Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times

Advertisements

Little boxes on the hillside
And they're all made of ticky-tacky
And they're all made of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

Pete Seeger sang those words about 45 years ago. The debate is hardly new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
Did you lose the ability to read? The first word in my short post should give you an idea of what I am speaking of -- this huge sprawling piece of crap Phoenix. Pfft, like there is a difference between crappy Phoenix and crappy Chandler. End note: learn to read.
You need to check your effing attitude first and foremost. Secondly, you make up a piece of that "sprawling piece of crap Phoenix" as you so like to put it. End note: read between the lines.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:38 AM

50 posts, read 188,433 times
Orlando...if it isn't fake (read: Disney), its disgusting.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Saint Louis and its western burbs along I-70 is horrible. House converted to business establishments, Cheap and dilapidated strip malls, horrible signage)

The Older parts of North and Central Orange County, CA are also pretty bad.

Once of the biggest problems of ugliness I notice is when residents are allowed to put up chain link fence to divide properties.

Another problem is when homeowners make modifications to developer or city built walls/fences (sound or dividing). This is a big problem in Orange County, and I have noticed across the country.

I now live in a community that has strict architectural/code guidelines. Only certain colors can be used on home exteriors. No fences between properties. You need permission to cut down large trees, No cheap tin sheds. Trash cans must be brought in by the end of trash day. Rules that most people can live by.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Jacksonville, West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale.

...Did I mention Jacksonville?
Fort Lauderdale? Hardly..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/...fa1da9293c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3609/...431eba1004.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/...eae5ab04cb.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/...874ebc490f.jpg

Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times
Phoenix by far! It has also become grossly overpopulated, overbuilt and too much traffic congestion for its small economy and the few jobs available. At least people are finally begining to leave. Yippee!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:28 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times
Phoenix by far! It has become grossly overpopulated, overbuilt and too much traffic congestion for its small economy and the few jobs available. It is the single most worthless city in the nation. I agree with whoever said that. There is almost no industry to speak of, and 90% of all jobs are like only minimum wage. Nothing but trailer parks, golf courses (go figure), strip malls and Walmart everywhere, that cater to the $1-everything crowd. And if you look around for just a bit, you will see why. At least people are finally begining to leave this overbuilt, overpopulated, congested mess! Yippee! Its the ugliest, worst place I've ever lived anyway.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Saint Louis and its western burbs along I-70 is horrible. House converted to business establishments, Cheap and dilapidated strip malls, horrible signage)

The Older parts of North and Central Orange County, CA are also pretty bad.

Once of the biggest problems of ugliness I notice is when residents are allowed to put up chain link fence to divide properties.

Another problem is when homeowners make modifications to developer or city built walls/fences (sound or dividing). This is a big problem in Orange County, and I have noticed across the country.

I now live in a community that has strict architectural/code guidelines. Only certain colors can be used on home exteriors. No fences between properties. You need permission to cut down large trees, No cheap tin sheds. Trash cans must be brought in by the end of trash day. Rules that most people can live by.
You couldn't pay me to live in a suburb that has code police. Zoning is fine, but the code nazis that dictate everything that everyone in the neighborhood should abide by is just ridiculous. I prefer the live free or die method and don't question what is on my neighbors property unless it poses a direct threat to my safety.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
every city has it's ticky tacky areas, especially in the suburbs...

Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM

12 posts, read 19,925 times
There has been almost no thought given to suburban planning. Perhaps this is because the academic class hates suburbs. But I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done. You will first have to find some design professionals who actually like suburbs and the things and people in them. Then there is the problem that common people have common tastes. Things looked better when only the rich built homes in rural areas. Well, the old Yankee rural folk actually did have pretty good taste too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.