Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

For your age and criteria, I suggest a 'bohemian' section of Seattle, (If you can afford it and find pharma job + No state income tax). Being on the water and in the center of PNW recreation it is very interesting and vibrant. The SEA residents are a bit younger and more adventuresome than Portland (which is more Granola type, but still nice, and cheaper than SEA, but wages lower too + 9% state income tax)

At your age... I would do Seattle for a few yrs, then Portland if you like the PNW. or, off to Boulder, CO, maybe Madison, WI and Boston or Baltimore (my preference) area for a few yrs. Have many adventures, meet unique people, and see lots.

I do like the ethnic and cultural diversity of the west coast, as it leads to some interesting relationships and opportunities to integrate into a 'non-homogeneous' group. The weather is pretty mild, but you will have to deal with rain / gray in Seattle. It is very cheap to fly to SF, Las Vegas, or Phoenix to get winter sunshine once in a while. Summers are great in PNW, very cool nights for sleeping... no AC required.

After some work experience, I would get an international gig if possible, as that is quite interesting too.

good luck, and have fun (and get out of 'midwest' for a spell, you may come back, but at least you will have tried something different for awhile).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Baltimore is a real nice city, many + & -. The proximity to other cities like DC also give you plenty of nice options.

Portland (Assuming were talking OR not ME) Is a very liberal city, however living in the PNW is also quite a plus. The nearby recreation would allow much entertainment. I found there downtown to be artsy when I went, and I found it fascinating that there were all those hills within the city.

Houston Big Financial town, and easy acsess to the beach is a plus. The downtown looks nice, based on some pics I have seen.

Boston Very friendly, so ive heard. The downtown is very nice looking and the rest of the city seems to have its rough spots like all cities on your list.

Phoenix/Tucson The Arizona cities, Phoenix is suburb like as mentioned above and Tucson seems like it would be more of a liberal city but not much else there.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneventor View Post
jesse, you are AWESOME! this is exactly the type of response i was looking for. thanks for taking everything i said into consideration... very helpful. the only thing i didn't completely understand is what you said about no urban living in phoenix? what do they have in their downtown?
They have a downtown, but it's quite small compared to other cities on your list and doesn't provide the same "WOW" factor as other urban cities.

Quote:
and i like the idea of baltimore, but the first thing everyone mentions is the crime, which i know from living in cinci can be blown out of proportion, but even official statistics put it at top 5 worst. i need to look more into this...
Never been there, but it can't be that bad. I'm sure just like every city, there are nice, urban, upscale places that are still close to rundown, poor, unsafe, urban areas. If you are really interested in Baltimore, do a little more research and find out what the nice, urban areas are as I can't help you there.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Dodge City, KS or Fort Dodge, IA would be the best "dodges". But if you have to choose a city from the list then I'd have to say Bawston or Seattle.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 10,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
i am looking for a rather large city (~500,000 +/- is ideal but NOT nyc, la, or chicago).----Baltimore! i am thinking a high or mid rise in the city, or a brownstone/rowhouse.-----Baltimore! i want a vibrant hip city (i suppose the word is bohemian).-----Baltimore! socially and politically on the liberal side.------Baltimore! festivals, music, concerts, sporting events.------Baltimore! friendly and socialable young professionals, not necessarily the "go-getter workaholic types" though (i.e. washington dc, no offense).-----Baltimore! any type of weather would be fine, but i prefer to stay away from extremes, like hurricanes------Baltimore! heat with humidity-----NOT Baltimore! or freezing blizzards.------Baltimore! a safe and clean down town with safe and clean public transit.-----Baltimore! the more cities and places i can get to by car would be a plus.-----Baltimore! i would like to be able to stock some money away so the higher cost of living cities are not my best option right now------Baltimore! (thus why san fran is not on the list). basically, i want san fran, without the high COL. i know there is NO city that has all of this, but the more the merrier

From much of what you said, Baltimore fits the bill along with Philadelphia. I love Boston but remember, it is very expensive. The other places you mentioned are cool but don't have the variety of rows like Baltimore or Philly.
jonjj, so i should go to baltimore??? HAHA. thanks for the reponse. it sounds like i am either going to be on the west coast or east coast... eenie meenie miney moe...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,337 times
And to think I was getting excited to talk about trucks....

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 10,780 times
i'm pretty excited. i have been researching and reading more posts (thanks everyone!) and i have split the list in half...

phoenix
philadelphia
dallas
austin
baltimore
charleston
seattle
atlanta

Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
i'm pretty excited. i have been researching and reading more posts (thanks everyone!) and i have split the list in half...

phoenix
philadelphia
dallas
austin
baltimore
charleston
seattle
atlanta
  1. baltimore
  2. seattle
  3. philly
  4. charleston
  5. atlanta
  6. austin
  7. dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.