Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Omaha as a World Class City: How does it rank?
1st (There is no place like Nebraska and no city like Omaha... ANYWHERE) 40 31.75%
2nd (because Big-O mass transit is not the best and riding the bus is important) 5 3.97%
3rd (because Omaha has too many white people and whites are void of diversity) 4 3.17%
4th (because corn is lame and Omaha is close to corn) 9 7.14%
5th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Chicago) 4 3.17%
6th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Denver) 1 0.79%
7th (because Omaha is just a suburb of KC) 6 4.76%
8th (because Scranton is still a city and still rocks like nobody's business) 13 10.32%
9th (explain why) 1 0.79%
10th (explain why) 43 34.13%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,501 times

Advertisements

I love all of the folks taking this poll seriously. It never ceases to amaze me...

Listen, guys - when you're compiling a list of cities that other cities should emulate, it should begin and end with Omaha. Why is this even up for debate?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM

193 posts, read 656,704 times
Honestly, what's the point of this? I'm from Omaha and have been watching the rivalry between Omahans and Non-Omahans lately. People complain about Omaha citizens bragging about their city, and I see how it can be annoying. The posters getting annoyed about the Omaha bragging are justified.

With that being said, doing this isn't any better than what some Omaha posters are doing. This just fuels the fire and creates more posts that a lot of people hate (Pro-Omaha posts).

Just like some posters can't get off Omaha's jock, other posters stoop to their level and feed them.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Omaha's ok, I've been there several times but I would think that anyone who's trying to compare it to world class cities like Paris has probably not traveled very far.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post
Not world class? You must be joking. I am talking about Omaha, Nebraska not Omaha, Texas.

The tallest building between Denver and Minneapolis (nothing in Texas counts because it is too far south)?
Well how about Tulsa, Oklahoma - does that count? The BoK building in downtown Tulsa is taller than the tallest building in Omaha.

First National Bank Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BOK Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BOK Tower, formerly One Williams Center, is a skyscraper in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma. At 203 m (667 ft) in height, the 52-story tower is the tallest building in any of the five "Plains States": Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota, as well as the surrounding states of Missouri, Arkansas and New Mexico.[1] It was built in 1975 and designed by Minoru Yamasaki & Associates, the same architect who designed the World Trade Center in New York. This structure is very similar to the WTC towers in appearance and construction. BOK Tower's lobby has marble walls and wall hangings which have a noted similarity to the decor in the former WTC. The similarities between the BOK Tower and the World Trade Center Towers are based upon the building's history. The tower was built for the Williams Companies, at the time of its construction it the CEO of Williams (John Williams) was impressed by the Twin Towers in New York. His original idea was to build four a small-scale replicas of the towers in Tulsa. However, prior to the actual construction, he was informed of the inefficencies that would be created from having 25 story towers on the small foot prints he had in mind with the required elevators. The plan for a quarter scale replica was then changed to a single tower a quarter the foot print of a trade center tower but double the height of the four planned towers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/The_BOK_Building.jpg (broken link)

Look, I think Omaha is a WONDERFUL city, and I'd probably rather live there than almost any other place. I mean, Nebraska is a GREAT state. But the opening question about being "world class" in the traditional sense is kind of weird. Are you being sarcastic toward Omaha and Nebraska in general? I am asking this question seriously because if you're attempting to put the great state of Nebraska down, I'm not falling for it.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Well how about Tulsa, Oklahoma - does that count? The BoK building in downtown Tulsa is taller than the tallest building in Omaha.
Thats why I say between Chicago and Denver, and Minneapolis and Tulsa. Though, I think our tower looks better, it even won an award for the best new skyscraper of 2002. And it has two different looks to it.

This

and this

the side looks nice too

Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
World Class Cities List in no real order: (I left some out, but as you can see Omaha has some other cities ahead of it)

Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
Omaha
There ya go, fixed it for you!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post
Out of the top 10, I think Omaha would place 2nd or 3rd. London and maybe Paris might rank higher. Then again, if Omaha were as old and had the history of those cities, it wouldn't even be a question.

If you think Omaha would only place 10th, please explain why. Discuss.
Well, I think Tupelo, Mississippi, edges out Omaha, because of both the Elvis and Antique Car museums. However, I think Omaha is definitely neck and neck with Barcelona and Milan. And just makes Paris, London, and Sydney look like pig sties.

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Thats why I say between Chicago and Denver, and Minneapolis and Tulsa. Though, I think our tower looks better, it even won an award for the best new skyscraper of 2002. And it has two different looks to it.

This

and this

the side looks nice too

Without a doubt, it looks better. But that's not what this is about. It's about the tallest and claims as such, which I find kind of childish anyway.

My point is that Nebraska and Omaha in particular is a really, REALLY fine place to live and I think the OP is actually attacking Omaha rather than promoting the city.

BTW, when you consider the entire downtown of Tulsa rather than one building, it's rather stunning. Especially for a city of it's size.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Tulsa%2C_Oklahoma.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/19/Tulsa_skyline.JPG (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Tulsa_River_Skyline.jpg (broken link)

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Opps, you had a typo DC 38!!

Ill fix it for you

not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha
not Omaha

Omaha's a nice city, but not world class imho

Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Without a doubt, it looks better. But that's not what this is about. It's about the tallest and claims as such, which I find kind of childish anyway.

My point is that Nebraska and Omaha in particular is a really, REALLY fine place to live and I think the OP is actually attacking Omaha rather than promoting the city.
Ya I know what you meant, just had to post pictures.

He seems to be trying to start a new fire, but it doesn't seem to be working, seems more like people are just joking around with it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.