Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 AM

122 posts, read 393,140 times

Advertisements

I need a place with TREES, otherwise I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Scrub land, desert, and such is fine to visit, heck, I really enjoy it, but to live? Uh-uh. I need shade trees in a place that naturally has wooded areas (meaning they grow without irrigation). Now, I'm not saying I have to live IN the woods, but that woods need to be nearby and there need to be trees growing throughout the city. I never felt like I was in the middle of nowhere in Fairbanks, even though it's in the middle of Alaska. And Anchorage is comfy as far as not feeling like I'm in nowheres ville.

Phoenix/Sun City West on the other hand... there's a lot I like, but... no greenery to speak of. The only trees there are palm trees.

Needle leaf (pine, etc.) are fine, all trees are good, but I *need* shade trees!

The states I'm mostly interested in are TX, AZ, and NM- especially TX. I'm "sort of" considering OK, AR, and LA. I figure AR and LA are pretty good in the tree department, so I'm really only listing those for thoroughness. Feel free to skip those two (except maybe to say where the trees *aren't*, lol).

For cities, anything with more than 10,000 people would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I don't think TX, AZ, or NM are ideal "tree" states. East TX would be the best of them. AZ and NM are too hot/cold and dry for trees except in the mountain areas. There you will find pines. There are some exceptions in "riparian" areas along washes and streams where you find huge cottonwoods. Old town Albuquerque is a great example. The communities of Show Low, Lakeside and Pinetop as well as Flagstaff in Arizona have plenty of large pine trees. But there is very little understory growth and limited ferns and grasses and you don't get that "green" look you would have in the eastern US.

Eastern OK is loaded with trees - hickory, oak, maple, and other hardwoods mostly. If you want to widen your search, SW MO is heavily wooded (Mark Twain National Forest) as well and the climate is generally agreeable.

Outside of AZ/NM the trees are there because of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. Keep in mind that in addition to trees, Gulf moisture means oppressive summertime humidity and bugs. In AZ/NM high country you get trees, much lower humidity and few bugs.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Default Live Oak Shade Trees - Gorgeous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
I need a place with TREES, otherwise I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Scrub land, desert, and such is fine to visit, heck, I really enjoy it, but to live? Uh-uh. I need shade trees in a place that naturally has wooded areas (meaning they grow without irrigation). Now, I'm not saying I have to live IN the woods, but that woods need to be nearby and there need to be trees growing throughout the city. I never felt like I was in the middle of nowhere in Fairbanks, even though it's in the middle of Alaska. And Anchorage is comfy as far as not feeling like I'm in nowheres ville.

Phoenix/Sun City West on the other hand... there's a lot I like, but... no greenery to speak of. The only trees there are palm trees.

Needle leaf (pine, etc.) are fine, all trees are good, but I *need* shade trees!

The states I'm mostly interested in are TX, AZ, and NM- especially TX. I'm "sort of" considering OK, AR, and LA. I figure AR and LA are pretty good in the tree department, so I'm really only listing those for thoroughness. Feel free to skip those two (except maybe to say where the trees *aren't*, lol).

Live Oak trees are very lovely and grow throughout much of Texas. They are evergreen and although some leaves fall off during the fall and after a freeze, it still stays green and is quite pretty when new growth begins in the Spring. The large ones can be several hundred years old. I live in Central Texas north of Waco and the attached photo is my 'prized' Live Oak located in my back yard. I love that tree. I've had so many wonderful comments on its beauty.

Keep in mind this is a picture of it after a very thorough trimming, $400 worth in December of 2005, so he is a little bald in the photo. It was so full and hung so low that I had to bend over while mowing the lawn to keep my head from getting tangled in the branches. It will fill out like that again in due course.

There are also many other really nice shade trees. I have a beautiful Red Oak in my front yard that grows very tall and the leaves turn gorgeous shades of red, bronze, and orange during autumn. There are also Maples in this area that produce much shade and tons of others, but I'd have to check my Sperry's gardening book for accurate information. Texas is not treeless in all areas. I know many people that have huge trees all over their yard and their houses are totally shaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Need trees! Which cities in TX, AZ, NM, OK, AR, and LA-trimmed-live-oak.jpg  

Last edited by KewGee; 01-13-2007 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: to add photo

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Here are some pictures from the Dallas area. There are areas w/ LOTS of natural trees and nature perserves. I live near one such, the Spring Creek Perserve in Garland. Usually the people that only concentrate on some areas of the northern Dallas suburbs say it is bearen and w/o trees but they are in areas that once were nothing but farms so naturally there are few trees . I wish I had pictures of the Dallas Arboretum on disc and showing White Rock Lake but you can probably find some sites online w/ pics of those areas. LOTS of natural trees.

