, an amusement park does not make a city. An amusement park is considered a waste of time by a lot of ppl, and not necessarily a reason to live or visit a city. When I mentioned "glitzy" I am referring to many of the fabulous resorts, spas, golf courses, lux hotels, and upper class stuff found in and around Phoenix.
I'd visit Phoenix for a vacation anyday, than for example, Portland, OR, Denver, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Houston...good lord, the list goes on....
I never said an amusement park makes the city fun, you did. And the nice resorts, spas, golf courses, etc, are normally found in Scottsdale. I would also take PHX over Portland, Indy, Cleveland, KC, but NOT over MPLS or Houston. Both MPLS and Houston offer more than PHX. And also, I could care less about PHX's golf courses, considering I cant stand golf. And sadly, one of PHXs biggest draws are its golf courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.