Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I can promise you the poverty rate here has dropped drastically. There is more gentrification going on here than in any other City at the moment. We have demolished almost all of our Housing Projects, and are now considered a National Model for new mixed-income neighborhoods that have replaced them. Over 100,000 people have moved into the City Limits in the past 8 years. The very wealthy have never left the City, they are still here. Our major upscale shopping is done within the City Limits, not King of Prussia. You have no idea at all what you are talking about in regards to Philadelphia vs. Atlanta.
Come on now. Don't start making big claims like rainrocks. There is definitely a ton of gentrification in Atlanta, but who is to say that it's more than any other city in America at the moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
If you don't want to hear the truth about Philadelphia I suggest you refrain from coming into an Atlanta thread to brag about how Philly is so far superior to Atlanta. We are only hospitable to an extent and have no problem putting loud-mouth, insecure bashers where they belong.

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. Deal with it. Atlanta is nowhere near the low-level of Philadelphia...it's completely obvious.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Don't act like Philly is heaven though. My neighbors just came back from Philly and they could not go outside by themselves without walking with their grandparents or cousins who lived in that neighborhood.
I never tryed to paint Philadlephia as heaven. I tryed defending it by a few people who are disillusioned about its overall condition, theres a difference.There certainly are areas of the city that defy comprehension.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Philly is definitely apart of the thread. It's one of the poll options.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
Let me take a stab at this real quick. Houston does not have a hurricane problem. Before Ike this year, Alicia was the last hurricane to hit Houston, and that was in 1983 (though we had a tropical storm in 2001).

I don't see how NASA is declining first of all. And about Enron, yeah, it went bankrupt, but it didn't make Houston's economy fall. It was like a small blimp on the radar really. That vacant building Enron left was gobbled up quick by Chevron. Also, for the past two years, Houston has had the nation's highest job growth (in raw numbers). So, saying Houston's economy is not as strong as it was in the beginning of the decade isn't true at all.

Houston's oil and gas industry (only a part of the overall ENERGY industry) has been dropping in Houston's overall economy. From over 80% in the 80s (when Houston boomed to most under a President not from Texas), to just 45% now, and dropping every year. Medical, aerospace, tourism (yes tourism), a fast-growing IT industry, etc., are taking its place. Hell, the southern suburb of Pearland is poised to be the "Nano-technology Capitol of the World" with a HUGE development taking place there now. It, along with Rice University and the Texas Medical Center just proves that the title will come true.

Houston may lose out in the "battle" (may), but I don't think so. I believe this year's estimates will show Houston gaining more ground on Atlanta's growth.
great post i agree 100%

Old 11-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Philly is definitely apart of the thread. It's one of the poll options.
But the glory and superiority of Philadelphia certainly isn't the topic of this thread...and there is simply no need for the incessant boastfulness when it so obviously is coming from his insecurity about his city. It's sad, really...

Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Let's love one another:

I smell so much hatred.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
If you don't want to hear the truth about Philadelphia I suggest you refrain from coming into an Atlanta thread to brag about how Philly is so far superior to Atlanta. We are only hospitable to an extent and have no problem putting loud-mouth, insecure bashers where they belong.

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. Deal with it. Atlanta is nowhere near the low-level of Philadelphia...it's completely obvious.
I suppose it is you who refuses to hear the truth.

Here are official statistics from the US Census Bureau.

State and County QuickFacts

Percentage of people living below the poverty line (2000)

Atlanta 24.4%
Philadlephia 22.9 %

I didnt even come hear to argue about cities. I actually tried cautioning you about overgrowth and used past cities including Philadlephia as an good example of the potential downfalls of unsustained growth.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Bo; 12-09-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: The motto of City-Datta is "We are here to help each other." If you can't reply without attacking, don't post here.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Philadelphia is one of the poorest, shabbiest dying cities in the U.S. Even if it hurts your feelings, it's true.

Oh...there is the superior attitude again...you tried "cautioning" us about Atlanta's growth by citing Philadelphia's superlative status. Thank you so much for that!

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. Did I say that yet?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM

I never knew a discussion like this could get so heated. Wowzers. rainrocks, sorry bro, but you need one of these: http://www.outmac.com/blog/wp-conten...01/fukitol.jpg

maybe break a small piece of for deacon .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.