Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

I never noticed Syracuse being that ethnic. They must not be first generations, because no one in the area was from another country who I met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Well, here in Stockton CA, mexican and white have the biggest populations. Most of the immigrants from Mexico live on the East side, but they actually live all over the area.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I never noticed Syracuse being that ethnic. They must not be first generations, because no one in the area was from another country who I met.
Some are. Our Vietnamese community definately is pretty new and if you went down Butternut or Lodi Streets on our Northside, you will see Vietnamese establishments. Actually, down North Salina Street you see some african stores too. Some newer immigrants also work at the University and live on the Eastside by the campus. There are some Italians that are pretty recent. A lot of the Hispanic community is too. Some come from downstate, but some come directly from Puerto Rico, Cuba and a few Mexicans, Dominicans, etc.....

Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I still never met one person from the entire area who was from another country, and I was there for college for 3 years.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I still never met one person from the entire area who was from another country, and I was there for college for 3 years.
Well, it depends where you go in Syracuse. I drive through the Northside either to and/or from work at night and there definately is a Vietnamese community in Syracuse. Some are even moving into the Liverpool area closer to Syracuse by Carousel Center. That area is actually very diverse, but pretty poor to working class. For instance, I work at SU and I've met people just in my department that were originally from Lebanon, Italy, Bosnia(forgot them too, mostly on the East side of the city too by the University) and the Ukraine. If you went to places like Jerk Hut on South Ave. or Jamaica Finger Lick on West Onondaga, you would know we have a few Jamaicans and some other Caribbean people too. We actually have a little festival. That's where you meet people from other countries. At the cultural festivals at Clinton Square in downtown Syracuse, you will see and meet people from other countries. Our Hispanic community is growing steadily. Same with our Asian community. I would think you could meet some people from other countries in a city with a world class university.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Please list the various ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods in your city..I'll start off with Los Angeles:

Africans/Afro-Caribbean/Belizean - Crenshaw/Inglewood (Market St./La Brea and Manchester).
African Americans - Ladera Heights/Windsor Hills/View Park/Baldwin Hills/Leimert Park/Crenshaw + South LA/Inglewood/Compton/Hawthorne (South LA= Jefferson Park, Mid-City, Arlington Heights, West Adams, Crenshaw District and Lennox) and a few holdovers (~30%) in the Miracle Mile.
Armenians - Glendale, East Hollywood, Montebello, Van Nuys and Anaheim.
Brazilians - Culver City/Palms area.
Cambodians - Anaheim Street in Long Beach.
Central Americans - usually intermixed with Mexicans, but dedicated neighborhoods exist in Westlake/MacAurthur Park/Pico-Union/Rampart districts.
Chinese - SGV (South Pasadena, Monterey Park, Alhambra, Arcadia etc) + Diamond Bar, Azusa, Rowland Heights.
Ethiopians - Little Ethiopia.
Western European expats - Santa Monica.
Filipinos - Historic Filipino Town, Cerritos, Walnut, Long Beach, Carson, various suburbs etc.
Indians - Artesia, Van Nuys and Canoga Park.
Japanese - no real central lotus, but there is Little Tokyo and Sawtelle + Gardena and the South Bay.
Jews - Fairfax District + Pico/Robertson district (working class ones) West LA/Beverly Hills/Tarzana/Southern SFV (upper class ones) ; SFV= Encino, Woodland Hills, Calabasas and Sherman Oaks.
Persian Jews - (same as above) but especially Westwood + Woodland Hills.
Koreans - Koreatown, Wilshire Center, Gardena, Torrance, Northridge and various SGV suburbs.
Mexicans - all over.
Russians/Ukrainians - West Hollywood (think Palmer Park) and also the Fairfax District (the ones there are mainly Jewish though).
Samoans/Polynesians - Long Beach/Carson nexus.
Thai - Thai Town in East Hollywood.
Vietnamese - Little Saigon in the OC, Westminster, Garden Grove, as well as LA's Chinatown.

-----------------

Hipsters - Venice, the Silverlake/Los Feliz/Echo Park/East Hollywood nexus, and the Downtown Arts District; growing numbers in Koreatown, Highland Park, Eagle Rock and Atwater Village (those neighborhoods are still gentrifying)..
East Hollywood? Is that a newly defined neighborhood, or are you just referring to the east side of Hollywood proper? Just curious, never heard the term before.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
It's the eastern side of Hollywood, which is kind of sleazy but is thankfully receiving some TLC through gentrification.

East Hollywood, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Cardinal Valley area of Lexington is mostly Hispanic

In Louisville the area around 7th Street Road and Central Ave is known as Little Sudan (tons of African immigrants, esp Somalis and Sudanese), Okolona (formerly a CDP, now a neighborhood in the new mergered city) is becoming mostly Hispanic, and Southside Dr has a large Vietnamese population (several thousand in one small area) and also lots of Arabs and Russians - this area has lots of great little ethnic grocery stores. The far NW corner of the city as well as areas along 3rd Street around I-264 is Louisville's "Hillbilly Ghetto", an area where most residents are recent transplants from rural Appalachia.
Sort of like a replay of Alexandria from what i gather.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Chinatown: self-explanatory

Little Saigon: Vietnamese, lots of ethnically Chinese by way of Vietnam

Albany Park: Mexican, Korean, Middle Eastern (emphasis on Lebanese) and Serbian, the lattermost explaining why this neighborhood is home to disgraced governor Rod Blagojevich

Irving Park: A few Romanian places still holding on; hints of Serbian (borders Albany Park);

Lincoln Square: German

Greektown: self-explanatory

Bridgeport: Irish, Italian, increasingly Mexican, some hints of Lithuanian still lingering, and some spillover from Chinatown

Pilsen and Little Village: Mexican

Humboldt Park: Puerto Rican

Jackowo: Polish

Clearing and Garfield Ridge: Polish with hints of Lithuanian

Beverly and Mount Greenwood: Irish

Edgewater: hints of Ethiopian here and there

West Ridge aka West Rogers Park: Indian, Paki, some old-school Jewish

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Please list the various ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods in your city..I'll start off with Los Angeles:

-----------------

Hipsters - Venice, the Silverlake/Los Feliz/Echo Park/East Hollywood nexus, and the Downtown Arts District; growing numbers in Koreatown, Highland Park, Eagle Rock and Atwater Village (those neighborhoods are still gentrifying)..
LOL at how you gave Hipsters their own category!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.