Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most Dissapointing?
New York City 32 18.39%
Los Angeles 24 13.79%
Chicago 25 14.37%
Houston 41 23.56%
Phoenix 33 18.97%
Philadelphia 20 11.49%
Denver 7 4.02%
San Diego 31 17.82%
Dallas 16 9.20%
Atlanta 17 9.77%
Detroit 37 21.26%
New Orleans 4 2.30%
San Francisco 9 5.17%
Las Vegas 13 7.47%
Memphis 16 9.20%
Nashville 8 4.60%
pittsburgh 9 5.17%
Miami 35 20.11%
Seattle 11 6.32%
other... 23 13.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Thanks.

I'll stand by my post.

You're welcome to. I stand by mine.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Let's put this thread into perspective. As I understand, this thread is not to say which one is "better." It's about what your expectations are and how the city matches up to them in reality. Point is, if your expectations are too high and the city doesn't meet them, you might be dissappointed. Everyone's expectations are different. People usually have low expectations of cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston and usually find out it's not as bad they originally thought.
Exactly. When we decided to move to Houston for my husband's job, I agreed to move here even though I had spent only one afternoon here almost a decade ago for a conference. I knew nothing about Houston other than the horrible press it gets. So my expectations were seriously low. And then we moved here and we love it! Houston and Houston's suburbs have lots to offer.

I agree with you that people are more likely to be disappointed by cities that get so many rave reviews: San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, etc. Because the gap between optimistic expectations and reality can be quite large with those cities.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:41 PM

28 posts, read 85,137 times
I chose Detroit because the city has really changed.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Bills, let us all know when you and your countrymen start brushing your teeth on a consistent schedule. I found London to be gray, confusing and crampt. This is of American cities though so, because of its pathetic state of discipline concerning its stock market and financial institutions, new york takes the vote for disappointment. Not getting off this particular hook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
We all brush our teeth twice daily, we would just prefer to spend our money on other things, and to have a unique set of teeth for identification if we die horribly. All the Americans with teeth out of the same box in Beverly Hills will be buried with this on their gravestone:

Here lies _________. (Unidentifiable)
He/She Died...
And we couldn't Iden-ti-fy...
Them.
OMG, you guys are hilarious!! LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 PM

217 posts, read 292,234 times
How is Los Angeles disappointing, I think people just voted for L.A. for no reason at all, but just because there either jealous our a troll that made multiple accounts.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
How is Los Angeles disappointing, I think people just voted for L.A. for no reason at all, but just because there either jealous our a troll that made multiple accounts.
I can answer that! You expect a lot from a city you see and hear about constantly on TV, movies, magazines, music... I think L.A. only lives up to the hype depending on your tour guide, or if you have an extended stay. If you only have a couple days in the city, it can be disappointing. After visiting Hollywood, a beach, and a couple other touristy spots, the uneasy feeling, "Is this it?" starts to creep up. At least that's how it was for me. That said, I think living there is probably great, if you can afford it.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I can answer that! You expect a lot from a city you see and hear about constantly on TV, movies, magazines, music... I think L.A. only lives up to the hype depending on your tour guide, or if you have an extended stay. If you only have a couple days in the city, it can be disappointing. After visiting Hollywood, a beach, and a couple other touristy spots, the uneasy feeling, "Is this it?" starts to creep up. At least that's how it was for me. That said, I think living there is probably great, if you can afford it.

are you just saying this? or did you really visit L.A.? Some people have a tendency to act like they been some where when they haven't and just because you see pictures on the INTERNET and etc doesn't mean that necessarily portrays the city.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

also is this the same for Chicago and New York than as well. I just don't think it's fair how L.A. gets bashed for it's tourist areas when tourist areas in other places aren't that great either e.g. Chicago besides the sears tower what else is there? The same for Houston do they even have any tourist areas? And lets not forget Seattle, after you go to the space needle the rest is like, whatever! So I just don't get why L.A. has to be down graded all the time when people probably never even experienced it in the first place IMO.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
are you just saying this? or did you really visit L.A.? Some people have a tendency to act like they been some where when they haven't and just because you see pictures on the INTERNET and etc doesn't mean that necessarily portrays the city.
Uh, yeah, I really visited. That's why I said "at least that's how it was for me."

Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
also is this the same for Chicago and New York than as well. I just don't think it's fair how L.A. gets bashed for it's tourist areas when tourist areas in other places aren't that great either e.g. Chicago besides the sears tower what else is there? The same for Houston do they even have any tourist areas? And lets not forget Seattle, after you go to the space needle the rest is like, whatever! So I just don't get why L.A. has to be down graded all the time when people probably never even experienced it in the first place IMO.
Whoa, Nelly! No need to get your panties in a bunch. I didn't bash the city. I didn't even vote! I was just offering my perspective on why L.A. may be disappointing to some people, based on my own experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.