Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM

139 posts, read 501,210 times

Advertisements

According to my school 100% of people who have graduated from here with this degree have had job offers almost instantly. Anybody have an experience in this field? Any advice on the best city for "moving up the ladder"?

Also, currently I'm looking for an internship in this field, I live in Michigan, but I would really like to travel for a summer and try something new. Any advice for finding internships in the big cities? Should I look online or is it better to go in person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
"Info Systems"??? Is that Computer Science?

If so, would look into regions w/major finance (esp trading is heavily computer systems dependent) and tech industries

Closest relevant region is Chicago; would also look into SiliconValley

Figure out where alums of your college and major are employed (in management roles w/ability to hire people) and contact them for leads

Cold-call major hedge funds in Chicago, SV, etc

Any desirable internship/job has many, many highly qualified applicants/job, so need to be creative in distinguishing one's record and enthusiasm

Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,169 times
It's a tough job market. I was looking for IT type jobs back in 2001-02 in the previous recession and I was stuck looking for months. That was in a pretty hot IT area (Dallas). Not trying to get you down - just letting you know that if you encounter difficulties in finding a job, don't blame yourself - it may just be because of the state of the economy.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Think outside the box. Your typical "tech" cities like Austin, San Francisco, and Seattle will likely be the most difficult job search environment because SO many tech graduates are trying to get jobs there. Go where you can find a job. Mid sized markets would be a good bet because they aren't as cutthroat and they aren't as attractive to other grads.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I'd recommend the NYC area (tri-state region) or the Boston region. I work in IT sales and we are seeing a major slow-down in available positions, but there is a constant flow of available positions with major corporations in the NYC and Boston areas. Also, there is a strong presence in cities such as Hartford, Providence, and Stamford, CT.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd recommend the NYC area (tri-state region) or the Boston region. I work in IT sales and we are seeing a major slow-down in available positions, but there is a constant flow of available positions with major corporations in the NYC and Boston areas. Also, there is a strong presence in cities such as Hartford, Providence, and Stamford, CT.
What is the position to graduate ratio in NYC? In Austin, it's quite normal to have thousands of applicants for one entry level position.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 PM

139 posts, read 501,210 times
Just so everybody knows its actually a Business Degree, the official name is Bachelors of Science in Business Adminstration w/ a Major in Management Information Systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.