Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Then followed by 5-6 months of brutality. LOL

Its funny seeing everyone's preferances... interesting actually!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
More like 4 months (June, July, August, and September). The way I see it is 4 months of brutally hot weather, 2 months of tolerable weather, and 6 months of perfect weather.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Trust me, out west, especially in the summer, its a fight to keep your skin from cracking and bleeding. The lips chap, the nose bleeds, the throat feels like sandpaper,the hair cracks, LOL. If you live out west, conditioner, lotion, lip balm are the norm. I suppose you could get accustomed to it over time, but its pretty miserable.

I enjoyed your response to my post. Id agree there. Food makes the world go round, no doubt. When I vacation every year in areas of the country, it really makes me wonder how they get by, seriously. Its funny, when I have people visit us here, they go on and on and on and on about the food and how good it is. When family comes back to visit, the first thing they do is unpack the bags and head to the closest restaurant (not chain) they can find and they gorge themselves. LOL
Especially in the summer? Wow!

Up here (probably like Chicago) some people get dry skin and chapped lips, but that's pretty much a winter phenonmenon. As long as it's above 40 F it's not dry enough to chap lips usually.

Throat feeling like sandpaper? I can only imagine. Is it like having a bad cough or cold?

In the summer, I'm amazed when it's dry enough that if you pour water onto a hard surface, like a sidewalk, when you can actually watch the puddle evaporate. Normally a wet spot maybe 2 feet in diameter would take half an hour to dry up, even in direct sunshine. The days that I'm talking about the same wet spot can be gone in 2-3 minutes.

I don't eat out myself much, but when I do I appreciate the selection we have. I also learned recently that many other parts of North America have different ideas of what pizza is.

A friend of mine went to NYC and he told me that there many pizza place's pizza the crust is very thin and the pizza itself is soaked in grease.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Its funny seeing everyone's preferances... interesting actually!
Toronto's climate in a way also has 5-6 months of brutality for me.

Below 55 F, I need to wear gloves to keep my fingers from going purple and hurting. Having 200 plus days a year where at some point I need gloves for the cold gets old fast.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:05 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
I would never live in an area that didn't have a true 4-season climate. I don't like extremes, single-season weather, or lack of sunshine. Love variety! That's why I enjoy where I live (Charlotte area).

Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I would never live in an area that didn't have a true 4-season climate... or lack of sunshine. Love variety!
Lack of sunshine certain times of year doesn't count as exciting seasonal change?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I totally agree living in a place with one season like I currently do in Miami. Gets old. 4-seasons really is a great thing. December in Miami we had 26 days above 80 degrees plus humidity, which makes it feel even warmer. To some that would sound great. But when it is that warm during the holiday season, it doesn't help to put you in the holiday spirit, like when there is a chill in the air. We are looking to move, but haven't found that right place, but it will have 4 seasons for sure.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
More like 4 months (June, July, August, and September). The way I see it is 4 months of brutally hot weather, 2 months of tolerable weather, and 6 months of perfect weather.
I find that very appealing, which is a part of why I'm heading out that way. No matter where you go pretty much, there is going to be some form of extreme unpleasant weather to have to deal with. It's all a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

Here in New Jersey, I find winters to last too long, and I think they're depressing. Our springs more often than not are cold and rainy anymore, where you could go well into May before seeing any consistently warm weather. Our summers can be nasty in their own right with the humidity (which I REALLY hate). Out of the 12 months of the year, weather-wise, I can't stand a good 8 or 9 of 'em.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Weather is very important. That was basically how I started the search:

1) Weather
2) Geography/Topography
3) Job Market/Economy
4) Population/Demographics...you get the idea.

Here in Germany, it rains or is cloudy the vast majority of the year. Then there is summer. That is when the most sunny days are and there are a lot of them. Weeks on end sometimes. It can be hot, but rarely oppressive. It lasts for about 6-9 weeks and then it is gone again and I am glad. I can only take so much high summer. Except for the crappy winters (as I define them), I really like the weather here. I found mostly what I wanted around the eastern portions of WNY and Vermont looking at the weather stats and talking to the people from the areas.

Other things certainally factor in, but the weather is a large part in how I figure my satisfaction with an area.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Weather is very important

Weather is very important in choosing a place to live but I doubt everyone can have the ideal situation. It ranks up there with a lot of other factors like cost of living, traffic, hassle factors, convenience, crime, no natural disasters possible, etc.

I like to look at it by asking how many days of the year could I go outside in a particular location and be reasonably comfy? SE Ohio you might be in the 270 days a year range or so.

You can argue very few places will qualify for 365 days of the year. Hawaii sort of might but it is island(s) and some how you would have to hook it to something like Virginia for me to live there or build some long, long bridges. Plus it is boring after awhile. So you need some variations.

San Francisco / Bay area might rate pretty high on my list for year round weather. I hate a place that will bake my brains out in the summer, it is just not being super cold in winter.

You probably can justify a lot of places if you can escape their periods of extremes for part of the time.

Boston was one of the worse for me. Maybe 20 days a year really first rate, sometime in October and even that was not iron clad certain. Something wrong with most days in regard to weather. Put all of the rest of negatives on top of that, it is crazy to live there.

If you can avoid staying in SE Ohio in the months of January-February can be about as good as you can get in practical terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.