Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times

Advertisements

Want to see how your state ranks in terms of obesity?

here is a list just recently released.
FOXNews.com - How Fat Is Your State? Breakdown of State Obesity Percentages - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

keep in mind some states are tied with others.

what do you think of the report? And what could we do as a nation to help with this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Yep. Once again, Colorado and Connecticut are the leanest states. I'm surprised to see PA is so high on the lard laden side though.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
New York is higher because Buffalo, Rochester and the rest of upstate New York is sheltered half the year due to subzero temps. Buffalo is constantly used as an experiment for obesity in the US. NYC is fit, in fact my school (NYC suburb) is one of the most physically fit in the country. Look at New Jersey and Connecticut. Jersey is relatively low but still a little chubby while CT is lean. Jersey and Conn. lie around NYC, so the immediate suburbs of NYC in New York are obviously going to be even more fit due to the walking culture.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
I've always noticed a large percentage of fat women in Tennessee. Pretty much, though, there isn't that big of a difference between the states, other than Colorado having a lower percentage and Mississippi having the highest. Most fall within five percentage points.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Are you trying to say my toosh is fat? Huh? lol

Dang, TN is #3 and that ain't a good thing my friends.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Wow, Wisconsin is 27th place. I'm surprised I guess.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Wow, Wisconsin is 27th place. I'm surprised I guess.
in a good or bad way? jersey is 40th (taking into account multiple states with equal rates higher than NJ) and I'm surprised too, thought it would be higher.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yep. Once again, Colorado and Connecticut are the leanest states. I'm surprised to see PA is so high on the lard laden side though.
Really? I'm a very fit Pennsylvanian, and I'm having a very difficult time locating clothing that fits me. I'm in my early-20s, and I've been relegated to teenie-bopper stores like Armani Exchange, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, etc. because they're the only ones that seem to carry Extra-Small!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York is higher because Buffalo, Rochester and the rest of upstate New York is sheltered half the year due to subzero temps. Buffalo is constantly used as an experiment for obesity in the US. NYC is fit, in fact my school (NYC suburb) is one of the most physically fit in the country. Look at New Jersey and Connecticut. Jersey is relatively low but still a little chubby while CT is lean. Jersey and Conn. lie around NYC, so the immediate suburbs of NYC in New York are obviously going to be even more fit due to the walking culture.
You bring up an interesting point. The higher states tend to be those with an autocentric, suburbanized culture (TN, PA, etc.) I wonder if there is a correlation between having sidewalks, mixed-use zoning patterns, bike paths, etc. and the rate of obesity? I can tell you in my area that the only daredevils to bike/run along the four-lane commuter belt in front of my home are myself and one or two others with nerves of steel. I can't wait to move into the city, where people seem to be intelligent enough to install sidewalks in front of their homes.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 762,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You bring up an interesting point. The higher states tend to be those with an autocentric, suburbanized culture (TN, PA, etc.) I wonder if there is a correlation between having sidewalks, mixed-use zoning patterns, bike paths, etc. and the rate of obesity? I can tell you in my area that the only daredevils to bike/run along the four-lane commuter belt in front of my home are myself and one or two others with nerves of steel. I can't wait to move into the city, where people seem to be intelligent enough to install sidewalks in front of their homes.
I would bet that has a big influence. Where I am right now in NJ we have no sidewalks, but even if we did there is no where to walk to because we live too far from town. Thus we drive everywhere. My family and I are the only people that walk in our neighborhood, and we walk daily only because we have 2 hyper dogs. But we can only go about a mile because the main roads are too dangerous.

Where I've lived in PA (state college and Redding) there are sidewalks everywhere and I would walk a minimum 2 miles, but often 4-5 miles every day. If I burn 62 calories per mile, thats an extra 250 calorie difference from NJ. If I ate the same amount of food in NJ as I do in PA, I would gain an average of .5 lbs per week, or 2 lbs per month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.