Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your General Opinion of Pennsylvania?
Mostly Positive 30 52.63%
Mostly Negative 8 14.04%
Neutral 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
If your talking specfically about the south- people from an urban area like NY don't blend in as well. In the south it's very important to blend in. Conformity is always very important.

In other parts people don't care about that as much. They are much more used to differences so they won't be as negative on people that are LESS LIKE THEM.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
If your talking specfically about the south- people from an urban area like NY don't blend in as well. In the south it's very important to blend in. Conformity is always very important.

In other parts people don't care about that as much. They are much more used to differences so they won't be as negative on people that are LESS LIKE THEM.

Bingo!
But I think it goes beyond just "The South". Anyplace that has little shift in population or a physical, geographical need for interaction breeds an intolerance.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 PM

114 posts, read 207,560 times
In the south it is important to have some basic manners. If you come down here thinking you are better than the natives and treating us rudely we will not view you in a positive light. That is not to say all people from NY/NJ fit that description. I have met some great people from those states but, in my experience, Pennsylvanians seem to be nicer, more respectful people.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
^^^ It can also go the other way. I've seen plenty of tourists in New York, that act down right rude, I guess they feel they need an "attitude" in order to "fit in" I think it is mostly stereotypes. NJ almost always get a bad rap, but once one leave the urban areas and the indutrial sites, NJ is one beautiful -and expensive- place.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
I heard "I want my Wawa!" in Boston too many times to put positive, but I did.

I agree with Houstoner. It has to do a lot with the fact that New York and New Jersey are overexposed, whereas people not close to Pennsylvania hardly think about it (negatively) at all.

I visited Pennsylvania and I thought it was great, in any case.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I thought everyone just hates NJ only

I know PA, and NY hates NJ, but I do not know why

NYers are also hated, but they in turn hate NJ

NYers, and NJers are more brash, PA is more polite, I went to PSU so I know

NYer, and NJers have a more Kill or be Killed Tude, while PA has more live and let live tude

Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
In the south it is important to have some basic manners. If you come down here thinking you are better than the natives and treating us rudely we will not view you in a positive light. That is not to say all people from NY/NJ fit that description. I have met some great people from those states but, in my experience, Pennsylvanians seem to be nicer, more respectful people.
It's not usually about people thinking they are better. That is exception to the rule anyway.

Different is bad.
Different is bad.
Different is bad.

That is the mantra for much of the south - no matter how polite one can be. And yes that is true in other places too- especially when undergoing a population shift. It is not disrespectful to have a contrary world view. That's just reality outside of whatever bubble you live in.

You can call someone rude for reasons that are just ridiculous.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'll go with the taxes answer.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj chutzpah View Post
i thought everyone just hates nj only

i know pa, and ny hates nj, but i do not know why

nyers are also hated, but they in turn hate nj

nyers, and njers are more brash, pa is more polite, i went to psu so i know

nyer, and njers have a more kill or be killed tude, while pa has more live and let live tude
lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.