Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,943 times

Advertisements

Sunbelt suburbs. Suburban developers care little about sustainability.

Strip malls start to become run down after 10 years, whereas new urbanist architecture will be sustainable for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Phoenix by far! It has become grossly overpopulated, overbuilt and too much traffic congestion for its small economy and the few jobs available. It is the single most worthless city in the nation. I agree with whoever said that. There is almost no industry to speak of, and 90% of all jobs are like only minimum wage. Nothing but trailer parks, golf courses (go figure), strip malls and Walmart everywhere, that cater to the $1-everything crowd. And if you look around for just a bit, you will see why. At least people are finally begining to leave this overbuilt, overpopulated, congested mess! Yippee! Its the ugliest, worst place I've ever lived anyway.
What makes Phoenix worse than the second-worst metro?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"No zoning", wide concrete roads, and the flat topography contributes to some of houston's tackiness.
There are a lot of master-planned communities in the Houston metro. I think more than almost any other metro. Many Houstonians (who live in the city) complain that these are too planned/zoned looking and "boring."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
versus atlanta whose sprawl is hidden by forests...
Sounds like The Woodlands north of Houston, and a lot of other "sprawl" on the north side of Houston...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
I believe my hometown of Jacksonville,Fla. with all of its strip malls and storage units.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in a suburb that has code police. Zoning is fine, but the code nazis that dictate everything that everyone in the neighborhood should abide by is just ridiculous. I prefer the live free or die method and don't question what is on my neighbors property unless it poses a direct threat to my safety.
I used to think the same way.

But I enjoy driving through neighborhoods without having to view the detritus of the bubba lifestyle (chain-link fences, big ol' dogs tethered to big chains staked int the front yard and yard cars (Remember, I live in Missouri).

You really don't see the code enforcement people since the area is pretty code at self-policing.

Just drive around the adjacent communities in Saint Charles County (O'Fallon, St. Peters and Saint Charles) and and you can just see the redneck version of curb appeal in every adjoining community - except the subdivisions with HOA and CA codes.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

50 posts, read 188,420 times
Myrtle Beach, FL -- sad to see such a beautiful setting on the beach be trashed so badly by sprawl and schlock.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Phoenix by far! It has also become grossly overpopulated, overbuilt and too much traffic congestion for its small economy and the few jobs available. At least people are finally begining to leave. Yippee!

Quote:
Phoenix by far! It has become grossly overpopulated, overbuilt and too much traffic congestion for its small economy and the few jobs available. It is the single most worthless city in the nation. I agree with whoever said that. There is almost no industry to speak of, and 90% of all jobs are like only minimum wage. Nothing but trailer parks, golf courses (go figure), strip malls and Walmart everywhere, that cater to the $1-everything crowd. And if you look around for just a bit, you will see why. At least people are finally begining to leave this overbuilt, overpopulated, congested mess! Yippee! Its the ugliest, worst place I've ever lived anyway.
Is there a spam button please???

I don't even know where to begin with all of these sweeping generalizations. Why do you feel the need to spread your hate on for Phoenix to just about any or every thread?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,151,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYDC View Post
Myrtle Beach, FL -- sad to see such a beautiful setting on the beach be trashed so badly by sprawl and schlock.
Myrtle Beach SC?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Any city in Texas. The commerical development along the access roads can be a bit too much.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
The scary thing thing is that when I was visiting my sister near Albany NY, the commercial develpmet along the interstates and spur roads looked exactly the same as that in Suburban St. Louis and St. Charles Counties in Missouri. Same Hotels, Same Big Box Stores, Same Franchise Beaneries. Even worse: same crappy radio programming.

You literally could not tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.