Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM

351 posts, read 649,833 times

Advertisements

The midwest is certainly not Colorado or Oregon or New Hampshire or any other outdoorsy paradise--but it is filled with a lot of beautiful, lush, green areas to hike and admire the natural beauty. Which states in the midwest are best for that? Michigan? Minnesota?

How about Missouri and Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Ohio has a great state park system but since the US pop has doubled in my lifetime, I think there are too many people for even Colorado or Oregon to qualify as an "outdoorsy paradise".

Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Every single Midwestern state has lots of forested land, rivers, lakes, etc. My personal fave is Michigan's UP. Seems like the entire peninsula is forested, with deep woods, thundering waterfalls, small canyons, amazing rock formations, gorgeous hills/mountains, incredible lakefront, etc. Check out Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Isle Royale National Park, Lake in the Clouds, Oval Beach, Mackinac Island, Porcupine Mountains, the dozens of waterfalls (including Tahquahmenon Falls), etc.

Lower MI is also gorgeous, especially along the west coast... incredible beaches, towering sand dunes, dense woods, charming little villages, etc. Check out Petoskey, Charlevoix, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc.

Southern IL also has the Shawnee National Forest, complete with towering bluffs, neat rock formations, caves, dense woods, prairies, rivers, etc. Check out Garden of the Gods, Cave-In-Rock, Fults Hill Prairie, etc.

NW IL is also home to the same type of scenery, but in a cooler (literally) setting. Check out the Mississippi Palisades, Apple River Canyon, Galena, Fulton Sand Prairies, etc.

Central IL is mostly flat and cornfields, but some gems still do exist there. Check out Starved Rock State Park for deep canyons, neat sandstone formations, several waterfalls, etc. Nearby is Matthiessen State Park, which has the same features, but is far less crowded.

Indiana has several areas.... Indiana Dunes are nice and peaceful at times, Brown County is gorgeous with all the hills and dense woods, quaint towns, etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Well you can rule out KS, IA and NE. The Ozarks in Missouri have excellent hiking and canoing as does Arkansas. I thought MN was pretty lush but don't really know about hiking and such there.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well you can rule out KS, IA and NE. The Ozarks in Missouri have excellent hiking and canoing as does Arkansas. I thought MN was pretty lush but don't really know about hiking and such there.
VERY lush in most areas. Lots of hiking in summer, especially around the Lutsen Mountains, Sawtooth Mountains, along the shore, etc.

Lutsen Mountains area:
http://newsite.lavendermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/lutsen.jpg (broken link)

Sawtooth Mountains area:
//pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles26580.jpg

Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM

I agree with Brown County, Steve-O. There's some great biking down there, actually. What about western Michigan? The UP is STUNNING--but what about the rest of the state?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I agree with Brown County, Steve-O. There's some great biking down there, actually. What about western Michigan? The UP is STUNNING--but what about the rest of the state?
I mentioned that in my post.

"Lower MI is also gorgeous, especially along the west coast... incredible beaches, towering sand dunes, dense woods, charming little villages, etc. Check out Petoskey, Charlevoix, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc"

There are some forests in lower MI, but nothing like the Upper Peninsula. Western Michigan is more about the beach life, with the most miles of freshwater coastline, 3-400' sand dunes, awesome resort towns, etc. Warren Dunes and Sleeping Bear Dunes are a BLAST, Id love to live somewhere near there some day, but I doubt I will.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Missouri has the Ozarks, which are beautiful. Missouri has hiking, as well as plenty of lakes and creeks, and the two major rivers. Missouri is pretty diverse geographically.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
Wisconsin, Anyone?? Minocqua, WI was named a sportmans paradise by a magazine. If I remember it was Outdoor life. Wisconsin boast the Ice Age trail, over 15,000 lakes... Lots of forest land up north. Lots of recreational activities are available in our beautiful state.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Yeah I'm looking specifically for the woodsier places. The lakes and trails and stuff are great--but I'm just wondering where in the midwest it's really forest-y....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.