Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,585 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

We (myself, my wife and three children 8-13yrs) need to move from the UK to the US in the next 4 weeks, our (small) tech business is growing and needs to be stateside now. We haven't got time to apply for any visas (at this stage) and can't afford to stay in the UK until granted.

We need some pointers about the schooling system in each state, we are all non-religious and we can't afford to send the children to private schools so are looking for half-decent state schools. But the biggest issue is can we send them to a school whilst we might be technical illegals (we will have and reset the standard 3 month visas) and which states are the most likely to allow this? We've read various laws regarding the right to education for illegals, but this seems to be in various states-of-repeal/enforcement... and what information do we have to provide to the local school boards?

We will rent a house and pay any property taxes due and the business will be paying tax also.

We still can't decide on a state, and it looks like the schooling might be the clincher. Our short-list is:

Austin, TX
Las Vegas or Reno, NV
Portland or Bend, OR
Connecticut
RTP area or Asheville, NC
Boulder/Fort Collins/Springs), CO
SF or inland, CA (least fav. due to high cost of living & tax)

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long-winded nature of my questions - this forum has been a great help during research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
There are plenty of illegals at my school, so maybe it's pretty easy in Texas?
I don't believe residency needs to be proven when enrolling somebody.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks Indigo - when does the school year start in Austin?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
Tomorrow. =x

Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks again Indigo. Anyone with any experience of other states?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times
Broward School district toughens enrollment rules - [domain blocked due to spam]

Many schools have problem with people from outside the designated neighborhood enrolling their kids in "popular schools" and cracking down.

From what I read, verification is required when kids go from Elem to Middle to high, and if the parents are caught using a false address to enroll them to a favorable school, the kids will be plucked out, moved to the proper school.

Due to these issues, I think more and more are requiring proof of residency.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 PM

thanks TechmanOR,

would a lease-agreement, proof of tax payments or similar count as proof of residency?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
We already have enough illegal immigrants that are taxing our social services to the limits. Please use the appropriate legal channels before coming to our country to live and work.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks WILWRadio for your input..

I'm not actually suggesting we do anything 'illegal' or sneak-under-the-fence, it's just going to take too long at the moment to obtain permanent residency for our business at this time. We (perfectly legally) have a US Inc. and bank accounts and are planning on on resetting our visas every three months with a trip outside the US (I currently fly between US<>UK every 6-8 weeks). In-fact one of the reasons to move to the US is to set up a permantly manned office and employ US citizens...

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
K90

17 posts, read 65,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescatek View Post
Thanks WILWRadio for your input..

I'm not actually suggesting we do anything 'illegal' or sneak-under-the-fence, it's just going to take too long at the moment to obtain permanent residency for our business at this time. We (perfectly legally) have a US Inc. and bank accounts and are planning on on resetting our visas every three months with a trip outside the US (I currently fly between US<>UK every 6-8 weeks). In-fact one of the reasons to move to the US is to set up a permantly manned office and employ US citizens...
That's a shame. I was going to suggest you enter from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.