Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most spread-out major city in the US
Atlanta, Georgia 44 25.73%
Houston, Texas 59 34.50%
Charlotte, North Carolina 9 5.26%
Jacksonville, Florida 36 21.05%
Nashville, Tennessee 6 3.51%
San Antonio, Texas 6 3.51%
Dallas, Texas 28 16.37%
Indianapolis, Indiana 3 1.75%
Louisville, Kentucky 2 1.17%
Columbus, Ohio 1 0.58%
Phoenix, Arizona 42 24.56%
Other 20 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN77 View Post
No, the Boston Urban Area DOES NOT sprawl. You are avoiding facts. The city, urban area, MSA and CSA DO NOT SPRAWL.

The MSA and CSA are more accurate.
There is no sense in arguing with you. I get the feeling you have no idea what the definition of urban sprawl is.

For your reading pleasure:

Which has the worst per capita sprawl problem: Atlanta, Boston, or Los Angeles? | Communities | New England | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/NE/communities/sprawl.html - broken link)

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 13,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think your even sure what the argument is. Compare suburban Boston to suburbs of Houston or Dallas and tell me which one sprawls more.
I am talking about MSA and CSA. Therefore, I am speaking ONLY on the MSA and CSA.

The Boston metro area in the MSA and CSA are not sprawled whatsoever. As I stated previously........ it's one of the top 7 densest metro areas in the U.S.

Also, this is coming from someone who is NOT form Boston and who does not love it. I just quote people (another user) who makes stupid claims about metro areas being sprawled when they clearly are not.

Boston was not a option in the poll for a reason.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
I am talking about MSA and CSA. Therefore, I am speaking ONLY on the MSA and CSA.

The Boston metro area in the MSA and CSA are not sprawled whatsoever. As I stated previously........ it's one of the top 7 densest metro areas in the U.S.

Also, this is coming from someone who is NOT form Boston and who does not love it. I just quote people (another user) who makes stupid claims about metro areas being sprawled when they clearly are not.

Wrong.

Boston has many, many suburbs with minimum 1 acre lot residential zoning. You will rarely, if ever, find that in the sunbelt suburbs unless it's in a small, very upscale enclave.

You guys do a fantastic job of keeping this dirty little secret hidden.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong.

Boston has many, many suburbs with minimum 1 acre lot residential zoning. You will rarely, if ever, find that in the sunbelt suburbs unless it's in a small, very upscale enclave.

You guys do a fantastic job of keeping this dirty little secret hidden.
But, overall as a WHOLE...... The MSA and CSA is not sprawled.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:

No, Boston was not an option in the poll; however someone asked a specific question regarding Boston and San Antonio, and I was responding to them when you decided to chime in with your debate. Sprawl is sprawl. You have to look at the Urban Areas to get a fair comparison.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
No, Boston was not an option in the poll; however someone asked a specific question regarding Boston and San Antonio, and I was responding to them when you decided to chime in with your debate. Sprawl is sprawl. You have to look at the Urban Areas to get a fair comparison.
But, the Boston metro area is not sprawled. Like I said, only 6 other metro areas are as dense or denser than Boston.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
But, the Boston metro area is not sprawled. Like I said, only 6 other metro areas are as dense or denser than Boston.
MOST metro areas don't have the population concentrations of Boston at it's core, but it most certainly does sprawl - right up with the best of them.

I have seen it multiple times with my own eyes.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
MOST metro areas don't have the population concentrations of Boston at it's core, but it most certainly does sprawl - right up with the best of them.

I have seen it multiple times with my own eyes.
Boston MSA population is 4,522,858

Boston MSA is 4,674 sq. mi with a density of 947/sq. mi

Atlanta MSA population is 5,500,000

Atlanta MSA is 8,376 sq mi with a density of 630/sq mi

Your eyes might want to take a closer look at the facts. Atlanta metro is almost twice the size of Boston and only has a million more people.

As stated previously, only 6 other metro areas are as dense or denser than Boston in the U.S.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Boston MSA population is 4,522,858

Boston MSA is 4,674 sq. mi with a density of 947/sq. mi

Atlanta MSA population is 5,500,000

Atlanta MSA is 8,376 sq mi with a density of 630/sq mi

Your eyes might want to take a closer look at the facts. Atlanta metro is almost twice the size of Boston and only has a million more people.

As stated previously, only 6 other metro areas are as dense or denser than Boston in the U.S.

You should have also bolded the land area as well. Atlanta MSA is like 2 times bigger than the Boston MSA. Lots of that land is undeveloped.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You should have also bolded the land area as well. Atlanta MSA is like 2 times bigger than the Boston MSA. Lots of that land is undeveloped.
Very true. However, the MSA is constructed by commute patterns.

Atlanta was developed around the car culture while Boston has had a well established transit system in place for many years. So, people from Atlanta commute from farther distances becuase they drive in, which is why they are included. A large majority of people from those towns work in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.