Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Austin is cool, but it's not the coolest/hippest town in America; not even close. Heck, with all the great music coming out of Minneapolis right now, I'd say it's cooler than Austin.
Some people don't believe this, but Minneapolis has been cool for a long damn time. If you follow the whole alt rock movement back to its "college rock" days, Minneapolis/St. Paul bands like Husker Du and The Replacements made BIG contributions.

Plus the city gave us Prince Rogers Nelson and all his whacked-out ways.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
I'm fairly new to the Minneapolis - St. Paul area. I knew about Prince and a couple other bands, but I had no idea how many bands/groups have come out of here. A city has to be cool and hip to influence so many artists.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Additionally, Minneapolis has a pretty robust hip hop scene. Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Eyedea and Abilities to name a few.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You can't compare Houston and Dallas with Austin - two different places.
I 100% agree.
Austin has a great music scene as well. It is dubbed the live music capital of the world and it has a growing hip hop scene and it's not like the rest of the south. They don't talk about cars, lean, money, women, none of that. Many of you would be pretty amazed at the talent that is down there.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,373 times
Default yAwn-stin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I 100% agree.
Austin has a great music scene as well. It is dubbed the live music capital of the world and it has a growing hip hop scene and it's not like the rest of the south. They don't talk about cars, lean, money, women, none of that. Many of you would be pretty amazed at the talent that is down there.

The town of Austin is not even in the same category as big cities like Houston or Dallas. It's overrated and culturally bland, sorry. I am sure nobody in Yawn-stin talks about cars, women or money, what a moronic statement. Talent, ha!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
I'm assuming most know about the live music scene in Austin (SXSW, Austin City Limits, all the venues, etc...). Also, I don't think anyone is doubting the talent that is in Austin. I have seen several Austin bands here in Minneapolis such as White Denim, Ghostland Observatory, and most recently, the Black Angels. All I'm saying is that based on my experiences, Austin isn't the coolest/hippest city in the country.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM

This is funny. Austin and LA are the most overrated cities in the United States.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 AM
dwk

18 posts, read 37,468 times
I had no idea Austin (or any place in TX for that matter) had a 'cool' image. I always assumed that was neighborhoods like The Mission, The LES or Williamsburg.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,318 times
Coolest/Hippest town in America? No. I find it ironic however that someone from Texas came up with the thread.
Anyways, I dont see why people are comparing Houston and Dallas to Austin though. Well Dallas may be comparable, but I think Austin's entertainment scene has it better than Dallas. Whereas Houston's nightlife is dead. I dont think yall know how dead it is. Catch downtown Houston on a night where the Rockets/Astros are not playing and you'll see what Im talking about. The night nightlife is spread all over. There just isnt an area in downtown Houston that brings people in. Austin has the sixth street area, Dallas has the westend area, even San Antonio has the River Walk but Houston doesn't have an area.

As for the OP... I have never seen anything that makes Austin thee coolest/hippest town in America. Tows such as San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans (though I went to NO pre-katrina) are very comparable if not better. I would say its Tier 1 though.

Last edited by wesside; 11-25-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Coolest/Hippest town in America? No. I find it ironic however that someone from Texas came up with the thread.
Anyways, I dont see why people are comparing Houston and Dallas to Austin though. Well Dallas may be comparable, but I think Austin's entertainment scene has it better than Dallas. Whereas Houston's nightlife is dead. I dont think yall know how dead it is. Catch downtown Houston on a night where the Rockets/Astros are not playing and you'll see what Im talking about. The night nightlife is spread all over. There just isnt an area in downtown Houston that brings people in. Austin has the sixth street area, Dallas has the westend area, even San Antonio has the River Walk but Houston doesn't have an area.

As for the OP... I have never seen anything that makes Austin thee coolest/hippest town in America. Tows such as San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans (though I went to NO pre-katrina) are very comparable if not better. I would say its Tier 1 though.
Houston's downtown is the CBD and nothing more. NYC's financial district is not a bastion of nightlife either and everyone knows that. Houston's nightlife is concentrated in Midtown, Uptown and Rice Village. Midtown and Rice Village are extremely walkable and ideal for barhopping. Austin has sixth street and nothing more. It should be compared to Ann Arbor, Nashville or Columbus. Dallas' downtown is even more dead than Houston's, but again it is their CBD, not their entertainment district. Austin is just plain boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.