Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
There is some discussion of this over in the Portland Oregon forum //www.city-data.com/forum/portl...regonians.html
There is a certain amount of fuss about Californians in Oregon. There are plenty of Californians located where I live on the coast but they usually manage to fit in. Many of them are older, and retire to the area.
One thing I don't like is it seems we sometime change are laws to go along with California. They just passed all that non-smoking just about anywhere law. I don't see that we need to match our laws to our border states.
I remember years ago, people in Portland freaking out because there was the initial "rush" of Californians to their area. They would sell their SoCal homes for $$$$ and pay cash for local Portland homes, eventually driving up the prices to 2-3 times in some cases what they used to be. The SoCal people were still getting deals (to them) but the locals could no longer afford decent sized homes.

But that was a few years back. I think it leveled off a bit, and I've watched home prices online in the Portland area drop considerably over their peak during the California migration. Of course, these days, home prices are down just about everywhere, too.

I think the current "they're getting on my nerves" area is Boise, Idaho. A while back I noticed a few posts in there where apparently Californians are finding out Boise is a lot nicer with more to offer than they had thought, and they are now starting to filter over that way (with mixed reactions from the locals).

Here in Atlanta we've seen a steady increase in the number of Californians over the last few years, especially since the '96 Olympics. Our traffic and sprawl make the L.A. folks feel at home apparently , but the home prices are a lot cheaper.

Generally, Atlanta-proper is more of a mixing pot of folks from "all over", so they don't notice the Californians that much to be honest, but if they run into native-born locals (conservative, Baptist, Republican, etc etc) they sometimes may have culture/thought clashes. They're coming from all areas (L.A., San Fran, etc), so even by California standards it's still a real mix of folks migrating this way. It hasn't had a huge effect on our home prices going up quickly, because while we get the money folks from L.A. and NYC moving here, people are also coming here from places like Raleigh, Kansas City, and places like that, so it tempers the pricing a bit and one region's migration doesn't hike ours up as drastically as it might in other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
Well, we like to think that all those California transplants here in Salt Lake City are horrible drivers and show no courtesy on the streets (in truth, we're just trying to find a scapegoat ).

Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Yes, Californians have almost taken over Oregon (in certain spots!). However ~ and I have pissed off some people with this comment ~ Californians have done nothing that greedy Oregonians did now allow to happen. That goes for both realtors AND sellers. Money talks.
The same is true in Colorado!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I remember years ago, people in Portland freaking out because there was the initial "rush" of Californians to their area. They would sell their SoCal homes for $$$$ and pay cash for local Portland homes, eventually driving up the prices to 2-3 times in some cases what they used to be. The SoCal people were still getting deals (to them) but the locals could no longer afford decent sized homes.

But that was a few years back. I think it leveled off a bit, and I've watched home prices online in the Portland area drop considerably over their peak during the California migration. Of course, these days, home prices are down just about everywhere, too.

I think the current "they're getting on my nerves" area is Boise, Idaho. A while back I noticed a few posts in there where apparently Californians are finding out Boise is a lot nicer with more to offer than they had thought, and they are now starting to filter over that way (with mixed reactions from the locals).

Here in Atlanta we've seen a steady increase in the number of Californians over the last few years, especially since the '96 Olympics. Our traffic and sprawl make the L.A. folks feel at home apparently , but the home prices are a lot cheaper.

Generally, Atlanta-proper is more of a mixing pot of folks from "all over", so they don't notice the Californians that much to be honest, but if they run into native-born locals (conservative, Baptist, Republican, etc etc) they sometimes may have culture/thought clashes. They're coming from all areas (L.A., San Fran, etc), so even by California standards it's still a real mix of folks migrating this way. It hasn't had a huge effect on our home prices going up quickly, because while we get the money folks from L.A. and NYC moving here, people are also coming here from places like Raleigh, Kansas City, and places like that, so it tempers the pricing a bit and one region's migration doesn't hike ours up as drastically as it might in other areas.
You make us sound like wild animals. LOL.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM

180 posts, read 526,964 times
I used to live in Grand Junction, Colorado, and saw the impact of Californians moving to the area. I rented, and so I was not affected by home prices, but the average cost of a home in the 4 years I lived there rose $100,000. And it was worse in the mountains. Now, you barely can find a place to rent because a lot of younger natives starting out cannot afford a home, so they have to rent.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Californians, as people, themselves. Some of my best friends are natives of California, but its just the overall impact that a large amount of wealthier people can cause to an area that makes it hard to bare sometimes. It just so happens that they are from California. I agree, some try to bring their old lifestyle and expect the towns to change to their liking. But it seems most are actually just looking for a simpler life with less crime and crowds. And to them, almost anywhere is more affordable than California.

What seems to be happening is people are no longer satisfied with just vacationing in the mountains or the national parks. They want to have it year-round. I know a lot of people who would come to Colorado on a trip, and right away fall in love with the scenery. Next thing you know, they're moving their life to Colorado so they can enjoy it all the time. This is happening to a lot of great, beautiful places like Jackson, WY, Bozeman, MT, Missoula, MT, Coeur d'Alene, ID, and even Santa Fe, NM just to name a few.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
No, I love Californians!
Thank you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Well Californians are just people like you and me, it's not really about Californians moving to your area, it's about a MASS EXODUS of californians moving to your area after they sold their house for cash that drive up prices and generally change the landscape adding to sprawl, crime and traffic in generally a rural, slowpaced and dry landscape.

I don't think anyone should complain about one or two Californians moving to your area, but when 100,000 do in a short period of time like Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Utah that is certainly a concern. California is a beautiful and fun place, but let's keep our distinct states unique, we really don't need 5 Californias do we.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
California is a beautiful and fun place, but let's keep our distinct states unique, we really don't need 5 Californias do we.
That would be some nightmare, wouldn't it? To say nothing of the confusion it would cause with all those zip codes starting with 9.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Their misconception of what something costs and the ability to have money to pay for it. Yes it does drive up housing costs. And that drags everything else up. The second reason is they are wanting to bring their ideas and troubles with them!!!!! JUST what they were wanting to leave!!!
They don't realize/care about the local wages or how government works. They over time get the local rules and regulations changed or misguided to their wants.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Their misconception of what something costs and the ability to have money to pay for it. Yes it does drive up housing costs. And that drags everything else up. The second reason is they are wanting to bring their ideas and troubles with them!!!!! JUST what they were wanting to leave!!!
They don't realize/care about the local wages or how government works. They over time get the local rules and regulations changed or misguided to their wants.
can you provide examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.