Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,495 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm considering relocating - mainly because I don't enjoy living where I currently life (Alpharetta, GA). I'm a "city-person" - not a suburb person. The problem: I have no clue where I want to move to. I definitely want to move to a city (not suburbs). But how do you decide where to move to? And how do you find a job and an apartment?

I would enjoy a place where you don't necessarily need a car, have plenty of culture and entertainment (museums, theater, concerts, movies), possibly in walking distance. As an example - I love San Francisco. I wouldn't move there for multiple reasons, but are there other cities that are similar and have a similar feel??

Any ideas or suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
How much of a factor is cost of living? What didn't you like about San Francisco? That info can help narrow it down. With what you've provided so far, it sounds as if most of the older, densely populated cities would work. Another question would be what size city you're looking for. Aside from the high cost of living, you might like Boston, which sometimes seems like an eastern sister of Frisco. Maybe you'd be more comfortable with an east-coast vibe than a west-coast vibe, and could go for a city that is similar to Frisco, but different too. I dunno. The more details you could provide on what does and does not work for you, the better.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,731 times
Need more info. What can you afford, what can you do (work). How old are you. What are you looking for in a city. What coast would you prefer. If you can give a little more information I am sure there are people on here including myself who can help you.
Rick

Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Since you live in a suburb of Atlanta, have you thought about moving 40 minutes down GA400? I would hate living in Alpharetta too...BIG difference living in the suburbs of Atlanta as opposed to living in the city of Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Since you live in a suburb of Atlanta, have you thought about moving 40 minutes down GA400? I would hate living in Alpharetta too...BIG difference living in the suburbs of Atlanta as opposed to living in the city of Atlanta.
seems like it would be difficult to live in Atlanta without a car. i'm sure it's possible but not easy.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Not difficult at all to live in Atlanta without a car - a lot of people do it. Marta is the 7th busiest system in the U.S. with 280,000 riders/day.

Marta Map
http://www.itsmarta.com/images/rail_map_2008.jpg (broken link)
MARTA - Getting There - Rail Schedules & Maps (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm - broken link)

The first phases of the Beltline have already begun...it is the circular LRT system on this map
http://www.itsmarta.com/images/beltline/Study%20Area%20Map.jpg (broken link)
MARTA - Beltline Corridor Project (http://www.itsmarta.com/newsroom/beltline2008/maps.html - broken link)

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Not difficult at all to live in Atlanta without a car - a lot of people do it. Marta is the 7th busiest system in the U.S. with 280,000 riders/day.

Marta Map

MARTA - Getting There - Rail Schedules & Maps (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm - broken link)

The first phases of the Beltline have already begun...it is the circular LRT system on this map

MARTA - Beltline Corridor Project (http://www.itsmarta.com/newsroom/beltline2008/maps.html - broken link)
that doesn't look very sufficient. a large part of the city is not connected to MARTA. can the OP really travel around the city easily using MARTA?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
that doesn't look very sufficient. a large part of the city is not connected to MARTA. can the OP really travel around the city easily using MARTA?
Oh my God...whatever. Not falling into an argument with someone who knows nothing about the system. The OP lives in the Atlanta suburbs...my reply was to the OP and I'll answer his questions.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Oh my God...whatever. Not falling into an argument with someone who knows nothing about the system. The OP lives in the Atlanta suburbs...my reply was to the OP and I'll answer his questions.
sorry, i wasn't trying to argue with you. i know nothing about MARTA. that's why i was asking. from the pics you posted it didn't look very sufficient. that's why i brought it up. but if you feel that it will cause an argument than please just ignore my post.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 PM

No problem. You might want to look a little closer at those maps I posted...it covers the entire Atlanta area inside the Perimete (I-285).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.