Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
New England is also in the Appalachian topographic belt. I was traveling through rural areas of Enfield and Grafton, NH today and it might as well have been West Virginia in terms of the very steep roads, dense forest cover, completely dilapidated housing stock in many areas along 4A, and old junk strewn out in the yards.
Good point! People tend to forget (including me when someone pointed it out) that the Appalachians stretch into New England and therefore has some of the Appalachian characteristics, strewn trash and all . I noticed that in parts of NH and ME when I was there last year. But then again, I noticed litter and "questionable" people in non-Appalachian parts of the country as well.

However, given the negative connations, Appalachia will always be portrayed in a bad light, despite it's many positive attributes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
its southern nowadays less so my dad is a little confused by it as well and is sort of an idiot by calling it the midwest when culturally it has been the south for years before it ever was callee the midwest

Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
both

Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 PM

69 posts, read 95,323 times
I think some of the Arkansas Ozarks are southern. I don't think Missouri feels very southern though. Maybe the bootheel but that's about it.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:23 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,722 times
The Missouri Ozarks are both, the Arkansas Ozarks are Southern.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:14 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The difference between Southern & Midwestern, to me, is pretty much based on if most people in the region are Southern Baptists or not.
I’ve seen so many different criteria on what’s denotes Southern that there clearly isn’t a consensus on this point. It seems we know it when we see it. Southern Baptist doesn’t do it for me nor does confederate flags. There are cultural indicators like vocabulary (maybe more than accent), cuisine, geographic details, cultural heritage, etc. There has been so much change over the past two generations we might need to consider new measures.

It is probably correct to consider the Arkansas Ozarks as more southern than not. The Missouri Ozarks are harder to classify. I consider the boot heel region to be southern bot Missouri’s Ozarks don’t fit that model very well. There were a lot more outside influences (French, Germans, Eastern European miners, vacationers and retirees, river culture, etc.) so there are many pockets and enclaves of different culture. Maybe the southernmost tier of Ozark (MO) counties are most southern except near the tourist zones. The rest is a mix.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:47 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times
It felt very Southern to me, including the Missouri Ozarks. Much of Missouri overall seems Southern to me.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:03 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Arkansas Ozarks are southern, Missouri Ozarks are pockets of southern & midwestern. The Mississippi River had some strange influences on immigration patterns. Sungrins had some good points about French & German influences along with the Scottish, Scots-Irish and even Irish influence in the Missouri Ozarks. Lead mining is a major industry as well.

You can hear some very strange dialects in the Missouri Ozarks.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
The Midwest is so varied. I live in Wisconsin, currently, and it's nothing like the Ozarks. Neither is Missouri, for that matter.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
I generally think of Ozarks as more Southern, but I haven't been there, so take it with a grain of salt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.