Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 8,051 times

Advertisements

Been through two somewhat major hurricanes in South Florida in 2004. Other than that, just tornado warnings and flash flood watches here in Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have. I was in Cancun right after Hurricane Wilma, and it was unreal - to say the least. What is really crazy is that today you can't really tell it ever happened, and it was worse than Katrina.

Can't really say the same thing for our own Gulf coast, which to me is an absolute crime.
Katrina wasnt nothing, what made it so bad was the wimpy levees broke..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Yes.
I was flying into Tokyo from Dallas-Fort Worth, and when I landed I found out that about an hour out of landing there was this huge earthquake over Sapporo in Honshu...which is about while I was flying over it... that was this summer...some of you may remember a little bit in the news about a couple dead in Japan due to the earthquake.
later that trip, I got hit by a tropical cyclone while I was in Manila, actually I was leaving Manila...heading back to the states and it hit...and the airport was unorganized so I sat in the blistering wind for about 2 hours...hooray...I wasn't the only one, but there was a big huddle of people just sitting there.
I also have witnessed a couple of Tornadoes in the area...here in DFW, and I remember seeing the aftermath of one... it wasn't too strong so it was HORRIBLE, but I was just like "whoa"...

I was also apparently in a Hurricane down in Houston when I was a little tyke, I don't remember...my parents told me we just sat it out at Embassy Suits while me and my brother played in the pool. I was too little to remember, and I'm talking about less then 5 years old here.
There was also actually a magnitude 5 earthquake right over my neighborhood... I didn't even feel it, but there was a big hoo-haa...it was literally beneath me, I've always wanted to feel an earthquake...and we don't get the often...every 20 year there is a small tremor no one notices... but this one was stronger...

And I left Hawaii right before some volcano blew, which was a shame cause I wanted to see some Lava alot closer then i had seen it at Volcanos NP.

As for living in Tornado Alley Mr. Brooklyn... I actually found that interesting... i didn't know that thx for posting ... remember things here are not as dense as NYC everything is closer to the ground and a Tornado is small so it only devastates a small area unlike a hurricane, but we have cellars, basements, and special buildings...and what not...it's not that bad, you could easily get used to it.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM

312 posts, read 507,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
i live in oklahoma city and ive seen a lot of tornadoes.
Oklahoma city has seen worse than natural disasters I wonder who Timothy McVeigh really was? did anyone watch "Arlington Road"?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
Oklahoma city has seen worse than natural disasters I wonder who Timothy McVeigh really was? did anyone watch "Arlington Road"?

true, i remember that too. i was 14 in class when it happened. 15 miles from downtown but shook the rafters in the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.