Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Omaha as a World Class City: How does it rank?
1st (There is no place like Nebraska and no city like Omaha... ANYWHERE) 40 31.75%
2nd (because Big-O mass transit is not the best and riding the bus is important) 5 3.97%
3rd (because Omaha has too many white people and whites are void of diversity) 4 3.17%
4th (because corn is lame and Omaha is close to corn) 9 7.14%
5th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Chicago) 4 3.17%
6th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Denver) 1 0.79%
7th (because Omaha is just a suburb of KC) 6 4.76%
8th (because Scranton is still a city and still rocks like nobody's business) 13 10.32%
9th (explain why) 1 0.79%
10th (explain why) 43 34.13%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

30 posts, read 119,967 times

Advertisements

This is funny, thats all I have to add

Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Guys.

Omaha has a convention center!

a CONVENTION CENTER!!!

You could actually have a whole convention in Omaha!!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
omaha put nebraska on the map!

move over lincoln!

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post
Billiam, I think you will need to start your own poll then. My scale goes from 1 to 10 with 1 being the awesomest.

I did not include any places lower than 10th Best City on Earth because I didn't think anyone would vote Omaha lower than 10th. I can, however, understand the couple of people that voted 10th before I clarified that this poll was for Omaha, Nebraska, not one of the half dozen or so imposters.

I can only assume that your apprehension to vote Omaha #1 City in the World can only be based on a lack of knowledge of Omaha. My suggestion is that you check out this thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...our-omaha.html

and then come back and adjust your vote accordingly. I think you'll find a #1 or at least #2 vote much more comfortable.

haha, you just said "awesomest" LMAO

98 posts, read 113,692 times
Ew.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
BTW, some of these things you listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post

Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom?
FIVE Fortune 500 companies?
Home to the 2008 U.S. OLYMPIC swim trials
Home to the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES
A scant 50 miles from UNL, home to the greatest college football team ever
yeah it's great that you have those, but.....

Quote:
An awesome zoo?
We have an awsome zoo, as well. Doesn't make us world class

Quote:

Home to several famous black people?
....guess you've never heard of Atlanta?

Quote:
Access to an interstate that spans the width of the country (I-80)
How does having access to a major interstate highway make you world class?

Quote:
The tallest building between Denver and Minneapolis (nothing in Texas counts because it is too far south)?
Texas doesn't count because it's...... too far south ? That may be, but it's still in between Denver and Minneapolis. So really, how does it not count?

Quote:
3 major malls (five if you count our two outdoor ones)?
Malls make you world class ?

Quote:
Home to a major Midwestern airport with TWO terminals?
That's good. And we're just next to the third buisiest airport in the world.......

Quote:
If you were driving down I-80 in eastern Nebraska (as everyone reading this has no doubt done at least a few times) and were low on gas, you'd think Omaha is important enough.
Once again, I'm not saying Omaha is a worthless place. But it's just not a world class city. Omaha could shoot for:
-Most underrated
-Best American city to live in
-Best Midwestern city (....behind Chicago. Sorry, I just don't see you guys beating out Chicago as "best in America" or something like that).

That's not a diss, folks. It's just the truth. It takes alot more than pride to make your city a World Class city.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 128,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Envy?
Dude, no one is hatin' on Omaha. And you could go on about how good of a city Omaha is. I could go on about how good my city is. But even you have to admit that when "world class city" comes to mind, it's a city that the WHOLE WORLD KNOWS.
NYC, Chicago, L.A., Houston, Vegas, Seattle, Miami, San Fran..... those cities come to mind.

Don't start gettin' defensive just becase I don't think Omaha is just the greatest town in the world. It's not like next year, Omaha will be more important than Chicago, then set its sites on New York the year after...... Omaha just doesn't have that much of an impact on this country.

And like I said, I understand. I love my city too much myself.... but I don't accuse someone of hatin' my town just because they say something I don't agree with.

.....seriously......
Yes, you could go on and on about how great Fort Worth is, but if the comparison were to a list of cities including Omaha, Nebraska, you would be a liar to call Fort Worth the best. This is a matter of fact.

Everyone on here knows where Omaha is and what the Big-O is all about. The results thus far of my poll support this assertion. And I know it is just anecdotal, but whenever I am abroad (out of the country, not a woman) I never need to explain where Omaha is. In fact, they usually ask me if Omaha is really as awesome as they imagine it to be from seeing travel brochures and reading some of the countless books dedicated the town and its rich history.

There is not a question of when Omaha will be. There is no “will be” when the city already is. If you were driving from Chicago to Denver and didn’t have a place as awesome as Omaha to visit along the way, you’d be staring at a lot of corn and not much else, buddy.

It seems to me that your city has an inferiority complex to the degree that they had to put the word “worth” in its name just to feel worthy. However, calling Omaha “Omaha Worth” would be a superfluous addition because it is intrinsic just how awesome Omaha is on its own.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM

396 posts, read 1,699,048 times
I'm sure it's a nice city, but it wouldn't make my list as a world class city. I'm glad so many people seem to love it though.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM

39 posts, read 128,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Guys.

Omaha has a convention center!

a CONVENTION CENTER!!!

You could actually have a whole convention in Omaha!!!!
Thank you for correcting a gross omission on my part!

See. Even guys from Jersey know about our world class convention center, the awesome Qwest Center. It is so versatile we can play basketball or even swim in it. It is so awesome, we can simultaneously have a concert AND a convention. It is that big.

Only a world class city would have something so world class.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
My question would be why would you want a status title for your city like that? It basically means which city is the most unmanageable, watered down, and eventually crime filled, and overpriced. There a few exceptions. The perks are of lesser value. Finding a great nightclub doesn't exactly tip the scales. Of course my main concern is schools at the moment for my girls. Bad influences are everywhere, but when you get in cosmopolitan areas there are a lot of things kids could do without ever seeing or knowing. Hence why suburbs are created. If everyone was forced to live right in a big city, way too many people would be loco and miserable. Low key can be just as nice as world class. Most places that rank up there in this and that, aren't places fit to live, but to travel too and only spend time there in increments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.