Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,490 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify - I do have a car, but would prefer to be able to use public transportation. Marta by the way is not very efficient, constantly late and doesn't cover much of the area. Sorry to blow your bubble - Marta kinda sucks...
Anyway - I'm just looking for suggestions, thoughts, comments. Maybe even brainstroming... I don't expect anyone to recommend where I should move to. I was looking for thoughts as to where you guys would move to, how you would decide where to go and how you would even start the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilkee30 View Post
Just to clarify - I do have a car, but would prefer to be able to use public transportation. Marta by the way is not very efficient, constantly late and doesn't cover much of the area. Sorry to blow your bubble - Marta kinda sucks...
Anyway - I'm just looking for suggestions, thoughts, comments. Maybe even brainstroming... I don't expect anyone to recommend where I should move to. I was looking for thoughts as to where you guys would move to, how you would decide where to go and how you would even start the process.
Well, it certainly doesn't go to Alpharetta...living out there I doubt you have used Marta enough to really know, but whatever. As a consistent user of Marta, I have no idea what you mean by "constantly late". I thought we were talking about rail, not buses - and the trains are very consistent. No big deal though...apparently you aren't interested in moving into the city.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,777 times
Well, if you're just brainstorming....I think city and I think New York. There's a start.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
The OP here really needs to help us to help them.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I'm sorry, but if Atlanta has multiple train lines and 5 milion people; why does it only get a quarter million rides per day? Minneapolis get that with train line (singular) and a bunch of buses. I'm glad to hear that it can get people around the city, but those ridership numbers are a problem relative to the money invested in MARTA.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I would probably move to St. Louis, but public transportation isn't really a viable option there. It's alright, but nothing like New York's subways or San Fran's Street Cars.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I'm sorry, but if Atlanta has multiple train lines and 5 milion people; why does it only get a quarter million rides per day? Minneapolis get that with train line (singular) and a bunch of buses. I'm glad to hear that it can get people around the city, but those ridership numbers are a problem relative to the money invested in MARTA.
276,000 riders is RAIL ONLY...genius. Atlanta has buses too, or didn't you know? Bus and rail daily ridership on Marta is 551,000.

Minneapolis LRT system has 33,000 riders/day...adding bus ridership brings it to 240,000.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I guess you didn't read DeaconJ's explanation, or you don't know much about Atlanta. MARTA is almost entirely within the 285 loop which probably has a population of 7-800,000 or so. Besides lots of apartment and condo towers, there are office towers, IKEA, Bloomingdale's, Saks, Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, Georgia Tech, museums, the symphony, and the airport within walking distance of MARTA stations.

While it's true that the vast majority of Atlanta's MSA is well outside of MARTA's area, the city of Atlanta is pretty well served. I used to live in Atlanta and have used MARTA extensively, and I still do whenever I fly out of Atlanta (I park in Dunwoody and take MARTA to the airport). I have found MARTA to be very efficient and a wonderful alternative to driving everywhere in the city of Atlanta.

Last edited by JMT; 12-01-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I would probably move to St. Louis, but public transportation isn't really a viable option there. It's alright, but nothing like New York's subways or San Fran's Street Cars.
I would think it isn't a viable option in St. Louis with 67,000 daily riders - if Atlanta isn't viable.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I guess you didn't read DeaconJ's explanation, or you don't know much about Atlanta. MARTA is almost entirely within the 285 loop which probably has a population of 7-800,000 or so. Besides lots of apartment and condo towers, there are office towers, IKEA, Bloomingdale's, Georgia Tech, and the airport within walking distance of MARTA stations.

While it's true that the vast majority of Atlanta's MSA is well outside of MARTA's area, the city of Atlanta is pretty well served. I used to live in Atlanta and have used MARTA extensively, and I still do whenever I fly out of Atlanta (I park in Dunwoody and take MARTA to the airport). I have found MARTA to be very efficient and a wonderful alternative to driving everywhere in the city of Atlanta.
Thank you...people love to write off Marta as inefficient and limited, when there are only 5 or 6 cities in the U.S. with a better and more extensive system. Adding the Beltline and commuter rail to the mix will make it a very comprehensive system comparable to almost any U.S. city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.