The Firewheel Golf Course in Garland

Firewheel neighborhood in Garland

Breckinridge Park in Richardson just up the road from me. HUGE park w/ lots of trails for walking or riding your bike.

Firewheel neighborhood

Lake Tawakoni area about an hour east of Dallas

Brand Rd in Garland in the Firewheel area w/ golf course on the left.

North Garland Ave heading towards Richardson

Area along 190 in Garland w/ LOTS of natural cedars. Just beyond is part of the Spring Creek Perserve w/ other species of trees and one of the best bird watching spots in the area.

North Garland Ave in Garland just past Winters Park (soccer fields) and the water park (Hawaiian Falls). The trees to the left and to the right are just a VERY small part of the SC Perserve.

Sorry I don't have many more. I've got a lot of pics on film I need to get developed. Digital is in the repair shop

Old 01-13-2007, 12:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post

Those were a few pics of the area I am located in the Dallas metroplex. As far as other areas. You will see LOTS of pines as you go south towards Houston. Same w/ East Texas but some areas have more species than others. Depends on how far away from a large city you want to be.

As for the other states you mentioned here is what I am more familiar with.

New Mexico: You will have to get up into the "mountain" areas of the state to have lots of trees. Even aroudn ABQ in the Sandia area there are not that many trees. Pretty spotty as far as native trees. Santa Fe has more trees as do most of the popular ski areas although the city of Taos does not seem very "lush".

Arkansas: Hot Springs has lots of natural trees in many areas. Around Lake Hamilton is nice w/ lots of trees in many areas. If you want out a little more then head up towards Lake Ouchita and be near a BEAUTIFUL lake w/ lots of trees. Eureka Springs has lots of trees also. Many places in the state of Arkansas have lots of native trees. Just depends on what you are looking for if you want to live there. It can be a nice area. I personally love putting around on Lake Hamilton and Ouchita on the Seadoo's. Beautiful scenery and some funky towns/cities.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Neat pictures momof2dfw!

I never would have expected hills like that in north Garland. Most of your pics of the DFW area are a little greener than I expected.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I can second the "no trees" in Northern NM (Taos) or so few it is not worth remarking on at all. It is in fact one of 22 reasons I am investigating a relocation. I love trees!

And although we have a wonderful state forest, it is a forest of very little diversity and little hardwood. I need nearly 1/15 to 1/8 of a cord of wood to get a fire blazing - the fireplace, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

New Mexico: You will have to get up into the "mountain" areas of the state to have lots of trees. Even aroudn ABQ in the Sandia area there are not that many trees. Pretty spotty as far as native trees. Santa Fe has more trees as do most of the popular ski areas although the city of Taos does not seem very "lush".

Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Missouri is full of trees, oaks, hickory, cedars, and lots of them I have no idea what they're called. Just make sure (I know this now from personal experience), that you buy a house with no trees immediately around it! Ice storms decimate them and if your house is under them...

Last edited by MoMark; 01-13-2007 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-13-2007, 04:41 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Default Trees in Michigan!

Although Michigan is not on your list..here is a picture of trees in my "town" in the general area of the thumb of Michigan!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 02-17-2007 at 02:38 AM..

Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Hey Candy Apple,

I know you're looking for shade trees and Texas does have a lot of cedar, mesquite, scrub oaks, and the like that won't give you any shade.

Very often you can buy property that is covered with Live Oaks or Red Oaks, and others that grow well in Texas, and build a house right under them if you so choose.

You probably will need a Texas gardening book to find the best shade trees that do better in whatever areas of Texas and avoid the ones that are short lived. Depending upon where in Texas you settle (if you do choose Texas), a gardening book will really help you decide and avoid scimpy trees that produce little or know shade which are plentiful in Texas. Also plentiful are many beautiful shade trees as depicted in momof2dfw's post.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.