Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

Trying to remember...once you live in a state, you are a resident as far as the state is concerned (you can apply for a drivers license right away, etc.), but I think to obtain state financial aid and state tuition rates, you have to live in the state for 6 - 12 months. I had that problem when I moved from PA to NJ and was in college; I did not qualify for state financial aid right away. I was going to a private school; I am not sure if a state school would at least have given me state tuition rates right away. These are good questions to think about and you would want to call the potential school's financial aid department and ask. Community colleges are great, they are so much cheaper. I would try to choose a school in a more populated area, which will be more likely to have cheap housing. What I would do: I would write down all the cities I am interested in, and I would look up their crime rates, average cost of living, nearby schools, and economy/job opportunity statistics. I would eliminate any cities/areas that were expensive to live in, had poor job growth, or not enough affordable housing.

Here are some links that may help you:
//www.city-data.com/ (crime, schools)
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm (jobs)
http://www.collegeboard.com/splash/ (schools - detailed info)
http://www.apartments.com/ (apartments)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 12:52 PM

53 posts, read 307,877 times
Take advantage of your Iowa residency and finish your degree there. They have good schools. If you move you'll likely have to wait a year to get in-state tuition plus who knows what credits will transfer. Two, three, four years isn't really that long, plus you can spend the time researching where you might like to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.