Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,999 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering why so much demand for expensive cities. I can understand why the wealthy would, but I know lots of middle-of the road people and alot of college students talk about moving to very expensive cities also.

I can understand why somebody would move to an expensive city for a good paying job or if a promotion required it.

But the thing I dont get is people who are fairly poor, dont have skills or the job to move to bigger cities they cant afford.

I look at it as somebody of modest means, that some cities like NYC, San Francisco and Miami are reserved for the rich only and I respect that. That is why I wouldnt live in these places, I personally dont see why people of modest means who cant afford these cities would want to move to them.

Whats wrong and Why not much demand for people to settle in cheaper cities like Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Columbus, Ohio where rents are much lower and people can actually have enough left over after rent to enjoy the amenities albeit more limited then the expensive, huge cities have to offer.

Whats the advantage of moving to an expensive city if it doesnt have to do with financial reasons such as a job. Alot of people seem to be willing be pay lots of money just to have more entertainment and better food even though they are paying a majority of their income on in apartment.

I understand these high-class, wealthy metropolitan areas like NYC and San Francisco, Boston have the most oppurtunity for some occupation areas but some people tend to move to these places even they are of modest means just so they can pay 50% of their income in rent and not afford any restaurants, entertainment on the side.

Last edited by MattDen; 02-25-2007 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 03:27 PM

484 posts, read 1,945,179 times
In a word, jobs. I grew up in a decaying mill town an hour from Boston. Housing is much cheaper out there, but there are no jobs. The commute is 2 hours each way (by train), and a zone 8 commuter rail pass is $250 a month. If you add the commute time to my work schedule, I would make about $6 an hour.

When you live in an expensive city, you can save money by using public transit, finding free entertainment, got to free clinics, and other ways, as long as you have a job.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 02-25-2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Jobs (as Hatless said), weather (see: virtually all of California), and entertainment. A lot of college grads and twentysomethings are ready for the "work hard, play hard" lifestyle and are willing to double and triple up as roommate to experience all that those types of cities have to offer. Heck, I'm thirtysomething and I moved to the DC area for two out of the three reasons. (I'm not really feeling this snow. )

Old 02-25-2007, 06:19 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,857,658 times
It seems to me that many of the expensive cities have mostly a rich and poor mix. The middle class moved out to less expensive cities.
Yes many cities in California are a good example.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509
Jobs (as Hatless said), weather (see: virtually all of California), and entertainment. A lot of college grads and twentysomethings are ready for the "work hard, play hard" lifestyle and are willing to double and triple up as roommate to experience all that those types of cities have to offer. Heck, I'm thirtysomething and I moved to the DC area for two out of the three reasons. (I'm not really feeling this snow. )
I agree. It's about the opportunities that these cities afford, and many people, myself included, are willing to compromise on other issues such as living space and see it as a trade off for all the professional, cultural and social opportunities that many of these cities provide.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,090,694 times
What im thinking is those people of modest income want to experience "fun" while they are still young. They know they will have to relocate to a cheap city in order to marry, settle down and have kids. But "party" is whats going on in a 21 year old's mind and he or she isnt worried about much else except to work and spend it all on rent and "fun" They dont think much about the future till they are like 25-27 then realise its time to get serious and start saving up. They also get tired of the "party" scene as they have outgrown that and want a different type of life. I was never a party guy and at 25, I just want a quiet easygoing life this is why I wanna get a big house for $50k in a cheap, safe town/small city. Jobs dont matter, I will make more being self employed.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
It seems like they should just leave the expensive cities and all go to cheaper ones. They will have nore fun with people their own age, and can create their own businesses and jobs. That's something the gay guys always semed to do, find the cheaper, run down parts of cities and turn them into parties filled with drugs. Eventually values go up and it's gentrified. (South beach, Wilton Manors, Key West) Now that all cities are grossly overpriced and businesses are cutting back, economic collapse is the only hope. I would never locate my company in an expensive city when today we have the Internet and globalization means that anyplace with space and resources competes on an equal level. Why locate your business in New York or California when Texas or Alabama would be better. Too bad so many ypung people just want to follow the crowd and get nowhere.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It seems like they should just leave the expensive cities and all go to cheaper ones. They will have nore fun with people their own age, and can create their own businesses and jobs. That's something the gay guys always semed to do, find the cheaper, run down parts of cities and turn them into parties filled with drugs. Eventually values go up and it's gentrified. (South beach, Wilton Manors, Key West) Now that all cities are grossly overpriced and businesses are cutting back, economic collapse is the only hope. I would never locate my company in an expensive city when today we have the Internet and globalization means that anyplace with space and resources competes on an equal level. Why locate your business in New York or California when Texas or Alabama would be better. Too bad so many ypung people just want to follow the crowd and get nowhere.
Is there anywhere in Texas or Alabama that one could get along without a car as much as NYC or SF? Other than Austin is there any city in Texas or Alabama which offers as much to do as those cities? The attractions of NYC and SF offer their own advantage. OTOH, if LA doesn't get its priorities straight in the next few years it could suffer a very bleak future (note that while NY and SF are keeping high paying jobs, LA is losing them)

Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
It is my experience that the 'expensive' cities are the cities with thriving arts and cultural scenes (theater, fine art, culinary, independent film, etc) and for those of us who find enjoyment out of such things and/or have made them part of our livelihood, it is a huge draw indeed. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
It is my experience that the 'expensive' cities are the cities with thriving arts and cultural scenes (theater, fine art, culinary, independent film, etc) and for those of us who find enjoyment out of such things and/or have made them part of our livelihood, it is a huge draw indeed. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Technology will even the playing field. To some city life is like living in prison, so you slave just to feed the establishment. If the expenses of being in a city are low with respect to pay, it can be fun. But for those who crave independance the city is just way too restrictive. The good thing is that city life keeps people more active than suburban living. Also in times of high gas prices the city dweller does save some cash. As for me I would rather make my way in a less populated area and help build a business climate that increases incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.